Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:02:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Rocky IV: Rocky vs Drago (Director's Cut)

Started by surreal, November 11, 2021, 05:51:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

surreal

https://www.cineworld.co.uk/films/rocky-iv-rocky-vs-drago-directors-cut/ho00008218#/

Ok I'm confused:

QuoteDirector, Writer, and star Sylvester Stallone masterfully reshapes ROCKY IV, delivering 40 minutes of never-before-seen footage. With more intense fight scenes, world heavyweight champion Rocky Balboa (Stallone) defends his title once again, this time against Drago (Dolph Lundgren), a six-foot-four, 261-pound fighter who has the backing of the Soviet Union.

The movie is only 90 minutes and it has over 40 minutes of new footage?  Is it just going to be 2 long fights, a training montage, James Brown and a Survivor "Best Of" medley at the end??

Shit Good Nose

There's more stuff of Drago which humanises him and brings out his relationship with Ludmilla more, which ties it in better with Creed 2.

Also ALL robot scenes are gone.

It's 15mins longer than the original cut, so some/most of the new footage must be alternate takes (from snippets that Stallone posted online during editing, it seems that the film is generally more grounded - presumably Stallone wanted to up the emotional heft and tone down the "AMERICA, FUCK YEAH!!!!" propaganda so that it better fits the entire saga and links directly to the Creed films).

Ant Farm Keyboard

The "40 minutes" claim was dismissed by Stallone himself.

Shit Good Nose

Famous Mortimer

There must be some deleted "Paulie and the robot are having sex" scenes, they should do another edit that focuses on those.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 11, 2021, 06:44:34 PM
There must be some deleted "Paulie and the robot are having sex" scenes, they should do another edit that focuses on those.

But that would be 7 hours long.

sevendaughters

directors cut of a franchise 4th film, get to fuck

surreal

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on November 11, 2021, 06:14:25 PM
It's 15mins longer than the original cut, so

I guess I'm just used to longer films, I saw this back in the day and I never considered it was so short by today's standards

petercussing

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 11, 2021, 06:44:34 PM

It's very brave that for this version they've included the scene where Rocky is so horny he has to go to the hospital.

It's odd, as well, that Rambo is so tough in this version that in the climactic fight Drago is so overwhelmed he just lays down and goes to sleep.

Goldentony

mainly hoping this inserts Sweetest Victory by Touch into the film somewhere, fucking BEST song on the soundtrack and contender for top 80s soundtrack tune and it isnt in the film. Not the weird shit version either, the mad one with the guitar and sax. Two versions of it and it's not in th film.

Dusty Substance

Shit Good Nose

I see Stallone has very excitedly tweeted (sorry - instagrammed) that it's now available "everywhere".  Except it only appears to be on Vudu.  Which is blocked in the UK (for those of us that don't use a vpn).

I always preferred 3, for both campiness and genuine emotion.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: thecuriousorange on November 12, 2021, 07:17:49 PM

Rocky III > Citizen Kane

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: thecuriousorange on November 12, 2021, 07:17:49 PM

Not to mention Mr. T's astonishing performance. They should have made a spin-off Drago v Clubber Lang film.

Famous Mortimer

https://melmagazine.com/en-us/story/rocky-iv-directors-cut

Pretty interesting article which goes in-depth into the changes made. Makes me more interested than I was in seeing it.

Oh, Nobody

I was hoping this would add scenes to back up my theory that Drago was originally meant to be a robot. The signs were all there!

Blumf

That bit where Drago wishes Paulie 'Happy birthday'?

Johnny Textface

They've removed the scenes with Paulie's robot girlfriend, which means they've retroactively removed AI from the Rocky universe.

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 18, 2021, 04:37:35 PMhttps://melmagazine.com/en-us/story/rocky-iv-directors-cut

Pretty interesting article which goes in-depth into the changes made. Makes me more interested than I was in seeing it.

Went to see it yesterday afternoon in the re-opened electric.

Enjoyed - think that article gets across the changes etc really well. It feels like a slower movie, the character stuff with Weathers is pushed forward whilst the boxing fight at the end is still a spectacle. Glad I went, tbh.