Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:39:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Which Smart Phone?

Started by Garfield And Friends, August 09, 2010, 08:59:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Subtle Mocking

Quote from: Beagle 2 on August 20, 2013, 01:39:27 PM
It's new phone time, I'm fucked off with my Galaxy Ace, it's a waste of time. I've decided to dump Giff Gaff (even though they're great) just so I can get a free war bastard of a phone. I'm torn between the S4 and the HTC one, although the Nexus 4 looks like a decent budget option. Any thoughts? And is anybody on 3, as they seem to be the cheapest.

The HTC is apparently better (though only just), but I must ask: Is expandable storage preferable for you, or is in-built storage sufficient? If you've got everything on an SD card, go for the S4.

Beagle 2

I do have a 64 gig SD card at the mo, and it's handy I must admit, but I don't really care as I'll be getting unlimited internet whatever I get and will just stream most stuff. The camera's important though, and though I've read articles claiming that the HTC one is better, I just can't see that it is, the S4 images look far superior from the samples.

I like the sound of wireless charging also. I'm leaning towards the S4. It's a big bugger though, will render my Nexus 7 completely useless basically.

Subtle Mocking

There's also the slightly smaller S4 Mini if you find the size of the S4 a bit daunting. I've been faithful to Samsung since the S2, and other than the odd issue of it getting rather warm when I've got a few things running and their Kies software being nigh-on useless, I've never really had any problem with them.

Might be best to go to a few phone shops and muck about with the OS for a little bit, hold the phone in your hand and see if you like the look and feel of it. This article which compares the S4 and One with the iPhone and Nokia 1020 seems to imply that the S4's camera is better than that of the One.

MojoJojo

I like my HTC One. I think the camera is OK, but if you're really interested in best quality it may not be the best. One thing that is a bit unfair about that camera comparison article is their 3 rounds are all bright outdoor shots, while the HTC One has a low-megapixel count camera to improve low-light (well, not bright sunshine) shots, and I do find it a lot better at indoor shots than my last phone. But I haven't compared that to anything recent.

So it depends what you want - the HTC One is (in theory) better in lower light, but won't do as well in well lit scenes.

The speakers are surprisingly good. It looks good.

Replies From View

Quote from: Beagle 2 on August 20, 2013, 01:39:27 PM
And is anybody on 3, as they seem to be the cheapest.

I am - on an unlimited internet data package for around £35 a month, which suits me well.  I don't have any major problems with 3; sometimes phoning them up is a bit of a pain in the arse but that's to be expected really.  I sometimes wish I had the perk of that cinema thing Orange do, but I'm not fussed about that for very long.

Beagle 2

Right, well I've ordered a Samsung S4 on 3, the unlimited one with tethering for £33 a month (plus VAT I imagine). Really sad to leave giffgaff and would recommend them to anyone, but I couldn't go on with this heap of junk.

Subtle Mocking

Good choice. I think they released an update recently meaning that less of the internal storage is taken up, so it's worth looking for that once you get it.

Blinder Data

So I'm thinking of getting my first ever smartphone. I've been considering an iPhone mainly because I have a Macbook and then can act like a multi-platform Apple twat. However since joining giffgaff I like not having a contract and it seems impossible to pick up an contract-free iPhone for a good price from a place that isn't a dodgy-shop near a train station.

Does anyone have any tips on how to buy a contract-free iPhone for not much money? Or recommend a contract-free smartphone for not much money? I'm tempted by the Nexus 4 as well that new budget Motorola thingy.

Famous Mortimer

Have you tried eBay?  There's some bastards on there, but if you stick with the 100% feedback people you should be alright.

Jawaka

Quote from: Blinder Data on November 21, 2013, 01:52:02 PM
So I'm thinking of getting my first ever smartphone. I've been considering an iPhone mainly because I have a Macbook and then can act like a multi-platform Apple twat. However since joining giffgaff I like not having a contract and it seems impossible to pick up an contract-free iPhone for a good price from a place that isn't a dodgy-shop near a train station.

Does anyone have any tips on how to buy a contract-free iPhone for not much money? Or recommend a contract-free smartphone for not much money? I'm tempted by the Nexus 4 as well that new budget Motorola thingy.

