Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:29:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Liquorice Pizza

Started by phantom_power, September 27, 2021, 05:43:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Now this is one 'pizza' I'd love second helpings of!

phantom_power

Do you need to have seen Mystic Pizza first or can you work out what is going on anyway?

mjwilson

Quote from: peanutbutter on January 08, 2022, 01:57:13 PMThink he was just a bit of a grifter who had a Japanese wife to give authenticity to his themed restaurants?

Kinda suprirsed that was the bit that caused the most controversy about this film tbh.

There was some age-gap discourse on Twitter, but it wasn't very edifying.

ProvanFan

Adam Johnson thinks this film looks class.

imitationleather

I went to see this film yesterday. My first time at the cinema since before the pandemic!

I thought it was great. Just a really nice film. I love how, in typical PTA-style, even though it's quite a light and straightforward romance story there's so many diversions and little bits that go unexplained that you're still thinking about it for ages afterwards.

Keebleman

Thoroughly enjoyed this.  Wasn't what I was expecting - from the trailer I thought it was a Barbra Streisand biopic.  "That's the spit of Jon Peters," I thought, "but that other guy doesn't look anything like Elliot Gould." 

Like several PTA movies, as it went on it tended to blunder around a bit trying to find a clear narrative to lead it to the end, but unlike some it stayed entertaining all the way.

Those two leads were fantastic, even though he looked too old for 15 and she looked too young for 25.

Had no idea until reading this thread that the lead actress and her sisters are musicians.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: imitationleather on January 16, 2022, 09:39:24 AMthere's so many diversions and little bits that go unexplained that you're still thinking about it for ages afterwards.

Did anyone else get a creeping dread about so many of the male characters in the film trying it on with the woman one? It started with a sly pat on the arse and by the end had worked it's way up to stalker, a literal stalker. With everything in between regarding men trying to come onto the woman. Maybe it was just me but by the end when she's running to find the fella I was terrified the stalker was going to jump out and grab her.

Everyone seems to just get a lovely joyful feeling from the film so maybe I read the tone wrong? It just seemed like every male character was either on the make, chasing girls too young or was stalking. I dunno.

imitationleather

Quote from: checkoutgirl on January 22, 2022, 04:51:35 PMDid anyone else get a creeping dread about so many of the male characters in the film trying it on with the woman one? It started with a sly pat on the arse and by the end had worked it's way up to stalker, a literal stalker. With everything in between regarding men trying to come onto the woman. Maybe it was just me but by the end when she's running to find the fella I was terrified the stalker was going to jump out and grab her.

Everyone seems to just get a lovely joyful feeling from the film so maybe I read the tone wrong? It just seemed like every male character was either on the make, chasing girls too young or was stalking. I dunno.

I assumed the "stalker" was to do with
Spoiler alert
the mayoral candidate guy being gay.
[close]

But yeah, that's an example of stuff being left unexplained!

Dayraven

QuoteThink he was just a bit of a grifter who had a Japanese wife to give authenticity to his themed restaurants?
He, the restaurant, and the two wives are all based on reality. The wives have their names changed, though, and I have no idea how fair anything else is.

QuoteI assumed the "stalker" was to do with
Same here, though I can see the theme that suggested the other interpretation.

Keebleman

Quote from: checkoutgirl on January 22, 2022, 04:53:22 PMShe's 30 I think.

Yeah, I've looked them up since.  There's 12 years between them!  I think it's because he's so big that they look like contemporaries.  And in the opening scene she looks just as much a high-school student as all the high-school students.

the science eel

Saw it yesterday and really enjoyed it, but thought it could have lost the last 30 minutes (but kept the ending, of course) and been a superior film. Like others I was actually beaming for the first few minutes. Alana Haim especially was a joy.

Great fun seeing Tom Waits do his thing, best use of a Macca solo song in any film ever, and the businessman talking 'Japanese' gave me a huge laugh. That, and a handful of other moments made me think PTA was giving the finger to expected modern-day sensitivities - courting trouble, even.

Fuck of a film, anyway.

Keebleman

"Fuck off, Danielle!" was my favourite moment I think.  Not particularly scintillating dialogue, I admit, but the scene was set up like it was going to be an lengthy and intensely honest heart-to-heart between sisters, and for it to be cut short so bluntly got a big laugh.

I must admit, though, that now I know the actresses actually are sisters the scene has an in-joke quality which diminishes it a bit.

beanheadmcginty

Best film I've seen in ages. Joyous stuff. Anybody else spot the the brief John C. Reilly cameo? Also, just discovered that the Jon Peters that Bradley Cooper plays is the producer who Kevin Smith famously tells that anecdote about being obsessed with mechanical spiders.

holyzombiejesus

There was one scene in particular where Alana's nipples were really prominent through her t-shirt. I feel a bit sleazy for noticing it and I wasn't all phwooarr, but I guess it was done on purpose and I'm not really sure why they'd do that.

Keebleman

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on February 07, 2022, 03:00:38 PMThere was one scene in particular where Alana's nipples were really prominent through her t-shirt. I feel a bit sleazy for noticing it and I wasn't all phwooarr, but I guess it was done on purpose and I'm not really sure why they'd do that.

Bless you, my son. Say two Our Fathers and two Hail Marys.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on February 07, 2022, 03:00:38 PMThere was one scene in particular where Alana's nipples were really prominent through her t-shirt. I feel a bit sleazy for noticing it and I wasn't all phwooarr, but I guess it was done on purpose and I'm not really sure why they'd do that.

Why would it have to be deliberate? Is pta like Kubrick is with props but with nipples?

chveik

Goldentony

you're supposed to start wanking in the cinema, like smell o vision or 3D or one of those

holyzombiejesus

Ha! I'm not annoyed or shocked or aroused by the nipples, just think it was a conscious decision to show them and wondered why that was.

Do you not think this is unusual for a publicity still for a 'serious' mainstream Hollywood film?

imitationleather

It's just what nipples looked like at the time. It's authentic.

Magnum Valentino

Edit: sorry I'm getting too involved in contentious online discussion but if you enjoyed my post before I removed it hope you enjoyed it!

PlanktonSideburns

Maybe it's a friends reference

chocky909

Gah, when is this going to be available "not in a cinema"?!

phantom_power

Oscar screeners should be out soon? Do they still do those?

Bad Ambassador

It's all secure, password-protecting streaming services now.

Vitalstatistix

I'm not sure why, but the scene where she's saying "yes" to every question in the acting interview really tickled me.

"Are you athletic?"
"Yes"
"Do you know how to horseback ride?"
"Yes"
"Er do you know how to do fencing?"
"Yes, I can fence"
"Basketball?"
"Yes"
"Baseball?"
"Yes"
"Soccer?"
"Yes"

Then she goes on to say she knows Israeli martial arts: "It's more like how to use a pen to stab someone's eye out"

Also, for such an amusing, laidback, vibes film, the scene where they're rolling the truck down the hill was fucking terrifying!

Five toupees out of five.