Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:23:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The wisest things you've been told

Started by Retinend, March 12, 2012, 08:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retinend

There was an old thread on this topic which was really thought provoking, so why not let's do it again. What have been the most insightful things you have been privileged to hear from friends, relatives, teachers etc?

My friend recently told me that "you shouldn't try to learn too much too quickly" (while teaching me some introductory weights exercises in the gym). This struck me as very wise indeed, and now I think about it whenever I'm impatient to learn something; your mind can only digest so much at once. Try and stuff it full of stuff in insufficient time, and you get brain indigestion.

biggytitbo

Small Man Big Horse

If you're stressed about something, consider if it will affect you in any way in a month / year's time. If the answer is no, stop caring about it. If the answer is yes, make sure you deal with the issue.

Depressed Beyond Tables

You can't forget if you don't forgive.

23 Daves

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on March 12, 2012, 08:19:49 PM
If you're stressed about something, consider if it will affect you in any way in a month / year's time. If the answer is no, stop caring about it. If the answer is yes, make sure you deal with the issue.

This is probably the best advice anyone can be given, and can be applied to a great many problems which seem serious or important.  Certainly, if I hadn't adopted this attitude with my last two jobs, I would probably have been prescribed valium (or, see also: "There are very few work-related problems which can't be calmly resolved within the space of a few emails or phone calls, so just take a deep breath and do the necessary"). 

The mother of a friend of mine also gave me a piece of fantastic advice, although I barely registered it as such at the time.  "You've got so much time.  Your generation will live for longer than mine, and what you don't succeed at doing this year, you can do next year, or the year after.  As long as you really want to achieve it, you will, and if it happens this decade or next, it's not important".  Of course, the time aspect seems less relevant now than it did when I was eighteen, but still, cracking advice.  Far better than my own mother's, which tended to be "Oh my God you've failed an exam OH NOOOOOOO THIS IS TERRIBLE YOU'VE FUCKED UP YOUR LIFE!!!!"

RickyGerbail

"you feel better if you don't do the same things all the time"

- the boston crab.

QDRPHNC

GoochDogHigh5s

Saucer51

The best revenge is living well.

That was advice given to Weekender when he was having neighbour trouble. I think it's sound stuff.

madhair60

"you should freeze to death" ~ a lady, to me, today

Buelligan

An it harm none, do what you will.  I try to live by it.  My mum used to say; if you have to eat an elephant, do it one mouthful at a time.

Ginyard

Quote from: Buelligan on March 12, 2012, 09:15:59 PM
My mum used to say; if you have to eat an elephant, do it one mouthful at a time.

I want to be crude, but I'm going to resist.

Just living is not enough. One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower  -  Hans Christian Anderson. Actually, it might have been Gary Glitter. I'm not sure.

23 Daves

"We are at our best when we are ascending towards something." David Lee Roth. 

Those are quite wise words for a hair-metaller. 

Buelligan

Quote from: Ginyard on March 12, 2012, 09:19:59 PM
I want to be crude, but I'm going to resist.

Just living is not enough. One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower  -  Hans Christian Anderson. Actually, it might have been Gary Glitter. I'm not sure.

Thank you dear Ginyard, I was aware of the possibility. 

Your bon mot reminds me of one I've always loved from the Koran; Bread feeds the body, indeed, but flowers feed also the soul.

biggytitbo

When you're down and troubled, and you need some loving care, try the terrific deals on cheap booze at tesco and soon everything will be OK.

doppelkorn

Measure twice, cut once.

My dad, (in relation to woodworking)

Replies From View

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 12, 2012, 09:28:23 PM
When you're down and troubled, and you need some loving care, try the terrific deals on cheap booze at tesco and soon everything will be OK.

*pats arse twice*

No wait that's...

...what's the Tesco one?

Every little helps!  *pats arse twice (the naked arse)*

biggytitbo

biggytitbo

Squink

"Be nice to the people you meet on the way up, because you'll meet them again on the way down."
    -Lemmy, Motorhead.

mook

Quote from: doppelkorn on March 12, 2012, 09:42:32 PM
Measure twice, cut once.

let your eye be your guide and your arsehole be your plumb bob.

good carpenters and chancers the world over.

biggytitbo

Never let Alan from no23 use your ladder.

Never accept a lift home from Ted Kennedy.

biggytitbo

Flouncer

Quote from: doppelkorn on March 12, 2012, 09:42:32 PM
Measure twice, cut once.

That's a brilliant piece of advice, it's one of my Grandad's classics, although we work with steel. He also says "You can't work in shit, Richard - no fucker can!" He has quite a few pieces of advice that end with that phrase.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

"the best revenge is going apeshit and smashing stuff"

Neil Ogism, 1992.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Saucer51 on March 12, 2012, 08:57:51 PM
The best revenge is living well.

That was advice given to Weekender when he was having neighbour trouble. I think it's sound stuff.

Yep, I'd agree with this. I've done the whole "being bitter and angry and vengeful" at people thing, and all it does is make you feel worse and potentially make the problem bigger. If you focus your energies on getting yourself to a happy place instead of trying to make the other person unhappy, you'll feel a lot better and will likely reap many rewards as a result.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

alan nagsworth

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 12, 2012, 08:08:46 PM
Never trust a man with a small arse.

Even when he's selling you propane and propane accessories?