The new Motorola one is pretty nice. Apparently it can be unlocked for only a couple of quid too (The one from Tesco is locked). As for the Nexus 4, they were cheap a month or so back when Google were getting rid of their stock, now however people are asking for £100 more, ish. Not sure about second hand market.

Basically, going by reviews the Motorola G is THE budget smartphone, the only other one I can think of is the Blade V, it's got similar spec but only Virgin (maybe Vodafone) is selling it right now. A cheaper Chinese model may exist somewhere, but you read good and bad about them.

Also consider tablets, depends what you want from a phone etc. There's a tablet discussion thread round here somewhere but I don't know if it really kicked off.

I've got a HTC One XL. I love this phone dearly, but it's about as physically big as you'd want a phone. I've seen ladies and gentlemen about with even larger ones, but at a certain point, they're just a tiny awkward tablet. I feel my phone is the absolute dividing line. You need the right combination of deep pockets and tiny junk. The camera's awkwardly designed, it's out on the exterior so it feels like it's pretty easy to scratch the lense since you're generally going to be lying it on it's back, which is now on a slight angle.

Doesn't worry me though, mine's actually still in perfect condition despite it, so maybe it just seems like it's a poor decision but is actually perfectly safe, but also because I don't think I've ever bothered taking photos on my phone. I've never loved a phone more, and if I could just stick with this phone for the rest of my life, I'd be perfectly happy.

Jerzy Bondov

I bought one of them Moto Gs on Monday because I was fed up with my old Desire Z and flipping heck lads it's a revelation. I can press a thing and then it does what it is supposed to literally straight away. I can't believe it. If you don't need one of these massive phones with loads of memory and cutting edge 3D graphics technology and a load of flashy features that seem good but won't get used then get one of them Moto Gs. For £130 unlocked you're not going to find anything close to as good. Plus you can get coloured backs for it like an old Nokia or something, YEAHHH!!! Cheers

The Duck Man

So, this is going to be a bit of a thought splurge.

I need a new phone, and was thinking of buying the Nexus 5 outright from Google.

I don't really want to paying much more than £25 on a smartphone. When I got my HTC Desire in March 2011 I started on a plan of £25 a month for two years,[nb]Not counting the insurance which I failed to cancel, wasting either £7 a month for 8 months or £8 for 7, I forget.[/nb] then I took up a £10:50 SIM only deal when that ran out earlier in the year.

The Nexus 5 is £339 - that's £14:25 a month. So I ideally I wouldn't want to pay much more than the £10:50 SIM only deal I have with Vodafone (300 minutes, 250mb data, unlimited texts which covers me fine) which doesn't run out til March. I've been with Vodafone since I got a phone in 2003 and I have no great inclination to change, even though they seem offer neither good extras (Orange Wednesdays etc.) or cheap deals (GiffGaff etc.). And there's a massive signal hole in my living room - albeit I'll move out in about six months. On the plus side, they don't spam me.

I can keep my Vodafone SIM only deal running until it concludes in March, then on a month-by-month basis from then. HOWEVER, what that package lacks is 4G. Is 4G particularly worth it? My housemate says it isn't, but I live in central Manchester so (apart from in my living room) I can't imagine the signal being patchy. I doubt I'd be streaming much video on the go though, and my internet browsing isn't so sustained that it's likely to tip me over 250mb a month.

I suppose I'd be a position where I can keep my existing contract until around this time next year, then hope the SIM only deals have come down to the extent that I can pay my desired amount and get 4G (might they come down that much?). And I'd still get a top-level new phone now and wouldn't be locked down to an expensive deal by getting a free-phone deal with 4g (on that front Vodafone don't even seem to offer the Nexus 5, which their cheapest Galaxy S4 on 4g is £42 for 2 years).

So... I'm rambling. Any advice?

MojoJojo

4G isn't worth it. At least until someone starts doing it with some sort of sensible data allowances.

Also look at a Motorola Moto G phone - excellent cheap phone. Although that doesn't support 4G.

Replies From View

Quote from: Blinder Data on November 21, 2013, 01:52:02 PM
I have a Macbook and then can act like a multi-platform Apple twat.

