Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:00:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Irn Bru

Started by madhair60, February 06, 2012, 03:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HappyTree

Quote from: thepuffpastryhangman on February 06, 2012, 06:53:57 PM'the pop man'

We had "Alpine" as some generic brand. The guy would come to the door and we'd buy 6 bottles of crap a week. One time he saw our sticker on the door that said "I love cats" and graffiti'd on it "And my hubby". That phrase remained a complete mystery until about 3 years ago when it suddenly occurred to me that perhaps he once tried it on with my mum and she refused his advances, so in a fit of spurned pique he grumpily acknowledged her steadfast fidelity to my dad. That would be kinda interesting anyway. Had I known I would have told him he was barking up the wrong tree as she was totally sexually repressed. Poor randy sod :-D

As for the Bru, I of course love it. Mainly because I can't get any. It is beautiful straight out the fridge with ice, it's somehow wetter than water for quenching a thirst. I do sometimes have the urge to order it from the excellent ex-pat UK food delivery service British Corner Shop. In fact I may soon get some Easter eggs from them and bung a couple of litres of Bru into the basket.

HappyTree

Oh I see this is now general nostalgia.

I miss Lilt. I long for a Lilt. Do they still make it?

Big Jack McBastard

Yep, and it's still nice, especially with vodka.

CaledonianGonzo

It should be mentioned that their advertising is usually a bit better than average:

The Snowman parody animation is also a mini-classic of its kind.

momatt

Quote from: biggytitbo on February 06, 2012, 04:12:21 PM
Is it true that Scotland is one of the few western countries where Cocal Cola is not the No1 selling soft drink?

I saw this on a BBC documentary about branding recently.  Tis my main reason for liking Irn Bru.

Quote from: biggytitbo on February 06, 2012, 07:57:53 PM
Wasn't there an irn bru alco-pop at one time? There must have been because I remeber drinking gallons of it in the late 90s. Unless it was just irn bru and the 'Blotto' effect.
There was WILD BREW.  £1 a bottle, which was decorated all over with tiger stripes, in Nottingham's Rock City.  You used to get a sugar rush beforen the alcohol took effect.  Lovely stuff.

Melodichaze

Can't believe I missed an entire thread on Irn-Bru!!! I bloomin' love that stuff and am muchly missing the 'Fiery...' ltd stuff :(

I was reminiscing about 'old' drinks quite recently and how my mate and I used to feel really 'grown up' buying Top Deck - shandy or lager and lime flavours. They seemed to disappear with the old ring pulls.
I used to love the old 'Fruit salad' pop too - which tasted very little like the sweets but was zingy enough to give you a light buzz.

I miss e-numbers

spanky

Quote from: shiftwork2 on February 06, 2012, 04:03:45 PM
Ok guys, we're looking for a name for our Sainsburys knock-off version of Irn Bru.  Has anyone got any ideas? As wacky or imaginative as you like.

I do like their take on Dr Pepper:

Replies From View

I would have done Duster Pepper or Master Pesto.

Waking Life

I was really pleased when I found some (proper Barrs) on sale in Sydney, having missed it for some 8 months.  In the cheap drink section too, with the Woolworths own-brand Kola. 

It was all fun and games until someone spilled some on the cream carpet in our flat.  Not even the Rug Doctor could help us get our deposit back.

Quote from: Waking Life on March 08, 2012, 05:09:55 PM
I was really pleased when I found some (proper Barrs) on sale in Sydney, having missed it for some 8 months.  In the cheap drink section too, with the Woolworths own-brand Kola. 

It was all fun and games until someone spilled some on the cream carpet in our flat.  Not even the Rug Doctor could help us get our deposit back.

That's what international travel, living abroad and broadening your cultural horizons is all about.....trying to scrub Irn Bru out of a carpet thousands of miles away from home!

Replies From View

Or moving the furniture around prior to drinking Irn Bru, so that when you move everything back again the stains are all covered.

I accept the terms of the

Quote from: drambo on March 09, 2012, 01:16:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLQK6GgrhBM
For a short period in the 90s that curtained boy played every male teenager bit part on TV.

HappyTree