Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:59:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

THE PERSECUTION STOPS NOW

Started by Retinend, March 07, 2012, 08:29:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retinend

Santa's Boyfriend

I accept the terms of the

Nice, they've packaged up motivational speakers for another demographic.

Still, better than the alternative, like this toothy slag: http://www.lynnrose.com/index.html

Petey Pate

So it turns out that quiet people who read a lot of books are actually really clever. What a revelation.

Neomod

Can someone sum up in one sentence what TED is?

biggytitbo

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Neomod on March 08, 2012, 11:19:18 AM
Can someone sum up in one sentence what TED is?

An opportunity for people with experience in a particular field to present their ideas.

Quote from: Petey Pate on March 08, 2012, 10:44:14 AM
So it turns out that quiet people who read a lot of books are actually really clever. What a revelation.

That wasn't her point at all. She was criticising the trend towards making everything (including education) into a group activity. That may be incorrect but it doesn't warrant misrepresenting what she said.

Quote from: I accept the terms of the on March 07, 2012, 08:56:15 PM
Nice, they've packaged up motivational speakers for another demographic.

You obviously didn't watch many of the lectures available before offering that opinion.

biggytitbo

You're doing a talk in bollocks soon arent you?

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 08, 2012, 02:32:41 PM
You're doing a talk in bollocks soon arent you?

Yes, and I'm using you as a case study.

thepuffpastryhangman

Still not taking questions from the floor though eh.

thepuffpastryhangman

Quote from: Petey Pate on March 08, 2012, 10:44:14 AM

If they were that clever they'd be out taking drugs and fucking like Dougie Adams said.

Johnny Yesno

Buelligan

I only listened to less than one.  I'm a bit of an introvert myself, fairly partial to the odd bit of reading too but fackin hell!  Couldn't someone less priggish, pedestrian and nervously smug have spoken for us, men (and women) who are islands?  When she started reading out the titles of the books she had in her bag, I had to press STOP.

Quote from: Buelligan on March 08, 2012, 03:11:54 PM
I only listened to less than one.  I'm a bit of an introvert myself, fairly partial to the odd bit of reading too but fackin hell!  Couldn't someone less priggish, pedestrian and nervously smug have spoken for us, men (and women) who are islands?  When she started reading out the titles of the books she had in her bag, I had to press STOP.
All I can say to this is YESSSSSSSSSS (quietly).

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Buelligan on March 08, 2012, 03:11:54 PM

Admittedly, that wasn't one of the better lectures. There's all sorts of great TED talks, though, on things like computer viruses, music, robots and memes, which is why labeling the whole lot as 'motivational talks' shows that Iattot based his opinion on not very much.

Buelligan

Perhaps, when I have recovered my strength sufficiently, I will venture TEDwards again then..

biggytitbo

Is there a TED talk on the best method to have a shit?

Don_Preston

Pythov

Whatever... now feck off and groom a cat factory whilst selling slippers you have woven yourself.

roboko

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 08, 2012, 04:34:50 PM
Is there a TED talk on the best method to have a shit?

No, but there is a TED talk on how to tie your shoes http://www.ted.com/talks/terry_moore_how_to_tie_your_shoes.html

The best way to have a shit is apparently to squat[nb]http://mryoungscholar.wordpress.com/2012/03/02/health-post-7-advantages-of-squatting-while-pooping/[/nb]

TED's alright, loads of really interesting talks but the kind of people who enjoy them/attend them are a bit annoying and it's a bit too pleased with itself at times.

Lyndon

That's a better diagram than the last sitting vs squatting one I saw, I remember controversy that the figure was still clothed in that one, which has been rectified in this one, maybe even taken too far with the removal of skin, skeleton, other organs.

Dark Sky

Does everyone have a croquet hoop around their anal canal?

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on March 08, 2012, 04:16:04 PMThere's all sorts of great TED talks, though, on things like computer viruses, music, robots and memes, which is why labeling the whole lot as 'motivational talks' shows that Iattot based his opinion on not very much.
But I didn't do that at all. Please sort your logic out before telling people off.

Petey Pate

Quote from: Dark Sky on March 08, 2012, 10:47:18 PM
Does everyone have a croquet hoop around their anal canal?
I thought it was a horse shoe.

rudi

No, it's definitely an anal canal.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: I accept the terms of the on March 08, 2012, 10:55:43 PM
But I didn't do that at all. Please sort your logic out before telling people off.

When you said

QuoteNice, they've packaged up motivational speakers for another demographic.

I thought you meant that TED was a forum for motivational speakers. I guess by your reaction that "packaged up" just meant "invited to speak". Apologies for misunderstanding your unusual choice of words.

Dead kate moss

Quote from: rudi on March 08, 2012, 11:59:16 PM
anal canal

Ask these Ted clever-clogs why those words don't rhyme.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth