Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:50:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What cunty little apps should I put on my iPhone?

Started by Neil, July 19, 2010, 03:36:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

It's a 3GS.  I know having an iPhone means you have to talk about it all the time, so I thought I'd get some practice in.  I've got shoutcast on there, Skype, Dictionary.com, Wikipanion, a mother-fucking spirit level, a torch, a cuddly toy, Tonepad, Runkeeper Free and TWITTEERRR!!

What's on yours?

Zero Gravitas

jutl

These are good: Angry Birds, iBooks, Stanza, Yelp, Colloquy, Shazam, RedLaser, MotionX, Denki Blocks

Blumf

Quote from: Neil on July 19, 2010, 03:44:55 PM
Hahaha.  5 weeks since a drop last passed these lips.

Are we going to have to check between your toes now as well?

Ignatius_S

Here's a few:

WordWeb – free - great dictionary app

Colour Mill – free – fantastic app for correcting or changing colours in images; if you edit photos on your iPhone, this is a must.

TiltShift Generator – not free (59p?) – there are a few fake miniature apps,  but this one is the best. Very useful for creating depth of field in your photos – but recommended you use an app like Colour Mill to grade the colouring.

SoundHound – free/not free - music recognition a la Shazam, but will work with singing or humming.

ColourSplash – not free – turns images into black and white, and allows you to select which areas have colour restored.

Hipstamatic – not free - fun camera app that simulates a retro look when taking pictures old school.

5-0 Radio– free/not free – police scanner and radio station feed ... the pro version lets you listen to Howard Stern.

Space Invaders Infinity Gene – not free – cracking arcade fun.

The Masked Unit

Feel free to recommend android apps as well fellas.

niat

TuneIn Radio is the best app I've got. You can listen to pretty much any radio station in the world, record from it, set the timer to record shows etc etc.

Since the iOS4 update introduced multi-tasking, it's even better as it can run in the background while you use other apps.

Not the right thread for this, but when viewing CaB in Safari, the drop-down menu where you should be able to jump to other boards doesn't work properly, it only lists the current board.

VegaLA

I've played that Word wrap game on the iPhone and it is very addictive! Shame I can't find it for my AWESOME NEW Droid X, but this cross platform little gem should bridge things between iPhone and Android.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/19/android-versus-iphone-live-multiplayer-gaming-made-possible-in-s/

Or start a flaming war, one of the other......!

jutl

Quote from: The Masked Unit on July 19, 2010, 04:15:53 PM

Obvious, but Google Sky Map is excellent, and better than any of the iOS alternatives I've tried.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: The Masked Unit on July 19, 2010, 04:15:53 PM
Probably best having another thread for that, I suppose but have a look at DoubleTwist.

Neil

Android stuff is fine too, any of that shit.

Quote from: niat on July 19, 2010, 04:20:03 PM
Not the right thread for this, but when viewing CaB in Safari, the drop-down menu where you should be able to jump to other boards doesn't work properly, it only lists the current board.

Looking into this now, it did look a bit clunky when I tried it the other night.

Neil

OK, the auto-detection doesn't seem to be working on my iPhone, so try clicking through this link on your phone:

http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/index.php?theme=10

Normal CaB theme is

http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/index.php?theme=9

Slaaaaabs

Flick Kick Football is the game I keep coming back to. Very addictive.

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

Fuck! I only just found out there is an iPhone theme for CaB. I must have wasted hours and hours trying
to browse on the normal theme.

Many thanks,
ETT

Neil

I only just installed it, due to niat reminding me to check now that I have one.  So all your wasted hours are very much ahead of you.

Will CaB-ify it.

thepuffpastryhangman

Flick Kick Football is the game I keep coming back to. Very addictive.

Does it ever go in off the post/bar?

Slaaaaabs

Quote from: thepuffpastryhangman on July 19, 2010, 06:36:05 PM
Does it ever go in off the post/bar?

Very rarely.

Would love to see them build a "Jumpers For Goalposts" type career mode around what they have.

Jaffit

Whatsapp is a great app that lets you message anyone else with an iphone for free. Works a bit like msn messenger.

I never use the normal SMS now as most of my friends have iphones and the whatsapp interface is much nicer and free (other than the one off 59p)

jutl

Ooh... the iPhone theme is very convenient. Thanks!

