Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 07:19:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Spider-Man 3: Into the Spider-Verse 2?

Started by Mister Six, October 15, 2020, 09:30:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

Quote from: magval on October 16, 2020, 08:53:47 PM
Aye, like I said above, but that's not his character!

Doesn't Miles' friend also know his secret, and offer moral support? That's a fairly significant similarity, if so. Or does Parker have anyone like that in the mainline continuity? I only know about Batman, in fairness.

phantom_power

I think lots of people said that Holland's Spiderman was the best depiction of comic book Peter Parker yet so accusations of him being a whitewashed Morales is odd. And this thread is the first time I have heard it

madhair60

Quote from: phantom_power on October 17, 2020, 01:07:59 PM
I think lots of people said that Holland's Spiderman was the best depiction of comic book Peter Parker yet so accusations of him being a whitewashed Morales is odd. And this thread is the first time I have heard it

That's bollocks and the people saying it don't read comics

phantom_power

Which bit? He certainly brings the wide-eyed innocence and fun of some versions of the comic Parker. He is not perfect but he is certainly closer than Maguire or the other fella

Mister Six

Yeah, his Peter Parker works great, though he could be a bit quippier. The Stark gadgets are shit and annoying, but they're nothing to do with Parker himself.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Kelvin on October 17, 2020, 10:30:44 AM
Doesn't Miles' friend also know his secret, and offer moral support? That's a fairly significant similarity, if so. Or does Parker have anyone like that in the mainline continuity? I only know about Batman, in fairness.
You're always talking about Batman, Kelvin. You're never going to meet him.

magval

Quote from: Kelvin on October 17, 2020, 10:30:44 AM

That's a big thing in hero comics with any length to them. They've always got support of some sort from civilians, these days.

In Ultimate Spider-Man, from which the Garfield and Holland films draw certain elements of 'cast' and characterization , everyone knows Peter is Spider-Man because he's 15 years old, and kind of a dork, so how do you keep a secret like that? So his friends offer that support, yeah. That carried into the subsequent Miles Morales issues, where again he has trouble keeping the secret because he's a kid and kids are stupid.

One criticism I have of Bendis' run on Miles Morales is that when Miles is Spider-Man, he's written almost identically to how Peter was, in terms of dialogue, but overall and back on topic, yeah, the lesson here Kelvin is not to be touting second hand knowledge as THIRD HAND KNOWLEDGE!

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The second reboot in under a decade would have been a perfect opportunity to introduce Miles as the main version of the character, so I can see why minority audiences would be peeved at yet another white bloke getting the role, as good as Holland is.

Replies From View

Quote from: JamesTC on October 16, 2020, 11:38:42 PM
Bet Iron Man returns as he is alive in another dimension.

Played by Chloe Annett.

Replies From View

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on October 17, 2020, 04:44:36 PM
You're always talking about Batman, Kelvin. You're never going to meet him.

actually that isn't strictly true

SteveDave

I watched the two Andrew Garfield Spider-Man films on the weekend. They weren't as bad as I remembered them being. Things always got better when he was in the costume and wisecracking but overall (despite him being the oldest looking high school boy since John Travolta) I enjoyed them.

The Culture Bunker

It is a bit strange how they toned down the wisecracking aspects given it was a big thing in the comics*. I suppose you can say it's because Falcon told him it's not the done thing during the fight scene in 'Civil War'.

*a line that stuck with me from the early 90s cartoon was Kingpin bellowing "I WILL DESTROY YOU!" or suchlike, and Spidey replying "in a pie eating contest?" Crude, but funny, and showed how being a hero gave the shy Peter Parker confidence.

The Roofdog

Quote from: kittens on October 16, 2020, 05:09:25 PM
i honestly couldn't see what was supposed to be so great about it. it was o.k.

I didn't get the raves either. Maybe I just don't like animated stuff, everybody else always seems to give these things an extra star or two more than I would, still remember someone trying to convince me that Mask Of The Phantasm is the best Batman film. Mate. Oh, and whilst I'm here The Lego Movie can do one.

magval

Phantasm's the best surely. Begins comes close and an open mind can enjoy Forever a lot as well.

Replies From View

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on October 19, 2020, 12:27:59 PM
It is a bit strange how they toned down the wisecracking aspects given it was a big thing in the comics*. I suppose you can say it's because Falcon told him it's not the done thing during the fight scene in 'Civil War'.

*a line that stuck with me from the early 90s cartoon was Kingpin bellowing "I WILL DESTROY YOU!" or suchlike, and Spidey replying "in a pie eating contest?" Crude, but funny, and showed how being a hero gave the shy Peter Parker confidence.

Hopefully Limmy will be amongst the alternate dimensions, and instead of Falcon it's Falconhoof and Peter Parker is all "kill jester haha"

that would be super wisecracking japes from our peteyboy parker and I would prize the film seven quills out of ten

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: kittens on October 16, 2020, 05:09:25 PM
i honestly couldn't see what was supposed to be so great about it. it was o.k.

