Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:09:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Celebrities who are anti-mask/antivaxx

Started by Kankurette, September 14, 2021, 11:17:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kankurette

Some of us have already mentioned this in the Worst Responses to COVID thread, but I wanted to make a separate thread about it because it bothers me, a lot. Over the past couple of years there have been some pretty awful tweets, comments and, in the case of Van Morrison, albums about COVID and how vaccinations, lockdowns and/or masks are evil and/or part of some global conspiracy.

Off the top of my head, we've got:
- Lawrence Fox
- Katie Hopkins
- Anthea Turner
- Jim Corr
- Matt Le Tissier
- Right Said Fred
- Fabian Delph
- Various other unnamed footballers, e.g. a whole load of Newcastle players, and in their case it's even more ridiculous because of that poor goalie who ended up in hospital with COVID
- Ian Brown
- Noel Gallagher
- Van Morrison
- Eric Clapton

What bothers me about this is, what is their agenda? Why are these people so keen on stopping others from wearing a mask or having a jab? What's in it for them? The majority of them are rich, they can afford top-quality healthcare, so they'll be OK if they get ill from the jab, although it's extremely rare for that to happen. Most of us just get nausea or headaches or insomnia. Le Tissier and a group of other knobheads signed a petition against masks in schools, and they're going to go apoplectic when they find out about the jabs for teens. Some of the people on the list didn't even have school-age kids. A lot of them are very right-wing, G-d knows how many of them voted for Johnson, and twats like Lozza even ran on an anti-lockdown platform because they think in the short term, IDK. Fox has some very shady people behind him. I think in his case and Farage as well, it's 'but what about MUH FREEDOM', but actively spreading lies and trying to discourage their followers from getting the jab or wearing masks - why are they doing it? Brown's always been balls deep in woo and his brain is fried from all the drugs, but it doesn't explain some of the others. That's what I wish I could figure out.

Le Tissier is the one I obsess over the most because he was one of my favourite players as a child and I used to follow him until he RT'd an awful homophobic article with an approving comment from Simon Jordan, and that tweet about Nazi Germany was a huge kick in the teeth. I'm really glad I'm not a Southampton fan. Quite a lot of them are furious with Le Tissier going down the COVID conspiracy rabbit hole because he's the club ambassador and it makes Southampton look bad. I think in his case, it's a combination of being mad that he can't see his grandchildren, thinking COVID is just like flu, and just being very right-wing in general. I also wonder if it's because he's got more time on his hands after being fired from Sky.

shagatha crustie

Clappo (sorry, GOD) did a thing about it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVbt8wIKMEY

He just seems confused. Because he doesn't seem particularly doddery and speaks coherently and articulately sentence to sentence, it comes across as if he has a rational argument for being against it. If you add it all up, though, the argument sits somewhere between 'it made me ill, and I'm old so it was scary to be ill' and 'people have gotten angry when I've questioned it and that's against my rights.' It's doubt because there is something there to doubt. Old man yells at cloud.

chveik

Kankurette

Oh Christ, I forgot that cunt Djokovic. MIA isn't surprising either.

imitationleather

imitationleather

Loads and loads of people in the rave scene, actually.

Dirty Boy

Hatchet faced former tv turd fondler Gillian McKeith is another one.
Oh, you said celebrities.
Quote from: imitationleather on September 14, 2021, 03:23:13 PM
Aphex Twin
Oh dear, really?

imitationleather

Quote from: Dirty Boy on September 14, 2021, 04:32:14 PM
Hatchet faced former tv turd fondler Gillian McKeith is another one.
Oh, you said celebrities.Oh dear, really?

Actually I dunno the extent of it, but he did say some stupid stuff about how the lockdown was about social control.

Pauline Walnuts

Nicki Minaj's cousin's friends unfeasibly large testicals.

Does that count as a celebrity?

selectivememory

Quote from: Kankurette on September 14, 2021, 01:43:11 PM
Oh Christ, I forgot that cunt Djokovic.

Basically half the tennis tour is antivax or just not arsed about getting it. Djokovic obviously the most prominent one. Britain's Jo Konta is another, and she just had covid and missed Wimbledon because of it. Still sceptical, because apparently she's a moron.

Cuellar

Konta's yesterdays news: what's Raducanu's position

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: imitationleather on September 14, 2021, 04:58:47 PM
Actually I dunno the extent of it, but he did say some stupid stuff about how the lockdown was about social control.

Yeah that's kind of the point, isn't it? Silly man.

Chedney Honks

I do understand how if you're anti authority like me you can easily jump to conclusions like a blinkered fucking one lens cunt. If you have such justifiably scant faith in the total fuckwits running this country, you can easily leap to some dumb fuck conspiratorial conclusion about an authoritarian masterplan.

Unfortunately, the reality is much messier and less empowering. These fuckwits never wanted to protect public health at all but their hand was eventually forced by the overwhelming numbers of deaths, way past the point that their measures would have been most effective.

It's staggering to me that anyone can look at how it's been handled in this country and conclude that there's any plan or priority whatsoever beyond minimising the economic impact while normalising death for the weak and vulnerable, but people are generally narrow minded, lacking in compassion and only care about the direct personal impact on their own life.

And in the same spirit, I say fuck em.

mothman

I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying there Cheds but it's not really going very far towards explaining the mindset of the celebrity antivaxxer/lockdown sceptic/cunt?

chveik

quite a lot of rappers

Royce da 5'9
Freddie Gibbs
Nas
Pete Rock
Busta Rhymes

it's no excuse but the reasoning seems to come from scandals with black people being 'experimented on' in the seventies, which tend to make people very skeptic towards health programs on a massive scale.

