Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:23:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Publically Posted Tributes

Started by Neil, February 27, 2012, 01:14:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 28, 2012, 09:09:13 AM
I'm quite shocked how idiotic lower class people can be.

How very dare people celebrate someone's life in a way that's appropriate to them and harms absolutely no one? Well quite.

Treguard of Dunshelm

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on February 28, 2012, 01:53:46 PMOr at least come up with a form of mourning that does not impinge on your eyesight.

Could you? Ta much.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteHow very dare people celebrate someone's life in a way that's appropriate to them and harms absolutely no one?

No-one?

Africa mate.

Buelligan

In France, black lifesize silhouettes are often erected at the spot where people have died in accidents.

And I understand, in many parts of the world, those who have died on bicycles are commemorated with a "ghostbike", a bicycle stripped to the basics, painted white and chained in the relevant spot.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

That's not a car accident silhouette, that's a reminder of the grave situation in Africa.

Neil

It's really interesting to hear of wacky messages, and of what other folks do around the world.

The 'tossing trainers over telegraph eites' thing Doomt mentioned seems to have a lot of different theories behind it. http://www.snopes.com/crime/gangs/sneakers.asp

Doomy Dwyer

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on February 28, 2012, 01:53:46 PM
You must be bereft of emotion if this is the conclusion you reach. Let's ask these people to just forget about the deceased completely. Or at least come up with a form of mourning that does not impinge on your eyesight.

I find this response both harsh and overly melodramatic. I always leave a generous emotional tip when confronted with one of these makeshift shrines to people I've never met before and now never will, often going above the acceptable 10%. I'll squeeze out a tear or two, or even take the time to scrawl a heartfelt "Miss U mate" and a little frowny sad face in magic marker. It's only right.

I was also toying with the idea of knocking out motor spares and modified replica pistols in graveyards by way of making a graphic and painfully literal satirical point about changing notions of dignity and propriety in British society.  But then I thought - would I not merely be prolonging an internet spat by taking an unrealistically extreme and oppositional stance unnecessarily and provocatively in time honoured fashion?

I'm sure I would have been, so I dropped it before it got out of hand.

small_world

Quote from: Doomy Dwyer on February 28, 2012, 12:43:30 PM
In the interests of balance, I'm fucking working class and I think they're mostly shit. Mawkish, insincere, half arsed and ugly. The grammers generally awful too, for bonus points.

*"grammar's"

But yeah. This annoys me too. I am also one of the working class.

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Quote from: Doomy Dwyer on February 28, 2012, 03:42:22 PM
I find this response both harsh and overly melodramatic. I always leave a generous emotional tip when confronted with one of these makeshift shrines to people I've never met before and now never will, often going above the acceptable 10%. I'll squeeze out a tear or two, or even take the time to scrawl a heartfelt "Miss U mate" and a little frowny sad face in magic marker. It's only right.

I was also toying with the idea of knocking out motor spares and modified replica pistols in graveyards by way of making a graphic and painfully literal satirical point about changing notions of dignity and propriety in British society.  But then I thought - would I not merely be prolonging an internet spat by taking an unrealistically extreme and oppositional stance unnecessarily and provocatively in time honoured fashion?

I'm sure I would have been, so I dropped it before it got out of hand.

Ok Will Self, that's enough internet for you today.

Quote from: small_world on February 28, 2012, 03:54:52 PM
I am also one of the working class.

Aye, every day when my ol' pa came back up from t'pit, first thing he'd do after wiping the coal dust off with an old pair of pants, is jet off to Eastern Europe to get drunk and ripped off by working girls.

small_world

^For work.

I'm going to Hungary later on this month.
Anyone know what the whores are like out there?

Quote from: small_world on February 28, 2012, 03:54:52 PM
*"grammar's"

I think he meant for someone to pick up on that.

Although now I am the fool for picking up on someone picking up on it.

Buelligan

Quote from: Doomy Dwyer on February 28, 2012, 12:43:30 PM
In the interests of balance, I'm fucking working class and I think they're mostly shit. Mawkish, insincere, half arsed and ugly. The grammers1 generally awful too, for bonus points.