Same. Maybe the rave reviews got my expectations too high but it really did nothing for me, and I'm usually easily pleased with comic book movies.

purlieu

Quote from: Mister Six on October 15, 2020, 09:30:03 PM
I know Holland was campaigning for this a few years back, but it feels like a big oof to me. I like both Maguire and Garfield, but Spider-Verse already did basically this with far more aplomb and imagination than a live-action MCU vehicle could possibly achieve. Also, the business in Far From Home already felt too big and epic. Is it too much to ask for just another exciting adventure in Manhattan against villains that aren't threatening the whole world/different dimensions? I loved how low-key Vulture was after endless flicks about Thor or whoever trying to save the whole world/universe from destruction. Spidey is about the only street-level hero in an increasingly cosmic MCU, so doing a reality-crossing caper with Doctor Strange voguing around in the background is getting away from what seems like the character's USP in the series.
This is the problem with franchises like this, once you've set the bar at a certain height, it's very difficult to lower it again. Once you've introduced huge, reality-changing concepts like time travel and multiple realities, smaller threats begin to feel... well, small. If the characters have defeated Thanos, what's some local guy with small-scale superpowers really going to do? It happened in Arrow, with the fifth series having Oliver back on his angst about how his whole time as a vigilante was a waste and actually made things worse, despite him literally stopping the destruction of life on Earth less than a year before. Throw in the fact that each Phase apparently needs a big climactic film at the end, and you've got six stories to build up to that. So I'm not at all surprised that the next Spider-Man is going to be central to the Multiverse strand which looks to be a big part of the next Phase or two. I imagine Black Widow and Shang-Chi will be the only two remotely down-to-Earth films in Phase 4.

Mister Six

Thing is, by that logic Homecoming would have had to be a giant adventure too, because it came after the Thors, the Avengerses, the Captains America[nb]Though I've just remembered that there was no massive world-threatening danger in Cap 3...[/nb] - but it was nicely low-key.

I was hopeful about Black Widow being like this too, but the trailer has loads of shit-looking CGI-packed nonsense, so she'll probably be on some grand adventure to stop the KGB destroying America or whatever.

purlieu

It's the closest thing to an origin story for him, so the stakes will be lower. As I'm sure will be the case for Shang-Chi.

Captain America 3 is the odd one out, but it's kind of the odd one out of the entire lot because it really feels like a three-part episode set somewhere in the middle of Avengers: Season Three rather than a standalone film.

Replies From View

Quote from: Mister Six on October 24, 2020, 05:05:19 PM
some grand adventure to stop the KGB destroying America or whatever.

Imagine Wallace and Gromit doing this though

I mean The Wrong Trousers era Wallace and Gromit

Mister Six

Kelvin

Finally watched Into the Spider-Verse last weekend. It's great! Absolutely stunning visuals and soundtrack. Miles was much better than classic Peter Parker, the whole story was really touching, and although I didn't love the three "comedy" spider-characters that turned up after Spider-girl, the three core Spider-People were incredibly good. The "What's up Danger" scene where he finally gets to grips with his powers has to be the single greatest superhero montage ever. Even re-watching it, my hairs stand on end.

Mister Six

Glebe

SPIDER-MAN 3 Peter Parker NEW MCU Origin Clue! (Homecoming Easter Egg).

I think it's about time we got the MCU Spidey's origin story.

Still haven't gotten around to watching Into the Spider-Verse on the 'flix, must stick it on some evening.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Glebe on November 16, 2020, 10:05:31 AM
I think it's about time we got the MCU Spidey's origin story.

I hope not. One of the great things about this Spider-Man is that they haven't hammered an unnecessary origin.

Quote from: Glebe on November 16, 2020, 10:05:31 AM
Still haven't gotten around to watching Into the Spider-Verse on the 'flix, must stick it on some evening.

You must. And on as big a screen as you can. It's many shades of wonderful.

Mister Six

Quote from: kidsick5000 on November 16, 2020, 11:39:54 AM
I hope not. One of the great things about this Spider-Man is that they haven't hammered an unnecessary origin.

Yeah. To Grant Morrison it: spider bite, dead uncle, great responsibility. Who needs anything more than that? Let's look forwards, not backwards.

And seconding the Spiderverse recc. Biggest, fanciest screen you can find. It's the best-looking, most visually lush animated film I've ever seen.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Mister Six on November 16, 2020, 02:49:41 PM
Yeah. To Grant Morrison it: spider bite, dead uncle, great responsibility. Who needs anything more than that? Let's look forwards, not backwards.
I think they've barely even mentioned Uncle Ben - a vague reference to Peter feeling guilt over this death, using a suitcase with "B P" initials for his Eurotrip and probably one or two other nods.

Mister Six

Which is fine. We saw Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield go through the same thing, with the former having one of the biggest pre-MCU superhero successes. No need to repeat it.

The Culture Bunker

Oh, I agree no need to go over well-worn ground. I had wondered if they'd go into his parents' backstory instead - I could be remembering wrong, but in some interpretations, weren't they spies who worked with/for SHIELD and got killed some mission?