I have more than one Apple device and I just want to say that this multi-platform idea is not all that it's cracked up to be.  Not yet, anyway.  Basically there's some fairly limited synching up of photos you've taken which can easily be done by other means, and there's synchronisation of other things like calendars, note applications and so on.  All of which can be done by other means and in fact I use Evernote, Dropbox and so on far more than I do Apple's own brand.

It doesn't help that my Macbook Pro is running Snow Leopard due to its age, which means it has no iCloud access and has to be left out of the equation, but speaking about my phone and tablet alone, it's really no great thing to have devices from a single company.  I remember assuming a while back that the two Apple devices would communicate brilliantly because they were made to complement and complete each other, swapping files back and forth instantly, acting as alternative screens for each other, and so on.  But nope, at least not yet.  Instead, go mental and spill a bit of jizz on a coffee table.

Marty McFly

I'm with Ovivo now, using a Nexus 4. I paid £15 for the SIM and that gives me £15 in perpetual credit if I go over the free monthly allowance of 200 Mins / 300 Texts / 500MB Data. It uses the Vodafone network. The only drawback is you get one of those time-delayed banner ads occasionally when browsing. They also have other plans.

The Nexus 4 is a great phone, battery life isn't wonderful though and it's hard-wired into the phone so you can't buy a replacement. This and the lack of Micro SD are limiting factors for some, so your mileage may vary. I've had mine for 8 months now and the battery's got worse in the last few weeks, but this seems to be standard with most smartphones these days. No need for a new phone until this one becomes unusable; I'll probably get another year or so out of it. If I was buying one now I'd go for the Nexus 5.

I switched over to Windows Phone from Android recently, with the Nokia Lumia 920.

While it is true that the App selection is significantly reduced - actually, lets call it as it is and just say outright that the apps on Windows Store suck an enormous amount of dicks compared to iOS and Android - I'm actually really liking it. The key word is synergy.

I like that it merges your Contacts with their Facebook and potentially Twitter/LinkedIn/other social networks I've never heard of so that everything that goes on with a person is contained within a single window. Equally, texting and Facebook chat are merged too.

One of my main reasons for buying it was discovering that Nokia Maps allows you to download maps from regions so that you don't have to spend a fortune on roaming data charges if you travel to another country and get lost - you just have the map on your phone. Bloody obvious idea, and will be really appreciated on my next travels.

Equally, every picture and video you take can be set to be uploaded onto your SkyDrive when you're on a WiFi connection, which has just been a revelation for me. I was so sick of Samsung's fucking awful Kies software, and Bluetooth doesn't really seem to have "happened" on Windows - I always have to send each file individually. Seemed backwards. Now I don't even have to do anything and everything ends up on my computer anyway.

It helps that I've always had a Hotmail account, and I've always used Windows. If I were a Mac user then maybe I'd have gone with an iPhone but this phone is only £207, and I got it cheaper than that with Tesco Clubcard Boost, down to an astonishing £168 for a sim-free unlocked phone.

If you absolutely have to have a wide range of apps then Windows Phone isn't for you. But if, like me, you found that you don't really bother with gaming on a phone because it's fucking awful then perhaps save the cash and go with that. I HEARTILY recommend the Nokia Lumia 920.

VegaLA

The Windows phone UI does look rather slick...considering getting one myself once my current contract is up. Been using Android on a Sammy GS3 and Moto Droid X for the past 3 years so a change is in order.

Do you use Xbox Live? If so how does that look on the 920?

MojoJojo

Quote from: The Region Legion on December 14, 2013, 01:45:42 AM
I like that it merges your Contacts with their Facebook and potentially Twitter/LinkedIn/other social networks I've never heard of so that everything that goes on with a person is contained within a single window. Equally, texting and Facebook chat are merged too.

My HTC Desire did that almost 4 years ago.
Equally, every picture and video you take can be set to be uploaded onto your SkyDrive when you're on a WiFi connection, which has just been a revelation for me.
Standard Android (except with google instead of skydrive, obvs),

If you absolutely have to have a wide range of apps then Windows Phone isn't for you. But if, like me, you found that you don't really bother with gaming on a phone because it's fucking awful then perhaps save the cash and go with that. I HEARTILY recommend the Nokia Lumia 920.

It does look pretty slick. I'm just a bit puzzled you've picked out features that have been on android for years as being exceptional.

Milo

Equally, offline maps has been in Android for a good while.