1. Working Class term for "Grandmama" I believe, Small_World.

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Doomy Dwyer on February 28, 2012, 03:42:22 PM

I was also toying with the idea of knocking out motor spares and modified replica pistols blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Why do we have to deal in such extremes? Always the most intense response whether agreeing or disagreeing. Here's a third option: just ignore them. Walk past and get on with your day. Make a post about the Oscars.

small_world

Quote from: Buelligan on February 28, 2012, 04:39:35 PM
Nice.

Why the fuck is that left one all spreading his fucking paws like that, cunt.
"Oooh, look at me, I've got fucking white paws"....
Nah, that's it, me and cats are over.

Buelligan

hehe I'll pretend I didn't read that ^.

To drift back on topic for a bit, I used to frequent a bikers' snack bar in Wales.  Lots of bikers gather there to chat, admire the bikes, go for a quick ride, then back again for coffee and cigs. 

There was a lad there who was well known, likeable and very, very fast.  One day he was killed when a car pulled out on him from a side road, it really was very sad. 

His many biking friends got together and built a table[nb]They also collected a pretty sizeable sum of money to give to his wife and young son.[/nb], someone welded up the structure, they put a bit about him on the top and it stands outside the cafe to this day, as far as I know, piled with helmets and coffee cups.  I wouldn't mind a memorial like that.

Nobody Soup

there's nowt wrong with it and I think it's quite lovely in some cases. on the news recently though I saw this at the public tribute of that girl who died in doncaster.

yeah, the guy that tried to help was pretty nice and everything but talk about giving yourself a massive pat on the back for it. plus the "but we loved you" bit sounds like it was blurted out to cover an awkward pause, not a carefully considered tribute to the person that died, and they made a mistake on it and thought "ah well, just go over that bit in double lines, that'll do." in fact, the whole thing is about the people that found her, and nothing to do with her. literally the worst people ever.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Street directions from AA Route Finder for how to get out of Doncaster would've been the most fitting.

I accept the terms of the

Quote from: Sony Walkman Prophecies on February 28, 2012, 09:06:16 AM
Im actually quite shocked by some of the comments on here. But I suppose it just goes to show that there's no depths to which middle class snobbery wont descend.
You can just name me or reply directly. And the beer tribute = tasteless thing wasn't a comment on class at all, except for in your head. In fact, a specific incident just outside my house is what made me think about this all a few months back, and that beer-tributed victim was a business owner who had crashed his expensive motorcycle.

My annoyance is with how many of these accidents involve people who are easily associated with drink, because the high correlation suggests that the drink is a factor in causing these accidents, and alcohol isn't a particularly fitting tribute for road deaths anyway. I wouldn't ask anybody to stop grieving in that way,[nb]I also wouldn't tell them that I disapprove[/nb] I just find it tasteless.

Tastelessness is not an attribute exclusive to members of the working classes.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: small_world on February 28, 2012, 04:12:22 PM
^For work.

I'm going to Hungary later on this month.
Anyone know what the whores are like out there?

Yes *titters*[nb]Maniacal Laugh, MANIACAL LAUGH[/nb]

neveragain

Quote from: I accept the terms of the on February 28, 2012, 06:48:45 PM
You can just name me or reply directly...

I think you've won the argument. There's nothing snobbish about pointing out that [aforementioned beer-can-related behaviour] is crass and ill-judged.

Oh no, I don't know if you're being sarcastic or earnestly backing me up.

Tell me your net worth and then I'll decide.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Buelligan on February 28, 2012, 05:37:25 PM

I wouldn't mind a memorial like that.

I have already "built" your memorial, or "shrine" as I call it. My Buelligan shrine. It's going on tour along B roads up and down the country before finally settling in Languedoc. Just make sure you are hit by a pig transporter somewhere close to Quillan and all will be good.

Doomy Dwyer

Buelligan

Foxtrot Oscars, I always say.

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 28, 2012, 08:19:36 PM
I have already "built" your memorial, or "shrine" as I call it. My Buelligan shrine. It's going on tour along B roads up and down the country before finally settling in Languedoc. Just make sure you are hit by a pig transporter somewhere close to Quillan and all will be good.

You really shouldn't have.

BlodwynPig

Janie Jones

Just saw this on a local newspaper website in an article about a road accident last Tuesday morning in which two young men died on their way to work:

"Tributes at the roadside included flowers, messages, a framed photograph, cigarettes, a can of energy drink, a piece of welding, a bottle of alcohol and a miniature boxing glove."