Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:27:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Louis The Roux's new series

Started by touchingcloth, November 08, 2023, 12:55:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

As my time with Paul Merton drew to a close, I found myself thinking "he doesn't look like that on telly".

jobotic

To be fair I enjoy swimming in the shit sea off the Kent coast but it takes me half an hour to get in its so cold. Doherty just legs it in.

Must be that Ready Crak glow.

Icehaven

They were in France weren't they? Or is it the same sea?

jobotic

Oh were they? I only saw the last five minutes! I assumed.

He did say The English Channel though.

PlanktonSideburns

Could throw a rock in any town or city and hit a more interesting person to interview than Peter Doherty. Would rather hear him talking to any member of the filming crew

sevendaughters

it is interesting to think that the guy from the Libertines who was chainsmoking, doing smack, robbing people, banging models, going twos up on teenagers with his bandmates, having the paps chasing him around, having a top 10 single as a guest feature with his dealer - is now a ghost to himself and all earthly pleasure - but it isn't fun to watch.

Dr Rock

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: sevendaughters on November 21, 2023, 08:47:15 AMit is interesting to think that the guy from the Libertines who was chainsmoking, doing smack, robbing people, banging models, going twos up on teenagers with his bandmates, having the paps chasing him around, having a top 10 single as a guest feature with his dealer - is now a ghost to himself and all earthly pleasure - but it isn't fun to watch.

Basically the life of a scaffolder, but with a period where he was in an indie band. No wonder herzog pretended to be deaf at luch

Red82

That single is brilliant by the way.  For Lovers.

turnstyle

Was never really into the Libertines, but always drove me slightly mad how yer man Pete would wang on about the human condition in the most flowerly language, alluding to some higher call and wanting to be seen as an 'Artist' (with a capital A, thanks), and yet the peak of his achievement was becoming yet another member of an indie landfill band, and not only that, spaffing most of his life away on the brown. Tbf he did also eat that big breakfast that time.

Now to make ends meet and fund his heroin cheese addiction, he's forced to go back on the road with the band and basically play the nostalgia circuit. He's not Keats, he's Rick Witter.

I wasn't totally sold on him cleaning up. The bit where the colourful bloke outside the hotel is asking him if he 'parties' was quite damning. His resolve seemed to last all of 10 seconds. Maybe he was just being polite.

Also, the talk about 'not having long left' didn't seem to gel with the life of someone who has got clean. There was a weird lack of hope for his future. He basically sounds like he's given up and resigned to the fact he's going to die imminently.

Had to look up his age and found that he was born the same year as me. Made me really glad that I've never started a debilitating heroin addiction or slept with Kate Moss. I WOULD eat that big breakfast, though.

paddy72

As we said our goodbyes, I couldn't help wondering what would become of Captain Pugwash.

JaDanketies

In fairness he might just think that alcoholism is going to kill him rather than that he's gonna relapse on heroin. He did appear to be an active alcoholic

Icehaven

Quote from: JaDanketies on November 21, 2023, 11:42:27 AMIn fairness he might just think that alcoholism is going to kill him rather than that he's gonna relapse on heroin. He did appear to be an active alcoholic

Had to laugh at the bit at the start when Doherty jokingly (I think) tried to claim his bottle just contained blackcurrant juice until Louis tried it and it became apparent it was something rather stronger.

scarecrow

I thought this was a bit weird in that it portrayed Doherty as semi-retired, save for the occasional Libertines gig breaking his 'exile from England'. I'm loathe to defend a murderer, but isn't he very prolific - and still sort of popular - as a shite solo act?

Icehaven

Quote from: scarecrow on November 21, 2023, 12:50:51 PMI thought this was a bit weird in that it portrayed Doherty as semi-retired, save for the occasional Libertines gig breaking his 'exile from England'.

I know it's because his wife is French and they live in a house her family owns which just happens to be on the coast by the English channel, but it is quite daft how despite this dramatic "exile" he's still about as close to the UK as you can get without actually being in it (except for Ireland).

Garam

Probably doggy paddles to Jersey every other day to pick up cheap fags

Ray Travez

"So Pete, you've clearly lead a busy life, and yet you still found the time to play Howard Booth in The Bounder"

The Bumlord

Clean your fingernails you awful man.

Doherty, not Louis, who I'm sure is absolutely pristine.

touchingcloth

Joan Collins tonight - that can't fail to be a good interview, right?

Goldentony

feel a bit bad for him having to do the press tour while he has the aura of the villain from a European kids TV show called Mr Pompity Pomp

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: touchingcloth on November 21, 2023, 06:02:24 PMJoan Collins tonight - that can't fail to be a good interview, right?

Odds-on he'll find a coy disingenuous way to ask if she still has sex.

The Bumlord

Joan Collins is still alive??!

Also

As we said our goodbyes, I couldn't help thinking OHHHHH YESSIR I CAN BOOGIE

Enzo

Theroux's career went downhill after reaching the heights of interviewing Lake Palmer.

fuzzyste

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on November 15, 2023, 01:29:59 PMThe presenter of Hot Ones weirds me out. He looks and speaks like a not-quite-human automaton.

I really like the concept of hot ones but it rarely delivers does it? find myself turning it off after 10 minutes quite a lot.

AllisonSays

Quote from: fuzzyste on November 21, 2023, 09:25:31 PMI really like the concept of hot ones but it rarely delivers does it? find myself turning it off after 10 minutes quite a lot.

I feel like it is a contradictory show because it has the premise of breaking down the patina of celebrity by making famous people vulnerable (because they've eaten spicy food), but combined with very soft soap, nothing-y, luvvy questions that don't coax anything interesting from that sort-of vulnerability.

touchingcloth

I've just realised the sketch they had on SNL where Maya Rudolph played Beyoncé being interviewed while eating hot wings was based on a real show. Fucking hell.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

They should do it with progressively stronger shots of alcohol instead. Start off with liqueurs, end on 100% ABV firewater. Extra points for chinning the host. Bonus round: hand sanitiser.

touchingcloth

Or progressively thicker buttplugs.

sevendaughters

Quote from: AllisonSays on November 21, 2023, 09:34:46 PMI feel like it is a contradictory show because it has the premise of breaking down the patina of celebrity by making famous people vulnerable (because they've eaten spicy food), but combined with very soft soap, nothing-y, luvvy questions that don't coax anything interesting from that sort-of vulnerability.

plus by now it (and Chicken Shop Dates) is celebrity, so it is just a continuum of the celebrity-industrial complex. i will watch if they have someone on I like, but yeah. Could a Dick Cavett style show work now? Probably not.