Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,329
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:37:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Interesting Facts thread part 2

Started by weekender, December 09, 2011, 07:57:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weekender

I love facts and trivia.  So much so that I started a thread once, which apparently lasted nearly 5 years and made it to 8 whole pages, that's how damn good it was.

I think we need more inane facts about things that don't really matter, so I'm going to start and hope people join in.

Here are some that I have recently learnt:

1. The entire system of road sign design used in the UK was pretty much designed from scratch in the 1950s and 1960s by Jock Kinneir and Margaret Calvert.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15990443

2. From the moment a baby is born, only one area of the body never grows, and that is the eyes.

Source: A quiz I went to.

3. A and B road numbers in the UK are broadly determined in accordance with 9 numbering zones.

Source: Wikipedia

NOW FACT ME 'TIL I FART.

biggytitbo

• Hot water freezes faster than cold water.[nb]Well, sometimes anyway[/nb] Its called the Mpemba effect.
  • Sylvester Stallone's grandfather invented the  modern pea.
  • Sign language is the 2nd most used language in the USA after english.

the midnight watch baboon

There are more people alive now then have ever died.

Source: creaking memory

mook

due to the rate of population growth in china, if you were to sit down and have them walk passed you in single file the line would never end.

Beagle 2

McDonald's is the largest toy distributor in the world.

pk1yen

Quote from: the midnight watch baboon on December 09, 2011, 08:13:54 PM
There are more people alive now then have ever died.

Source: creaking memory

Nope!

http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/dead.asp

This is the false-fact that seems to come up the most often for some reason.[nb]See also: "Glass is a liquid!" (it's not)[/nb]

There was a thread about these reverse-facts a while ago, but I forget what it was called.

Alan Moore and Matt Smith went to the same school![nb]Admittedly, this is only interesting to a certain number of people.[/nb]

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northampton_School_for_Boys#Notable_alumni

Quote from: pk1yen on December 09, 2011, 09:10:11 PM
Nope!

http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/dead.asp

This is the false-fact that seems to come up the most often for some reason.[nb]See also: "Glass is a liquid!" (it's not)[/nb]

B L A S T !

It didn't sound right to be honest

biggytitbo

Snopes is full of shit, who gives them the right to decide what's true anyway?[nb]My personal opinion, Snopes are just a couple of gits, they aren't some omnipotent judge[/nb]

I did a born and died spreadsheet at work for a month; averaged 17 born - 3 died daily.

COINCIDENCE?

phes

None of the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park existed in the Jurassic period.

biggytitbo

Dinosaurs are actually a hoax conspired by boyhood chums Christopher Biggins and Richard Dawkins as a way of creating future royalties.

Serge

Quote from: biggytitbo on December 09, 2011, 09:42:48 PMDinosaurs are actually a hoax conspired by boyhood chums Christopher Biggins and Richard Dawkins as a way of creating future royalties.

If this is so, WHY IS THERE NO BIGGINOSAUR?

Slightly dull fact that always amuses me: Paddy Considine and Toby Kebbell, who play brothers in 'Dead Man's Shoes' have both played Joy Division manager Rob Gretton in different movies.

alcoholic messiah

If you were to translate the history of the Earth[nb]About 4.5 billion years[/nb] into a twelve-hour period, here's an approximate timeline of some notable events:

0:00The Earth forms.
1:20Simple life emerges.
2:40The most recent common ancestor of all life on Earth exists.
11:23Dinosaurs first roam the planet.
11:50Most dinosaurs are wiped out. The rise of the mammals begins.
11:59:58The first Homo Sapiens shows up.
11:59:59.3Modern humans leave Africa and begin colonising the rest of the planet.
11:59:59.9997      The birth of biggytitbo.
12:00Now!

Zero Gravitas

I think that makes biggytitbo around 15.76 years old.

biggytitbo

You dirty boys. I've heard Jonathan King is a membr of this forum but this is ridiculous.

alcoholic messiah

Quote from: Zero Gravitas on December 09, 2011, 11:52:04 PM
I think that makes biggytitbo around 15.76 years old.

Check your sums. Wishing it won't make it true.

Zero Gravitas

4.54 * (10^9) years * ((300 microseconds) / (24 hours)) = 15.7638889 years

Sexy because it's true!

Blumf

Quote from: weekender on December 09, 2011, 07:57:40 PM
3. A and B road numbers in the UK are broadly determined in accordance with 9 numbering zones.

Source: Wikipedia

NOW FACT ME 'TIL I FART.

Follow through:
http://www.cbrd.co.uk/indepth/roadnumbers/history.shtml

Also, keep an eye out for semi-official 'C' roads.

phes

1.432 x 10^17  / 43200 = 3.3 x 10^12 (seconds in timescale 1/ seconds in timescale 2)

3.3 x 10 ^12 (0.0003) = 9.9 x 10^8 seconds

11458/365  = 31.42 years

gmoney

Former Newcastle, West Ham and Portsmouth goalkeeper Shaka Hislop worked for NASA before getting into football. His first name is actually Neil.

Sticking with the goalkeeper theme, Arthur Conan Doyle played in goal for Portsmouth. I think it might be a different team from what is now Portsmouth FC, but it's still fairly interesting. Isn't it...? Oh fuck off.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

More goalie trivia: Pulp drummer Nick Banks is Gordon Banks' nephew.

alcoholic messiah

Quote from: alcoholic messiah on December 09, 2011, 11:46:15 PM
If you were to translate the history of the Earth into a twelve-hour period

Quote from: Zero Gravitas on December 10, 2011, 01:46:02 AM
4.54 * (10^9) years * ((300 microseconds) / (24 hours)) = 15.7638889 years

CHECK YOUR SUMS.

Quote from: Zero Gravitas on December 10, 2011, 01:46:02 AM
Sexy because it's true!

Wishing it in a gimp mask crafted from the foreskin of an endangered cetacean won't make it true.

holyzombiejesus

Watch out people, we're veering into Frank Beard territory here...

mook

who cares, the only thing that matters is that baxter is getting a kicking.

Absorb the anus burn

Judi Dench has bad breath and looks like a pig. Fact.

sirhenry

Victorian slang:

QuoteCAB. A brothel. Mother: how many tails have you in your cab? = How many girls have you in your bawdy house?

small_world

Quote from: weekender on December 09, 2011, 07:57:40 PM

1. The entire system of road sign design used in the UK was pretty much designed from scratch in the 1950s and 1960s by Jock Kinneir and Margaret Calvert.

I knew about that woman who done them signs. Saw her on the radio.
What I don't get though, from that linked page:
QuoteIt has long been remarked upon that the man digging actually seems to be struggling with an umbrella, and Calvert wishes she had made the shovel more shovel-like.
It's not a fucking shovel, he's ploughing into a pile of dirt. He is USING a shovel, but it's IN the pile.

When you see them in isolation, the road signs - especially the blue and green road map ones - look really 60's. Weird that I've never noticed that.

small_world

Quote from: pk1yen on December 09, 2011, 09:10:11 PM
Nope!

There was a thread about these reverse-facts a while ago, but I forget what it was called.

FRANK BEARDISMS... DIG IT UP!!!!