Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:13:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Spider-Man 3: Into the Spider-Verse 2?

Started by Mister Six, October 15, 2020, 09:30:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

They dealt with the escalation of Thanos and the Avengers up to Infinity War and End Game pretty well so I imagine they have thought all this through. It isn't Star Wars. I wouldn't be surprised if the multiverse was either closed off or somehow greatly reduced by the end of Dr Strange 2, in the same way that time travel seems to have been put back in the box after End Game

Spiteface

The only question I have, is how much Marisa Tomei as hot Aunt May is in this?

mothman

Probably very little, the edgelords are still upset she isn't a little old lady.

I think one thing we know is, if anyone can make a convoluted saga work, it's Marvel. And it may be that this film is truly standalone and everything will be resolved by the end of it. But going by the trailer this iteration appears to lean heavily on MCU stuff - and it was barely a year ago Sony and Marvel weren't speaking to each other about the future of Spidey/MCU interconnection...

Replies From View

Honestly, the Spider-Man film I remember most fondly is the one from the late 70s that I saw as a child.  Ok it's not up to today's standards of special effects, and Peter Parker still looks older than I do now.  It's the pilot for a TV show but what I loved about it was how down to earth the whole thing was.  There were no super villains in that, just a Lex Luther type who was using mind control on people.  And I seem to remember some karate people in a corridor going JUDO CHOP

I honestly feel we'll never get those kinds of low-stakes in live action Spider-Man again unless they decide to turn it into a TV series (which maybe they should).

Replies From View

Quote from: mothman on August 24, 2021, 11:34:23 AM
Also, is it just me or does it feel like they're really over-egging the whole multiverse pudding right now? OK, we get it, it's the next Big Thing and from whence a whole tranche of new (and old, and alternate) heroes and villains will stem, but already we have multiversey stuff coming from WandaVision, and Loki, and What If, and this, with the actual Dr. Strange film yet to come. I don't know if there is any if it in the Shang-Chi or Eternals films (or Black Widow, not seen it yet), or the others on the slate (Guardians 3, Ant-Man 3) or if it'll go on until any as yet hypothetical future Avengers films. But as a set-up to a presumed new Infinity Stones-type arc it's beginning to feel hopelessly convoluted. Because while Anything Us Possible is a very tantalising proposition, the counter to it - Does Anything Then Matter? - is a risky thing to deal with when billions of dollars are at stake.

Also, I'll be honest, in terms of Spider-Man I don't see the point.  Why do they need Maguire and Garfield's films to be canon?  Do they want to have another stab at continuing where Raimi's Spider-Man 2 left off?

mothman

Ooh, I remember the late-70s version too! Saw the pilot ep in the cinema even, a double bill with Cactus Jack (starring Kirk Douglas, Ann-Margaret and some German[nb]
Spoiler alert
Yes, I know he's Austrian, that's part of the joke.
[close]
[/nb] guy nobody would ever remember).

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: SteveDave on August 24, 2021, 09:03:20 AM
Two villains. There's a Green Goblin bomb and laugh in that trailer too.

Willem Defoe's face is in the leaked trailer, I guess they decided to make it less subtle with the finished one.

This looks good, Holland is decent in the role. I never liked Tobey Maguire as Peter Parker, although I also think Amazing Spider-Man is the best of all the Spider-Man films, and didn't care for Spideyverse *runs away*.

mothman

I think Spiderverse is very good, but I accept YMMV with it. And that aside I'd pick the first Garfield one as the one I consider the best, too.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on August 24, 2021, 01:10:41 PM
I also think Amazing Spider-Man is the best of all the Spider-Man films, and didn't care for Spideyverse
Quote from: mothman on August 24, 2021, 01:15:21 PM
I'd pick the first Garfield one as the one I consider the best, too.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhckuhUxcgA

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

To be fair, I saw it in the cinema after all the anti-hype and didn't think it was remotely as bad as it was cracked up to be.

Also, as a fan of Sam Raimi, I really wanted to love his Spidey films, but they seem to have got worse and worse over time.

I would say Homecoming is the best of the live action films although it does rather drop the thematic ball by downplaying Peter and May's financial struggles.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on August 24, 2021, 01:31:08 PM

Also, as a fan of Sam Raimi, I really wanted to love his Spidey films, but they seem to have got worse and worse over time.