Kankurette

That at least I can sort of understand, after things like Tuskegee happening. Not to mention the commonly held belief that black people have high pain thresholds, or don't even feel pain at all.
Quote from: Chedney Honks on September 14, 2021, 08:25:56 PM
I do understand how if you're anti authority like me you can easily jump to conclusions like a blinkered fucking one lens cunt. If you have such justifiably scant faith in the total fuckwits running this country, you can easily leap to some dumb fuck conspiratorial conclusion about an authoritarian masterplan.

Unfortunately, the reality is much messier and less empowering. These fuckwits never wanted to protect public health at all but their hand was eventually forced by the overwhelming numbers of deaths, way past the point that their measures would have been most effective.

It's staggering to me that anyone can look at how it's been handled in this country and conclude that there's any plan or priority whatsoever beyond minimising the economic impact while normalising death for the weak and vulnerable, but people are generally narrow minded, lacking in compassion and only care about the direct personal impact on their own life.

And in the same spirit, I say fuck em.
Yeah, but how do you explain the very same people who voted this bastard government in going down the antivaxx rabbit hole? Take Le Tissier for instance, he is a big old Tory.

I fucking hate Johnson too but I still signed up for that clinical trial.

buttgammon

Quote from: imitationleather on September 14, 2021, 03:23:48 PM

And in adjacent genres too. Actress is another one (evidently thinking if he uses phrases like 'hacked vaccine' he can preserve some of his intellectual image rather than sounding like a fucking idiot).

SpiderChrist

The Mollusk

Quote from: chveik on September 14, 2021, 09:51:12 PM
quite a lot of rappers

Royce da 5'9
Freddie Gibbs
Nas
Pete Rock
Busta Rhymes

it's no excuse but the reasoning seems to come from scandals with black people being 'experimented on' in the seventies, which tend to make people very skeptic towards health programs on a massive scale.

I don't know a lot about it but I did hear somewhere a couple months back that there's a massive amount of propaganda being pushed in BAME communities, social media channels and the like which would seem to tie in with what you're saying. Touchy subject.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: imitationleather on September 14, 2021, 03:23:48 PM

I'd say about 90% of people to varying degrees.

The Mollusk

It's a shame but first gen punks turning out to be thick as shit in middle age is sadly unsurprising

Joe Oakes

Quote from: chveik on September 14, 2021, 09:51:12 PM
quite a lot of rappers

Royce da 5'9
Freddie Gibbs
Nas
Pete Rock
Busta Rhymes

I think Busta Rhymes just loves conspiracy theories in general, he once made an album about how the Y2K bug would end civilisation.

Noodle Lizard

In comedy, Dave Chappelle and Nick Mullen are a bit ambiguous about it. Russell Brand and Joe Rogan are a little more blatantly against all of it. None of them have outright said they didn't get the vaccine (Mullen jokes that he flew to China to get the Sinovac), but you can guess. It'd be career suicide to come out and say they didn't, but I do wonder if we'll start finding out about a few more.

Like Miles Teller, for instance, having his status accidentally revealed: https://news.yahoo.com/report-alleges-actor-miles-teller-224822789.html

Ant Farm Keyboard

In France, we have singer-songwriter Francis Lalanne. Lalanne, who started his career in the late 70s, had been a laughing stock from the very beginning, and even played the part of the bard in the early Astérix movies. He's infamous for his ponytail, his long leather boots (which he wears as a tribute to Puss in Boots, I'm not kidding), and his idealistic and romantic views on the world that result in milquetoast songs. He even tried his hand at writing several non commissioned "hymns" for various football teams. He was also a candidate in several elections, usually for some little known ecologist party.
Two years ago, he started to be a self-appointed spokesman for the Yellow Vests, and he's been a prominent fighter of masks, vaccination against Covid (he was banned from Twitter for calling the vaccine "a crime against humanity"), and sanitary passes. Made lately the news for punching journalists who were filming some event about Covid he was hosting, and for refusing to wear a mask in a train.

Then, we have comedian Jean-Marie Bigard. Bigard was hugely popular for his stand-up act in the late nineties, early 00s, with heavily promoted tours and events such as a performance in the Stade de France that gathered more than 50,000 people. Most of his act was about being a man of the people who would say the crassest things about political correctness. It became increasingly vulgar and sexist, while he started to voice truther theories about 9/11, which sidelined him (it didn't hurt as much other celebrities such as Marion Cotillard or Mathieu Kassovitz). He still has a large fanbase. He was vocal against lockdown and sanitary pass, and explained that people who refused to have some sanitary pass were handled by the authorities like Jews with their yellow star during the Occupation.

And finally, Akhenaton. He's the leader of Marseille hip-hop posse IAM, which was very popular in the late nineties (Marseille is also the headquarters for Didier Raoult, the French searcher who's responsible for starting the hydroxychloroquine craze, and the guy is revered there). Was hospitalized last month with Covid, recovered, and still campaigns against the vaccine, which he describes as "gene therapy".

About Joe Rogan, it's likely that he was vaccinated (just like Trump or everybody at Fox News) but won't admit it, as it works better for his reputation among his listeners to say he follows alternative therapies. It's mostly an act.

Head Gardener

George Oscar Bluth II

Quote from: Kankurette on September 14, 2021, 11:17:36 AM
- Various other unnamed footballers, e.g. a whole load of Newcastle players, and in their case it's even more ridiculous because of that poor goalie who ended up in hospital with COVID

Apparently Leeds United have a squad vaccination rate of 100% but it's very interesting that I don't think we've seen or heard any England player saying they've had the jab[nb]Kalvin Phillips and Bamford, of course, will have done[/nb]. The Mail had a thing about how some Premier League squads only have six vaccinated players in them. Yikes.

Lot of time on their hands and not much to do, footballers, of course. YouTube rabbit holes galore.

Kankurette

I have no idea about Everton but I know at least one player is antivaxx.