Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:58:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What cunty little apps should I put on my iPhone?

Started by Neil, July 19, 2010, 03:36:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Grabbing Galaxy Zoo now, sounds quite cool.  I'm loving the free version of iSniper, tilty sniping fun.  That Angry Birds is tops, and I think I might have went over my download limit by grabbing loads of books the other night with Stanza, or does it wait till you plug into the puter? 

I was listening to the police scanners last night, yes, very cool, takes me back that does. 

mcbpete

If you've got an [oh-so-lovely] android phone then Google Googles is a must -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hhgfz0zPmH4

It's like somehow jumping 10 years into the future, it freaked the crap out of me when I tried it out ...

actwithoutwords

Heh, I wasn't sure whether to mention it in the thread. But a guy I know had a (two person) company bought by Google that is presumably related to that very thing. Lucky, clever, bastard.

glitch

Quote from: ozziechef on July 20, 2010, 09:58:19 AM
MyPhone+ (again it's not free but sync's up contacts and facebook etc. - the androids do this for free though)

The best syncing I've seen is Google. I now use it for contacts and calendar stuff and it's brilliant. And free. Really recommended, even if you don't use GMail.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Sovereign on July 20, 2010, 05:03:44 PM
Did I read that right? A fucking police scanner?? They're well illegal!

They are great fun though. I had one for a while, and I remember listening to a teenage joyrider who'd stolen a police car taunting the police as they chase him, and then listening to the police apoplectic with rage as they were getting outwitted.
Oops, I should have said that it's American ones... but still great fun!

alan nagsworth

This game is a thing of beauty:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRVN0mfV7MA

Tilt the screen to wrap the rope around objects of varying shape and depth, covering them with paint. The object is to cover a certain percentage of the object to progress to the next level. Tranquil ain't the word.

Artemis

Got an iPhone then did you, you cunt? I love them. What a cunt. I can't wait to get an iPhone 4 - that's going to be my birthday prezzie to myself in September. I'm such a cunt. The best little cunting app I found for my phone involved letting you know how often you were saying cunt so I could stop saying it so pissing often. I sold that little iCunt two months ago and since then I've been beaten up twenty three times by cunts.

MojoJojo

Quote from: mcbpete on July 21, 2010, 12:32:30 AM
If you've got an [oh-so-lovely] android phone then Google Googles is a must -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hhgfz0zPmH4

It's like somehow jumping 10 years into the future, it freaked the crap out of me when I tried it out ...

Man, they really need to connect that to street whore reviews. Punternet is fine for Lord Humpsalot, but for your streetwalkers your left in the dark. I look forward to google correcting this problem.

(current whinge: I upgraded to a HTC Desire last Thursday. Package arrived early Friday containing a HTC HD mini. That's fucking Windows Mobile. Return bag arrives Saturday, return same day. Phone them up on Thursday to discover that A) since the Thursday I ordered it on, it was no longer available on my contract, so had to change to a more expensive one and B) they were now out of stock, and I'd now have to wait up to 14 days to get the fucking phone.   Arrrggg, unsatisfied gadget lust!!!)

mcbpete

Boooo, when you finally get the Desire though you will be one happy bunny. I've never been so excited about using a phone before!

(-typed on my HTC natch!)

alan nagsworth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJYRRSMzJb4

I was jamming acid beats all the way home on the bus this morning with this little beauty. Fucking rad piece of kit.

Neil

I've found some free strategy games that are proving very addictive and fun. 

Godville is just a game you kind of watch and check in on every now and again, while your hero plays the game himself.  You can exert control every now and again.  Just fun to get little twitter-style updates on what your hero is doing.

Mafia Wars and World War - Planetarion-style games.  Your energy/ammo/money etc rebuilds over time, so you have to keep checking in a few times a day to see what's happening.  RPG elements, and battles with other players.  Fun.

TIAL

Sorry to bring the thread back to the (marvelous) forum iPhone skin, but I don't seem to be able to get mine to permanently keep it. Even if I tick the 'permanent' box. It keeps reverting back to Verbwhores 2010 after a while.
Does anyone else have the same problem?

Oh and my current app obsessions are flick kick football and doodle jump.

Slaaaaabs

Quote from: TIAL on July 23, 2010, 01:28:20 PM
Sorry to bring the thread back to the (marvelous) forum iPhone skin, but I don't seem to be able to get mine to permanently keep it. Even if I tick the 'permanent' box. It keeps reverting back to Verbwhores 2010 after a while.

Oh and my current app obsessions are flick kick football and doodle jump.

Create a new bookmark for it and it should stay permanently.

Duckula

I had no idea we had an iphone theme! Ace, no more clawing my eyes out trying to read threads on the shitter.

TIAL

Quote from: Slaaaaabs on July 23, 2010, 01:37:39 PM
Create a new bookmark for it and it should stay permanently.

Thanks, I tried that but after a few hours it seems to have reverted back again. I take it I'm the only person this happens to?