TIAL

Yeah thanks Neil for the new iPhone theme! Bit lazy to ask, but when I get back to my PC will the theme change on there too?

Slaaaaabs

Ooh yeah this is much better. The full fat version often crashes my modest 3G.

A big list of a bunch of apps I've got on my iPod Touch:

Applications:

BargainBin (free) -- Give it a list of apps, give it target prices, and it'll tell you when the prices drop to meet their targets

TV Guide (free with ads) -- A no-frills TV Guide. Very basic (no reminders or anything like that) but works well enough

ShopShop (free)  -- Handy shopping list app; you might as well tap stuff into your phone as and when you remember you need it than compile a list on a scrap of paper or summat

Wikipanion (free, improved paid-for version available) -- Wikipedia frontend; better than browsing via the site

TweakyBeat (free) -- Very simple monophonic music sequencer but lots of fun

Games:

Words With Friends (free with ads, not-free with no ads) -- Ace Scrabble clone

Brick Breaker Deluxe 2 (not free) -- Good Arkanoid clone

Bookworm (not free) -- Ace spell-the-words game

geoDefense / geoDefense Swarm (not free) -- Excellent tower defence games

Eliss (not free) -- Sublime and unique game that takes full advantage of the multitouch touchscreen so couldn't be played on anything other than the iPhone/iPad

Lux Touch (free, improved paid-for version available) -- Fairly basic (doesn't save when you exit the app so could be a problem if you get a phone call mid-game) version of Risk but plays very well

Strategery (not free) -- Abstract Risk-style game (very similar to the Flash game Dice Wars)

lilt line (not free) -- Cross between a tilt-to-steer race game and a rhythm action game, with a vicious dubstep soundtrack

Flight Control (not free) -- Draw lines to guide planes to the correct airstrip. Simple but utterly addictive. See also Harbor Master, a slightly (but only slightly) more complex clone

PuzzleQuest (not free) -- It's Bejeweled crossed with an RPG and it's addictive as anything.

Peggle (not free) -- IT'S PEGGLE

Plants vs Zombies (not free) -- IT'S PLANTS VS ZOMBIES

Slay (not free) -- If you ever bought a PC magazine in the 90s then you probably played the shareware Windows version of Slay. Turn-based strategy game

Tiki Totems (free but with extra levels available as DLC, BUT the paid-for version with all current and future DLC is only 59p anyway) -- Tap the screen to remove a certain number of blocks without allowing the golden totem to hit the ground. A bit like Jenga crossed with Kerplunk I guess?

El Unicornio, mang

Bump - you bump your iPhone against someone elses iPhone and it transfers all your contact info to their phone. This sounds like I'm joking, but it is an actual app.

There's also a cool one where you take a pic of somewhere and it tells you where it is. Not sure why you would ever use it but it's cool anyway.

ozziechef

Wow, that iphone skin is great.

Apps I like :
foursquare
football manager 2010 (best iphone game - despite the fact it's £6)
Doodlejump (much more fun that Angry birds)
The Guardian (again not free but great)
Opera Mini
MyPhone+ (again it's not free but sync's up contacts and facebook etc. - the androids do this for free though)
Worldview (lets yuou see loads of webcams)
System Activity Monitor (again it's 59p but is a task manager for the iphone)

Ignatius_S

Some great selections... how coudl I omit Peggle? *slaps head*

I haven't used it myself, but YouMail has come highly recommended - basically, it acts like Visual Voicemail.

Nibbsy

A couple of others I don't think have been mentioned:

Firefox home: syncs your bookmarks and currently open tabs from your desktop pc

Air video: stream video from your desktop pc. Converts almost any format on the fly.

Instapaper: save web articles for offline reading. Also reformats them to iPhone friendly.

Another thumbs up from me for the new iPhone theme. Thanks, Neil!

All Surrogate

It's not cunty, but I'll take the opportunity to plug an app created by a cosmologist friend of mine.

Galaxy Zoo

Help science in your idle moments.

Sovereign

Quote from: Ignatius_S on July 19, 2010, 04:12:30 PMool.

5-0 Radio– free/not free – police scanner and radio station feed ... the pro version lets you listen to Howard Stern.

Did I read that right? A fucking police scanner?? They're well illegal!

They are great fun though. I had one for a while, and I remember listening to a teenage joyrider who'd stolen a police car taunting the police as they chase him, and then listening to the police apoplectic with rage as they were getting outwitted.