That was me. I was actually pretty stoked about the first one, but I think it was just because there hadn't been a proper Spidey live action film before then (aside from those made for TV 70s ones). They were OK. Saw the third one on a date (which never went anywhere) of all things and don't remember anything about it except the dancing down the street scene.

Replies From View

Quote from: mothman on August 24, 2021, 01:15:21 PM
I think Spiderverse is very good, but I accept YMMV with it. And that aside I'd pick the first Garfield one as the one I consider the best, too.

For ages people kept banging on about the different frame rates used to animate bumbling newbie Spider-Man vs smooth confident Spider-Man

And that's great, love me a bit of behind the scenes info, but it doesn't bowl me over or anything.  They really want me to backflip like Tom Holland because of it, but I am NOT GOING TO THANK YOU

HAVE OTHER REASONS FOR YOUR FILM TO BE WORTHWHILE

madhair60

Quote from: mothman on August 24, 2021, 11:46:08 AM
Probably very little, the edgelords are still upset she isn't a little old lady.

Edgelords and intelligent people who recognise that the character's vulnerability is an essential part of the Spider-Man formula, natch.

The first and second Raimi film are the best Spidey movies, for me. They actually look like movies for a start. Couldn't abide Homecoming. Spider-Man's talking costume. Genuinely die.

Old Nehamkin

Why is it "edgelord" to want Aunt May to be an old lady? Not having a go and don't really have a stake either way, just a bit baffled at what the connection is supposed to be there.

Dusty Substance

This actually looks really bloody good, tbh.

I'm not a comic book guy so only have the films to go on (seen the first two Raimis and the two Hollands, and thoroughly enjoyed all of them) but it's always felt weird that he's called Spider-Man yet he's always so young. Does Peter Parker ever actually become an actual man in the comics - Like, a 45 year old? Obviously I realise that a lot of the character is a metaphor for being a teenager (all that sticky white goo etc.) and it might look odd seeing a fully grown adult squeezed into a spandex body suit, but do they just reboot the character once he reaches 25?

Also, as the next one looks likely to have multiple Spider-Men, there's no way they don't recreate the Spider-Man-pointing-at-another-Spider-Man meme.

phantom_power

Quote from: Replies From View on August 24, 2021, 11:59:20 AM
Also, I'll be honest, in terms of Spider-Man I don't see the point.  Why do they need Maguire and Garfield's films to be canon? 

Fun? One of the things the MCU has, IMO, been really good at is recreating the feel of the comic in the films, with various match-ups, cross-overs and team-ups. Having this sort of multiverse collision of different versions of the same character is continuing that I think

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: Dusty Substance on August 24, 2021, 04:11:31 PM
Also, as the next one looks likely to have multiple Spider-Men, there's no way they don't recreate the Spider-Man-pointing-at-another-Spider-Man meme.
They done this in Spider-Verse already.

Just wrote a big post but deleted it because honestly who gives a fuck but Spider-Man 3 is good

mjwilson

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on August 24, 2021, 10:01:11 AM
I always feel disorientated by this new iteration of Spiderman who keeps checking in with the Avengers every five minutes and going into space and has a magical robot suit

I forget where I read it but someone suggested that the Far From HOME should have had him destroying all the Stark tech in favour of being a friendly neighbourhood Spiderman,  and that made a lot of sense to me.

Mister Six

Trailer makes me worried this is going to be a bit of a clusterfuck, and I do feel a bit sorry for Tom Holland never actually getting to be the sole star of his movie, and always having to share the narrative spotlight with assorted characters from other films.

purlieu

Quote from: mothman on August 24, 2021, 11:34:23 AM
Also, is it just me or does it feel like they're really over-egging the whole multiverse pudding right now? OK, we get it, it's the next Big Thing and from whence a whole tranche of new (and old, and alternate) heroes and villains will stem, but already we have multiversey stuff coming from WandaVision, and Loki, and What If, and this, with the actual Dr. Strange film yet to come. I don't know if there is any if it in the Shang-Chi or Eternals films (or Black Widow, not seen it yet), or the others on the slate (Guardians 3, Ant-Man 3) or if it'll go on until any as yet hypothetical future Avengers films. But as a set-up to a presumed new Infinity Stones-type arc it's beginning to feel hopelessly convoluted. Because while Anything Us Possible is a very tantalising proposition, the counter to it - Does Anything Then Matter? - is a risky thing to deal with when billions of dollars are at stake.
I'm sure Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania will definitely be part of it. But yeah, as others have said, I get the feeling it's going to be a Phase 4 thing rather than a ten year arc. It'll either introduce something that sets up the Thanos-esque plot, or it'll feed into whatever happens in Phase 6, but I can't imagine the whole arc, however it plays out, will just be going "AND THEN THERE'S ANOTHER UNIVERSE OUT THERE!" every film for 30 movies.

