Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:14:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Don't fuck with the old school

Started by alan nagsworth, February 29, 2012, 08:53:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

"Well, there's nothin' wrong with havin' lots of different suitors. That's the way dating used to be... Back in my mom's day."

Boy I tell ya whut, I work with a gentleman who is steadfast in his oldschoolery. He's mid-60s and is the type who has a boat-load of cash but won't retire until it's required of him. I admire that, but there are various aspects of his personality which leave a lot to be admired by some. This isn't a malicious thing really, especially since in most cases due to the course of the lives lived, you cannot judge how someone from a couple of generations prior thinks or acts. He does try his best to suppress it but there are times when I've had to stop and tell him it's simply not acceptable to use the term 'n**ger brown'. More than once.

He's the type of person who claims to be fervently accepting of alternative lifestyles but still cannot help being slightly derogatory towards, for example, gay people. "I've got nothing against them lot and what they do," he'll say. He looks extremely umcomfortable at ever having to use the words 'gay' or 'lesbian'. He calls garage music "shed music" - in fact he calls all dance music "shed music" - and says it's the type of music where "you know, you take a tablet and go like this: <bobs head up and down like a sedated punk rocker>" He is very straight-down-the-middle and seems to be quite bewildered by anything outside of that line to the point of an obvious yet underlying discomfort. Once, when the banqueting staff were issued new uniforms which included a black waistcoat, he told one of the waitresses that she "looked like a... you know, a lesbian" with a pained expression. Naturally she didn't react well at all and I had to take her aside and explain.

I just think he's a wonderful relic of a generation whose customs are quickly becoming forgotten and I genuinely love working with him. His flaws in the light of modern society are what make him such an interesting person. He has on many occasions told me of his daughter's pet rat who, after it nipped at her once, he took out to his shed and drowned in a bucket of water. Fucking fantastic! It's not just the rat, either: His beloved daschund became very incontinent in her later years and he told me a fair few times that he had come very close to drowning it, and he seriously loved that dog. It's the fact that he felt like he had to do it himself that shows an unflinching stiff upper lip which I find incredible. I can honestly also say that when that dog eventually died, he was a damn sight more upset than when, a couple of years later, his own mother died. This was because the dog loved him back as a faithful pet but his mother was apparently less of a loving person than his father when he was growing up... so, that's that settled then!

Coming from a generation of lazy shitheels who expect the world at their feet and throw a wobbly every time their 3G cops out when they're trying to tweet the name of the fucking pasty they just bought from Gregg's, I for one salute his WWII you-just-bloody-get-on-with-it attitude and think it will honestly be a shame when there is one less of his generation and lifestyle on this mortal earth. Any of you youngins got a similar person in your life whose oldschoolery you fear/revere?

Buelligan

alan nagsworth

Could the author of the TL;DR tag please report to my underpants? There's some spilt milk that needs mopping up. Cunt.

NoSleep

66 isn't even first-year Baby-Boomer. He's a bit young to hold views like that, seeing as he isn't even old enough to have "fought in the war" to then see the country "go to the dogs". He's younger than some hippies.

Dead kate moss

My dear departed Uncle Tony (not my real uncle), grew up poorer than church-mice, 13 siblings, etc. Taught me to draw, built rope swings over precipitous valleys that would have made Tarzan blanche, then got on it with four kids hanging on too... Anyway him, lovely bloke but not too happy when he returned to his cottage in the mid seventies to find a group of hippies had broken in and were claiming 'squatters rights'. He boxed their ears and threw them out on their smelly arses pronto.

He painted pictures, and eventually painted all the walls in his living room as a jungle mural. With a six foot actual spear-holding native on one wall, I suppose it wasn't PC.

All of my real uncles are basically old teddy boys from the 50/60s who turned into good strong family men who could still duff you up even though they are now 70. I'll never be as good as them.

Absorb the anus burn

Yes, a lovely old bloke of Scottish decent (72 now) who had an impoverished childhood and number of family difficulties / tragedies... He's been a friend for fifteen years and I speak to him 3-4 times a week... So fiercely intelligent (self-educated) challenging and witty and compassionate. A free thinker and anchor to loads of men or women. We started talking on a bus and kept in touch, although I was cautious in case it was a soft gay pick up (it wasn't but always secretly wished it was)... He has some values that are unpalatable by modern standards, but can defend his opinions and runs rings around nearly everybody I know.

Hank_Kingsley

Work hard, play hard.

No time for mincers or nancy boys, though they'd never want to cause offence.

Not afraid to call a spade a spade.

Wears a hat, but never indoors.

Doesn't need honour defined for them.

Knows how to treat a woman, never to an orgasm.

Jamie Oliver is fat

Quote from: alan nagsworth on February 29, 2012, 08:53:21 PM
He has on many occasions told me of his daughter's pet rat who, after it nipped at her once, he took out to his shed and drowned in a bucket of water. Fucking fantastic!

Yeah! What a legernd!

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Quote from: NoSleep on February 29, 2012, 11:31:14 PM
66 isn't even first-year Baby-Boomer. He's a bit young to hold views like that, seeing as he isn't even old enough to have "fought in the war" to then see the country "go to the dogs". He's younger than some hippies.

Was going to say, he would have been a throw back even in his 20s. Which is not that uncommon really, im 31 and im still shocked by some of the antiquated views and habits of people at least half my age.

yesitis

my aged uncle murdered two people.

Dead kate moss

People who have pet rats deserve having them drowned. Especially if they have got nippy. Or if they haven't. Fucking rats, Jesus.

Jamie Oliver is fat

Any other types of animal you don't like that we can have drowned for you?

Dead kate moss

Quote from: Jamie Oliver is fat on March 01, 2012, 01:47:22 PM
Any other types of animal you don't like that we can have drowned for you?

Just pet rats, thanks. Well all rats and mice please. Not field mice, the ones that come in your house. When can you get this done by?

Viero_Berlotti

Quote from: NoSleep on February 29, 2012, 11:31:14 PM

Yeah, I was shocked to realise the other day that Gong's Daevid Allen is 74 now. Still performing and recording as well I think. Don't reckon he's ever drowned any rats or dogs though.

NoSleep

Daevid Allen was a bit on the old side; more one of the Beat Generation. He was 35-odd when Gong were in their Trilogy heyday. I'm told he has been known to carry a gun[nb]At least around the time of Planet Gong (late 70's)[/nb].

Buelligan

QuoteIf you were to look back at me as a school kid you'd see a very quiet little church mouse kind of character.

John Lydon is 56.

Jamie Oliver is fat

Quote from: Dead kate moss on March 01, 2012, 01:52:17 PM
Just pet rats, thanks. Well all rats and mice please. Not field mice, the ones that come in your house. When can you get this done by?

Don't you have friends on horseback who could carry out this cull for you?

Dead kate moss

Quote from: Jamie Oliver is fat on March 01, 2012, 05:16:19 PM
Don't you have friends on horseback who could carry out this cull for you?

Why do you assume such a thing? If you mean fox-hunters I'd quite like them drowned in a bucket too please.