Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:45:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Irn Bru

Started by madhair60, February 06, 2012, 03:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

More like - gnrk - IRN SPU. (lol)

What is up with this pop, you guys?  Is it just a big practical joke at the expense of the English consumer of carbonated drinks?  It tastes terribad.  What is wrong with the Scottish?  Why are they such a nation of thirst bullshitters?

Consignia

They three taps in sinks in Scotland. 1 hot, 1 cold and 1 Irn-Bru. I find it OK, but I wouldn't go mad over it.

shiftwork2

Ok guys, we're looking for a name for our Sainsburys knock-off version of Irn Bru.  Has anyone got any ideas? As wacky or imaginative as you like.

madhair60

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I like Irn-Bru though I do find it on the gassy side these days, as with a lot of the products that company do.

Way back when, I thought it was cool because it was orange. As I've grown older I've discovered more and more that orange things aren't very cool.

Hank Venture

Saw it in a local store once, never understood the ridiculous name, therefore I never bought it. Shame, 'cause when I found out what a following it has it got taken out of production.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: shiftwork2 on February 06, 2012, 04:03:45 PM
Ok guys, we're looking for a name for our Sainsburys knock-off version of Irn Bru.  Has anyone got any ideas? As wacky or imaginative as you like.

Rust-ade

biggytitbo

Is it true that Scotland is one of the few western countries where Cocal Cola is not the No1 selling soft drink?

I use to use Irn Bru as a hangover cure but then I got bad guts so i don't drink fizzy drinks anymore.

CaledonianGonzo

To be fair to Sainsburys, similarly to bottles of 'Cola' most supermarket versions and knock-offs are called 'Iron Brew'.

Except in Russia - a can I had there was called 'DjabbaDjabba' (sic) and had a duck on the label.

This was the real deal:

Quote from: biggytitboIs it true that Scotland is one of the few western countries where Cocal Cola is not the No1 selling soft drink?

I think the last I heard was that Coke was now marginally outselling it, but I don't think there's much in it.

The only other country where a local brand outsold Coke was in Peru where Inca Kola was the #1 beverage - but then Coke solved the problem by buying the company.

Blumf

madhair60

Utter Shit

I had a weird epiphany the other day and realised that Mountain Dew, if you sit and 'think' about it while you're drinking it, sort of tastes like you're drinking it from a glass that hasn't been rinsed properly. It has an aftertaste of disinfectant.

Similarly I realised the other day while drinking Coke that rather than just being flavourlessly (but still somehow enjoyably) sweet, it actually has a shitload of recognisable tastes, most notably cinnamon.

I have consumed more of this subtle and delightful beverage over the years than is strictly healthy but even I have drawn the line so far at the limited edition 'Irn Bru Fiery'  Should I try it and offer a review?  Perhaps someone else already has so that I don't have to? (I presume it isn't available down south in the land of the ersatz 'iron brew' substitute?

Irn-Bru's really just for the tourists though - the true connoisseurs of ginger prefer the alluring crimson glow of its sister product Red Kola:

Utter Shit

Is Irn Bru ginger flavoured? I can't say I've ever noticed that. It seems to have no specific, recognisable flavour that I'm aware of.

CaledonianGonzo

Fiery Irn Bru is ginger flavoured.

It's like Irn Bru mixed with Ginger Beer.

edit:  Reading back, I see that Clatty is using the term 'ginger' in the Scots colloquial sense to describe a carbonated beverage.

falafel

It's not that fiery either but the one time I had it I had to avoid breathing in through my mouth after taking a swig because the fumes were making me cough, the way you do when you fry hot chillis. Try it, by all means, but hold your breath.

CaledonianGonzo

At any rate, I think anyone wanting to try it will need to source some first - I haven't seen it in a shop for a while, and this forum's own Melodichaze has probably already bought up the last remaining stocks of it.

falafel

Got mine in th Pound shop in Balham a couple of weeks back which suggests it's on its way out.

I think I saw some the other day in a much less prestigious shop - ASDA's 24hr Superstore in Hamilton.  Can only really convince myself to buy anything from the 'Wal-Mart Family' when it is very late at night and there is nothing else open though - I might just have to give it a miss and forever wonder what might've been....

doppelkorn

Right! That's two separate mentions of shops in Balham in two days. If you're not careful you're getting a third from me.

SOTS

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on February 06, 2012, 04:24:53 PM
I have consumed more of this subtle and delightful beverage over the years than is strictly healthy but even I have drawn the line so far at the limited edition 'Irn Bru Fiery'  Should I try it and offer a review?  Perhaps someone else already has so that I don't have to? (I presume it isn't available down south in the land of the ersatz 'iron brew' substitute?

Fiery Irn Bru is fantastic. I'm going to be very disappointed when it inevitably gets discontinued.

shiftwork2

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on February 06, 2012, 04:13:02 PM
To be fair to Sainsburys, similarly to bottles of 'Cola' most supermarket versions and knock-offs are called 'Iron Brew'.

Oh probably, it's just the brazen use of standard spelling and 'literalness'[nb]Not really as it's iron-free and isn't brewed[/nb] that amused me.  Like opening a tyre and exhaust place called Quick Fit.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheonI think I saw some the other day in a much less prestigious shop - ASDA's 24hr Superstore in Hamilton.  Can only really convince myself to buy anything from the 'Wal-Mart Family' when it is very late at night and there is nothing else open though - I might just have to give it a miss and forever wonder what might've been...

Or:

- Take one can of Irn Bru
- Open
- Add a couple of drops of ginger essence or ginger flavouring
- Swirl slightly to mix
- Drink

(probably)

Tokyo Sexwhale

Not too fussed with Irn Bru the drink - but do like the Irn Bru chew (chu?).

Beagle 2

Absolutely, my poor old teeth would never take it now but they were lush.

Big Jack McBastard

Nowt wrong with Irn Bru, now Tizer that's fucking foul, I defy you to get through a 2lt bottle like you would coke/diet coke without regretting taking me up on this.

MolochD

The Revolution is sponsored by Irn Bru and located on Blackpool's Pleasure Beach, as Gil Scott Heron famously observed.

thepuffpastryhangman

I know this sounds incredible but I remember a non-Barrs - I think it might've been Apollo - Iron Brew. It was grey and contained, yes, iron. (I've not looked it up and had forgotten all about it until today) I'm talking 1970s.

As a kid, so called holidaying in Scotland I'd be occasionally treated to Irn Bru with a dollop of vanilla ice cream. It frothed to fuckery. Exciting stuff.

Tiny Poster

Quote from: Beagle 2 on February 06, 2012, 04:54:42 PM
Absolutely, my poor old teeth would never take it now but they were lush.

One side tasted of nothing, the other is currently making my mouth water.

And they had REAL IRON IN YOU GUYS

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Tokyo Sexwhale on February 06, 2012, 04:53:55 PM
Not too fussed with Irn Bru the drink - but do like the Irn Bru chew (chu?).

Oh they are awesome, I even lost a milk tooth on one. It has now become a sort of rite of passage every northerner must go through.