Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:59:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Scream 5

Started by up_the_hampipe, January 09, 2022, 11:43:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

up_the_hampipe

Apparently it's just called 'Scream' even though it's a direct sequel. I'm a big fan of the Scream franchise, even the third one is pretty enjoyable. This will be the first one not directed by Wes Craven, which does make me a little worried but early reactions seem to be very positive. I remember feeling very unsure when they released the fourth film back in 2011, but that turned out to be my favourite sequel of them all. Do you care about this?

It's coming out this Friday. Trailer:

Spoiler: Neve Campbell is gorgeous.

Avril Lavigne

I love Scream but this will be shit.

Showing my working out:
1.All modern reboot-remake-soft-reboot-sequels are shit

2.Everything's shit

Avril Lavigne

Also there hasn't been a good Scream sequel since 2 and that was a big step down from the orig

Avril Lavigne

- Cinematography will look too 2022-slick compared to the older movies but not as part of the commentary on how horror has visually changed in that time

- Dialogue will be too on-the-nose self-aware in a Scream 3 and 4 way

- Whole thing will ultimately be geared towards jettisoning the old characters and launching a New Generation franchise with the hopes of putting out 3 more movies and another rebooted TV series

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on January 10, 2022, 12:31:47 AM- Dialogue will be too on-the-nose self-aware in a Scream 3 and 4 way

It actually looks like they're going for a more serious tone in this one. 3 & 4 were a bit campy. Still love 4 though.

beanheadmcginty

Sequels that have the same title as the original film need to get in the pedal bin.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on January 10, 2022, 12:45:34 AMIt actually looks like they're going for a more serious tone in this one. 3 & 4 were a bit campy. Still love 4 though.

Those were just my cynical-drunko predictions, I'm really hoping none of them come true :)

mothman

I think you're right about then looking to soft-reboot with new characters though.
Spoiler alert
Will be really sucky if it means killing off Sidney/Dewey/Gail though.
[close]

Shaky

I quite liked 2 and can't remember a thing about 3 besides the opening sequence - is 4 genuinely worth a watch?

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Shaky on January 10, 2022, 01:56:50 AMI quite liked 2 and can't remember a thing about 3 besides the opening sequence - is 4 genuinely worth a watch?

I'd say so. It's fun and has one of my favourite Ghostfaces in the whole franchise.

Quote from: mothman on January 10, 2022, 01:34:03 AMI think you're right about then looking to soft-reboot with new characters though.

They already tried that with the Scream TV series and no one really cared. Good luck to them if that's what they're trying.

Mister Six

I loved the first two, but the third just seemed too far up its own arse with the Jay & Silent Bob and Carrie Fisher cameos, and honestly it didn't seem to have a reason to exist (the "anything can happen" pitch was especially lame since nothing unexpected happened at all). Losing Kevin Williamson as writer was a far bigger blow to the series than losing Wes Craven might be, I think.

Surprised that Scream 4 had a good response. Hard to see what they can come up with justify a fifth film.

Small Man Big Horse

I had pretty much no interest in this but Variety ran a story a couple of days ago saying that it's received a lot of positive praise: https://variety.com/2022/film/news/scream-first-reactions-best-since-original-1235148819/

I'm not going to the cinema right now but if reviews from trusted sources / folks on here suggest it's good I'll definitely give it a shot when it's out to stream.

Bad Ambassador

These 'first reactions' are usually very positive, as they come from fringe journalists who are just trying to get on the ladder at press affairs, or from fans who've been invited and will give positive reviews regardless of the film's quality. That's not saying that 5cream is likely to be bad, just that these 'first reactions' can usually be ignored.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I liked the first one, but thought 2 was ploppy (20+ years ago). Is it worth checking out any of the others? 4 just turned up on Netflix.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 10, 2022, 12:42:13 PMI liked the first one, but thought 2 was ploppy (20+ years ago). Is it worth checking out any of the others? 4 just turned up on Netflix.

Worth revisiting I reckon. They're not high art by any means, but they're good fun and the cheeky "meta" writing doesn't tip into Deadpool smugness, at least for me.

Hmm. I thought smugness was a large part of 2's ploppiness.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 10, 2022, 01:16:31 PMHmm. I thought smugness was a large part of 2's ploppiness.

Maybe it felt that way at the time, but now it feels more affectionate, not above its own genre. I feel like there's been stuff since then that is a lot more cynical, so these films hold up better in comparison.

Magnum Valentino

The relentlessness of the opening of 4 is like a bad sketch and I can't remember the rest of the film outside Hayden Panieterre being cool as fuck in it

Is the TV series 'canon' as they say?

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on January 10, 2022, 01:20:29 PMMaybe it felt that way at the time, but now it feels more affectionate, not above its own genre. I feel like there's been stuff since then that is a lot more cynical, so these films hold up better in comparison.
I've no particular affection for slasher movies myself. It was more the conversation about sequels being worse - like they were trying to prove that they were clever enough to avoid that pitfall when, in my opinion, they hadn't.

madhair60

madhair60

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: mothman on January 10, 2022, 01:34:03 AMI think you're right about then looking to soft-reboot with new characters though.
Spoiler alert
Will be really sucky if it means killing off Sidney/Dewey/Gail though.
[close]

I get the feeling this is gonna happen, possibly even by way of
Spoiler alert
one of them being revealed to be the new killer.
[close]
I could be wrong but that's the the only twist I can see the series taking other than
Spoiler alert
having Stu turn out to have survived being electrocuted from a television falling on his head.
[close]

Spoiler alert
I don't know why we're spoiler-tagging speculation but it does lend a frisson of excitement to posts
[close]

druss

Genuine spoiler warning (shouldn't have to put this if these things were used properly), but I saw on twitter that
Spoiler alert
the first four films are revealed to have been a dream.
[close]

Mister Six

Quote from: druss on January 10, 2022, 05:53:26 PMGenuine spoiler warning (shouldn't have to put this if these things were used properly), but I saw on twitter that
Spoiler alert
the first four films are revealed to have been a dream.
[close]

Spoiler alert
And then it's used to soft-reboot A Nightmare on Elm St.
[close]

Avril Lavigne

That would actually be terrible and awesome at the same time.

Rev+

The posters for this make me think they'll be attempting Kevin Williamson's original idea for Scream 3 (easily searchable, and a bit like April Fool's Day if you've seen that).

I'm up for this but it should have been a full reboot.  My guess is that the returning characters will have very minor roles until the end, and that the whole thing will have been written without them originally.

Small Man Big Horse

The AV Club gave it a B- - https://www.avclub.com/a-new-generation-takes-a-stab-at-scream-in-the-first-se-1848340926 - It's Katie Rife who I only sometimes agree with, but it's enough to make me look forward to downloading it in a couple of months time.

mothman

Thing that always annoyed me about the first film was a scene when early on you see that Ghostface is lurking in the woods outside Sidney's house. He doesn't attack or anything, just lurks. In costume. Nobody sees him. Just the audience. A little jump scare to raise the tension.

But why is he there? Well, we know why. But in costume? Where anybody could see him? Out of costume, it's just a kid in the woods. Anybody who sees him is going to know something's amiss.