(though having just tried it doesn't seem particularly good).

MojoJojo

Yeah, I was going to mention it but I remembered it wasn't very good, and I wouldn't trust it if I was going abroad. There are free satnav apps that let you do it but they use the free maps and I'm not sure how good they are. And then there is TomTom but of course you have to pay extra for that.

So yeah the Nokia Maps thing is a plus.

Quote from: MojoJojo on December 14, 2013, 07:01:18 AM
It does look pretty slick. I'm just a bit puzzled you've picked out features that have been on android for years as being exceptional.

Because my 3 year old Galaxy S didn't do that, and they dropped support for updating it within about a year. Last version of Android I could legitimately update to was Gingerbread, and even that was a ball ache. To get Kit Kat on there, I'd have to do CyanogenMod and then get a particular ROM, flash the drive using a special program... bollocks to all of that.

I'm not surprised it was possible to do those things with Android but I don't want or use a Google account so that was useless to me, plus the fact that those options are already integrated into my OS make them easier just to do rather than to set up, not to mention the cost of a Sim-Free Android phone is significantly higher. £400+ for an HTC One. Get to fuck.

Milo

£130 for a moto G I think, though it has some limitations.

Waking Life

I've found Google Maps invaluable when I'm abroad. It uses the satellite for locations, but I've never been charged much/anything in the way of data. It works without roaming data certainly.

Famous Mortimer

I rather liked the Windows Phone I had, if there'd been a better podcast app on it I doubt I'd have switched back to Android. That was a couple of "generations" ago as well, so I presume the OS is even better now?

syntaxerror

ipodcast is pretty decent.

MojoJojo

Quote from: The Region Legion on December 14, 2013, 01:04:56 PM
I'm not surprised it was possible to do those things with Android but I don't want or use a Google account so that was useless to me, plus the fact that those options are already integrated into my OS make them easier just to do rather than to set up, not to mention the cost of a Sim-Free Android phone is significantly higher. £400+ for an HTC One. Get to fuck.

Most of the things are integrated into Android. And you're right that until very recently and the Moto G/Nexus cheap Win8 phones have been better than cheap Android phones.

Ignoring the Google/Microsoft slave aspect, the big advantage Android has is the apps. Win has Nokia maps and possibly the UI[nb]odd to think it's named after a UI concept which it abandons, and actually marks MS abandoning[/nb] (I've heard good things and it's newer, but not used it). So if you don't care about the apps, Windows is a good choice. Just not for most of the things you mentioned.

syntaxerror

Quote from: MojoJojo on December 14, 2013, 10:54:06 PM
Most of the things are integrated into Android. And you're right that until very recently and the Moto G/Nexus cheap Win8 phones have been better than cheap Android phones.

Ignoring the Google/Microsoft slave aspect, the big advantage Android has is the apps. Win has Nokia maps and possibly the UI[nb]odd to think it's named after a UI concept which it abandons, and actually marks MS abandoning[/nb] (I've heard good things and it's newer, but not used it). So if you don't care about the apps, Windows is a good choice. Just not for most of the things you mentioned.

For all the main bases i.e. camera, social networking, maps, music & podcasts, there are decent apps, but where the Windows Phone app store really lacks is in offering a)variety and b)premium paid apps. There are a few decent games if you're into that sort of thing, but nothing like the the wealth or depth in android or ios.

HappyTree

Quote from: Marty McFly on December 14, 2013, 12:15:32 AM
The Nexus 4 is a great phone, battery life isn't wonderful though and it's hard-wired into the phone so you can't buy a replacement ever switch it off.
Don't worry. They only track your location "incidentally" ;-)

chocky909

Quote from: MojoJojo on December 13, 2013, 06:56:31 AM
4G isn't worth it. At least until someone starts doing it with some sort of sensible data allowances.

Also look at a Motorola Moto G phone - excellent cheap phone. Although that doesn't support 4G.

I thought that until I found an offer for 6gb of data each month, unl mins, unl txt and an HTC One for £34 a month (2 year contract). 4G is great and I get a great reception at work. Obviously the value of the contract depends how quickly the average 4G deal price drops over the next 24 months but currently I'm enjoying being able to stream 1080p video and create wifi hotspots for my friends in return for sexual favours.