VegaLA

Has anyone used the Google Maps yet? Seems like an obvious choice but as an owner of a Tom Tom GPS I never bothered to look into it until last night and oh my word this piece of kit is a work of wonder. Had to meet a friend at a restaurant I was not sure of, and GM found the restaurant and others like it in the area then lists them in a nice display, along with ratings and reviews and also gives you turn by freaking turn directions!
Won't be much longer before I type in 'City of the living dead blu ray' and it gives me a list of nearby stores, sorted by cheapest price and the directions to get there.
Actaully since there are already websites that list products by price and where does anyone know if there is a similar app for iPhone/Android?

jutl

Quote from: VegaLA on July 23, 2010, 03:50:59 PM
Actaully since there are already websites that list products by price and where does anyone know if there is a similar app for iPhone/Android?

Redlaser on iPhone and Shopsavvy on Android allow you to scan barcodes with camera and get local and online price comparisons.

Squink

Quote from: TIAL on July 23, 2010, 01:28:20 PM

I've got the opposite problem to this and appear to be stuck in the iPhone skin on both phone and computer (I'm happy with the former, not so much with the latter). How do I change it back from within the iPhone skin?

Edit: Thanks guys, working now.

thepuffpastryhangman

££ Cleartune works. Should I ever be trapped with a hippy, I've got £ MoonPhase. ££££££ ChessGenius is bloody dull. Factbook's handy sometimes. I'm not a games person but don't regret spending half-a-£ on Juggle!

Quote from: TIAL on July 23, 2010, 03:47:45 PM
Thanks, I tried that but after a few hours it seems to have reverted back again. I take it I'm the only person this happens to?

Nah, happens to me if I haven't read the forums on my iPod for a little while, and especially if I've read them on my PC in the meantime. I just use a bookmark to reset it.

Not that big of a deal (as Jobs would say).

Quote from: Squink on July 23, 2010, 04:49:57 PM
I've got the opposite problem to this and appear to be stuck in the iPhone skin on both phone and computer (I'm happy with the former, not so much with the latter). How do I change it back from within the iPhone skin?

On your PC, click this: http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/index.php?theme=9 ?

Neil

Quote from: Squink on July 23, 2010, 04:49:57 PM

Click this.

http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/index.php?theme=9

Tokyo Sexwhale

I've just become an iCunt  - my iphone 4 is now just setting up on iTunes.  They could have put that bloody sim opening tool somewhere more obvious - I was hunting around for a bloody paperclip.

I've got buyers guilt though - I could have bought a new laptop or an even bigger telly for what I paid for it.  (Well what my company is going to pay for it).

So this is meant to be better than sex and custard slices then.  Let's see...

El Unicornio, mang

niat

Quote from: alan nagsworth on July 22, 2010, 10:02:38 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJYRRSMzJb4

I was jamming acid beats all the way home on the bus this morning with this little beauty. Fucking rad piece of kit.

Addictive, isn't it? Fantastic app.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: niat on July 24, 2010, 12:10:14 AM
Addictive, isn't it? Fantastic app.

The simplicity of the old hardware it emulates is what makes it so easily accessible and yet repetitively addicting. I don't much fancy the BeatMaker app as it looks like it tries to cram in too much and achieves too little as a result. Technobox is bloody fiddly sometimes when you're trying to be technical, though...

Holy crap, Sonic The Hedgehog for £3. I'm fucking having that.

rudi

Quote from: alan nagsworth on July 24, 2010, 10:22:07 AMTechnobox is bloody fiddly sometimes when you're trying to be technical, though...

Indeedy. That's why I'm having my own XoxBox made for me. Get the fuck iiiiiiiin!

TIAL

If anyone goes on 4chan, Anonyma is a really nicely made app for viewing imageboards.

thepuffpastryhangman

Thread's made me shop daft.

Spent 59p on LEDit. Not bad for something a bit like something I've off and on for some while wanted something like.

It makes almost full screen scrolling signs. You're Steve Martin for a mere twelve shillings.

Neil

Did I mention how great RunKeeper is?  I'm using it to clock cycling and walking - it uses GPS to map where you've been, which is just fun to watch in real-time if you've been a dogmatic luddite, as I was.  Keeps track of your pace, calories etc.  Think I'll have to buy the pro version, and that technoBox as well.  Fucking great not to be losing portable music scrobbling, any more, I've lost years of stats there. 

I think I'll have to set up passwords and stuff on this, now.  I got gmail working on it now, and the thought of losing the whole thing is terrifying. 

I've a little arrow pointing NE in my iphone status bar now.  What's that?  I'm sure it's something to do with the compass - it's that same arrow in the bottom left of it which seems to take you to the map.  How I get rid? 

I think I've worked out why the iPhone skin is being flaky.  I should be able to get the auto-detection working tomorrow. 

thepuffpastryhangman

Thanks to whoever recommended TuneIn Radio, it is superb.

Just got the new BBC News app, seems ok at first glance.

Bloody store keeps me awake. I blame this thread.