Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:01:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Death on mountains

Started by RickyGerbail, March 09, 2012, 09:57:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickyGerbail

you can die from Cerebral Edema, lung edema, freezing to death, falling to death, strangled by rope, being pushed against rock face and suffocated because someone has fallen off the cliff and you're attached to that person, rock falling on your head and avalanches.

Replies From View

Quote from: RickyGerbail on March 09, 2012, 09:57:19 AM
rock falling on your head

It's fine - they bounce off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTWHLVBievg

You just die if you fail to wear the fencing mask.

mook

^ that was quite clearly a cliff and you know it.

Replies From View

Rock physics doesn't change whether you're in a mountain or a cliff, lad.  Rocks will bounce off your bonce and that's that.

Natnar

Quote from: RickyGerbail on March 09, 2012, 09:57:19 AM
you can die from Cerebral Edema, lung edema, freezing to death, falling to death, strangled by rope, being pushed against rock face and suffocated because someone has fallen off the cliff and you're attached to that person, rock falling on your head and avalanches.

Maybe going mountain climbing when you're a conjoined twin isn't such a good idea after all.

Replies From View

Actually I'd saying mountaineering with a conjoined twin would be a good idea.  You'd have more purchase with the two of you there clamping away on the mountainside, and there's no danger of one of you becoming suffocated by the weight of the other.

mook

Quote from: Replies From View on March 09, 2012, 10:52:40 AM
Rock physics doesn't change whether you're in a mountain or a cliff, lad.  Rocks will bounce off your bonce and that's that.

you'll be claiming that buildings don't eat planes next.

CaledonianGonzo

It's a little known fact that George Mallory died choking on a peanut not 100 yards from the summit of Mt. Everest.

Replies From View

Quote from: mook on March 09, 2012, 11:04:40 AM
you'll be claiming that buildings don't eat planes next.

Not at all (I mean I won't be claiming that)!

RickyGerbail

you can search for George Mallorys corpse on google.

Buelligan

Don't be so idiotic!  He died long before the internet even existed.

RickyGerbail

some other interesting facts and a speculation about death:

fact: if you fall from say a hundrer meters height, you will only be conscious of perhaps being 6 meters over the ground since the time it takes for the signal from your eyes to the brain takes too long to travel and you will have hit the ground before it reaches the consciousness.

spekulation: it's possible that if consciousness isn't needed for making decisions, a person that decides to shoot themselves in the head won't be consious of this because the bullet will kill them before the decision has been made conscious.

Replies From View

Quote from: RickyGerbail on March 09, 2012, 03:03:22 PM
fact: if you fall from say a hundrer meters height, you will only be conscious of perhaps being 6 meters over the ground since the time it takes for the signal from your eyes to the brain takes too long to travel and you will have hit the ground before it reaches the consciousness.

Is this what people mean by "you'll be dead before you hit the ground"?

Quote from: RickyGerbail on March 09, 2012, 03:03:22 PM
spekulation: it's possible that if consciousness isn't needed for making decisions, a person that decides to shoot themselves in the head won't be consious of this because the bullet will kill them before the decision has been made conscious.

I think if you raised a gun to your head unconsciously and fired it, yes.  But "decision" implies you made a choice, which means consciousness has been involved in the process.

Endicott

Apparently it's possible to post to an internet forum without thinking at all.