Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:41:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Can anyone help me with the title of this (music) book?

Started by iamcoop, February 02, 2023, 08:18:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iamcoop

Hi all, sorry to post this as I know these sorts of threads are really annoying but this has been bugging me for years now.

About twenty years ago I read an autobiography of a guy (from Birmingham I think but I might be wrong) who was obsessed with rock music and eventually ended up playing in a hair metal band. After things get slightly serious and they feel like they're about to get somewhere grunge hits and suddenly he realises his band (and the genre) are completely obsolete overnight and his dreams are smashed. I remember there being an amusing passage about how they couldn't possibly get anywhere as a group anymore as suddenly everyone was wearing cardigans etc.

I know this is very vague but I remember really enjoying the book, (as did my dad so I know it's not some weird fever dream).

I gave my copy away to Oxfam years ago, and whilst I know the details I've listed are vague, no amount of googling gives me any ideas at all.

Perhaps the guy went on to become a journalist or something?

Anyway if anyone can help it would be appreciated, also if this thread immediately dies a death then that's fair enough as well.

Anyway cheers x

Famous Mortimer

Rudy Sarzo, formerly of Ozzy's band, has written a book, although I'm not sure it fits.

Do you remember why you bought the book? Did you like any of the author's music? Are you sure it was an autobiography? A bloke who was nearly famous doesn't sound like that interesting a story - did he go on to do anything else that you can remember, or play with a future star?

Sorry for bombarding you with questions, but hopefully pondering one of them will spark something for you.

flotemysost

Probably a different era/genres to what you're describing, but it's not Sick On You is it?

Edit: ignore me, didn't see your chronology. 2016 does feel about twenty years ago now tbf.

Pranet

I can't help but I want to read this book now.

Don't suppose you bought if off amazon did you? If so it will still be on your list of purchases.

Sounds like it could be Seb Hunter's Hell Bent for Leather.

jobotic

I would say it was that too. I haven't read it but I remember reading about it on another site. Synopsis talks about grunge killing heavy metal which would explain the cardigans.

iamcoop

Quote from: Small Potatoes on February 03, 2023, 08:12:40 PMSounds like it could be Seb Hunter's Hell Bent for Leather.

It might be this!

Cover looks different but the synopsis sounds about right. Thanks! (And thanks to everyone else for their suggestions.)

willbo

oh I read that when it came out, I remember it well. Kind of similar to that newer Andrew O Neill book too