Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:41:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Odd words that pop into your head when you're half asleep

Started by Cerys, February 22, 2012, 01:52:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SetToStun

Quote from: Utter Shit on February 27, 2012, 11:48:57 AM
I lay awake last night thinking about what an odd word 'mortgage' is. How it's spelled, how it's pronounced...it just doesn't really work.

It's an excellent word, that - the "mort" part means "death" and the "gage" means promise/pledge so it really means "promise until death". Originally a mortgage was a lifelong financial obligation - nowadays you can get it all settled in 25 years or less. The "t" isn't pronounced as "mort" is a French word.[nb]And therefore shoddy and positively reeking of garlic.[/nb]

Buelligan

Quote from: SetToStun on February 27, 2012, 12:22:11 PM
... as "mort" is a French word.[nb]And therefore shoddy and positively reeking of garlic.[/nb]

Like rather a lot of "your" so-called language? heheheh [/shrugs]

SetToStun

*sigh* Alright, let's start with the basics. English is a non-inflected Indo-European language derived from dialects of...

HappyTree

Hank Venture

Today I woke up intensely focused on a man called Danny Linfield from Baker Street. I have no idea who this is. This is particularly weird since my mother tongue isn't English.

Nobody Soup

my one doesn't have a good stroy, but I had a dream last night, well, this afternoon if I'm honest, and distinctly remember waking up at the point someone answered a question with "like raviola cola?"

Nobody Soup

you hold the raviola open I'll pour in the coke.

*heston blumenthal exits thread cackling like a maniac*

Buelligan

I had a hellishly real and dark dream recently which culminated in me, full of foreboding, opening a door. 

Inside lay an immeasurable, derelict, empty room, its undulating orange lino stretching endlessly away into the gloom.  The stench of decay, old plastic and mouldering wood assailed me.  I was overwhelmed by dread as a hate-filled voice hissed with cold certainty "Willy Carson".   

I woke in a cold sweat and tried desperately to concentrate on positive things until the dawn light rescued me.

Cerys

It's true.  Willy Carson is the arch-nemesis of all dream baddies.

This morning, as I tried to doze, the words ferry, star and broken back drifted into my head.  I await further developments with trepidation.