As for Spidey, yeah, the whole MCU thing is a definite change from the character's usual modus operandi, which I suppose is likely to happen when they're going for the whole interconnected thing - in the comics, you'd have several storylines happen before the next crossover, but with films, that opportunity isn't there. That said, we've had five - six at a push, including Homecoming - films of Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man in the past 20 years, so I don't mind them doing something different with him, to be honest.

Glebe

Trailer is a tad dull if you ask me, apart from the appearance of Alfred Molina. Oh and Gobby confirmed to return (hopefully Willem Dafoe)!

Replies From View

Quote from: phantom_power on August 24, 2021, 04:16:03 PM
Fun? One of the things the MCU has, IMO, been really good at is recreating the feel of the comic in the films, with various match-ups, cross-overs and team-ups. Having this sort of multiverse collision of different versions of the same character is continuing that I think

Ok, fair enough, if people find it fun.  To me it feels more like admin being done onscreen.  Like "these are the mechanisms by which we are setting up the next series of movies."  And it's impossible to skip those mechanisms because all these movies are doing that.  Restlessly fidgeting away at where the next movies will go rather than focusing on the present.

Kelvin

How can any British person enjoy a Dr Strange film when he sounds like that? It's like nails down a blackboard to me.

As for the film... I dunno, it does seem really odd that they've continued to lean so heavily into the tech / Iron-Man stuff, and now the sci-fi / magic stuff. I guess it's to differentiate it from the previous Sony movies, but it does result in the weird feeling that Holland has never been the "normal" Spider-Man.

Magnum Valentino

It is sort of relevant to the most modern run of Spider-Man eras, in which he owned a tech firm and used magic to wipe a bunch of people's memories. The ongoing series is still dealing with fallout of those plot points, I think. I'm trying to catch up on it but it's hard going. Always end up going back to the Stan Lee books. Take about half an hour to read but always feel nourished afterwards.

Glebe

I really want Tobey Maguire's Peter to be in this and get flummoxed by Bruce Campbell again, that'd be brilliant. I mean Raimi's doing Doc Strange 2 and all.

lipsink

Spider-Man 2 is great but it does drag and has Peter and MJ being mopey for long sections of the film. The MCU films are just a lot more fun in comparison.

The Culture Bunker

In the early 90s Spider-Man cartoon, it concluded with a storyline involving the Beyonder, Madame Web and a bunch of alternate Spideys* having to stop one of their own who'd gone insane from destroying the multi-verse, so the direction the MCU is taking isn't too much of a leap.

*in a bit of fourth wall breaking, one of them was an actor who played Spider-Man in a TV show, so was pretty useless except when he took the show's version to his reality to meet Stan Lee.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on August 24, 2021, 05:18:53 PM
They done this in Spider-Verse already.

Just wrote a big post but deleted it because honestly who gives a fuck but Spider-Man 3 is good

Ought to finish Spider-Verse at some point. Started watching earlier this years as it got *insanely* positive reviews but I didn't find it especially engaging - However I'm not super keen on animation.

Will make a point of watching Spider-Man 3, though. It passed my by back in 2007 as I was very much into my anti-superhero phase and once I got out that era and started going back, catching up on the capeshit I missed out on, it didn't look to be one worth visiting due to a lot of negative reviews, but then I liked Iron Man 2 and Age Of Ultron which a lot of the Marvel fans didn't seem to rate all that much.

I've also heard mostly negative stuff about the two Garfield era Spider Man films. Are they less than Amazing as their titles suggest?

lipsink

Quote from: Dusty Substance on August 24, 2021, 06:29:53 PM
I've also heard mostly negative stuff about the two Garfield era Spider Man films. Are they less than Amazing as their titles suggest?

The first one is decent but really nothing special. The second one is a mess and basically a franchise trying to cram in loads of stuff to compete with MCU.