Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:47:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Squid Game: The Challenge

Started by ozziechef, November 26, 2023, 02:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozziechef

Just finished the first half of this series - which is a lot better than expected or deserved to be. In fact I think I've enjoyed it more than Squid Game itself.

Well produced reality TV, with a good level of twists and changes to the initial series.

Been some press about conditions when filming - but for a few doses of Hyperthermia, they've made some good Tv.

Rest of the series drops this week...

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I watched a few minutes of it because I thought it was series 2 of the real thing.

Ja'moke

It's actually a lot better than I was expecting.

I really enjoyed it, there are a couple of contestants who may well churn out future careers on the reality TV circuit. I do like how they build up many contestants, making the eliminations more meaningful.

I like that it doesn't have inane commentary or endless recaps, and that the eliminations are plentiful with fairly little fanfare. Got the cliffhanger, oh OK, one more episode thing nailed.

They really should have made it clear in the first game that they did stop the clock, and contestants had to hold the pose for at least 20 minutes while production got all the camera coverage, etc. Feel bad for the woman who got all the derision about not being able to hold her squat pose, when it appeared she would have had to hold for about 30 seconds max.

I wonder if they had shoddy NDAs, because there are plenty of contestants dropping info on TikTok and the like.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

They can't kill the contestants, but can't they at least hurt them a bit? Electric shocks, maybe give them a bit of a slap, tar and feather them or something? It's not really in the same spirit as the original if there's no personal risk involved.

I'm waiting for The Real The Running Man. Although if it's anything like this, it would be pillows fights and gunge machines instead of death and chainsaws.

mjwilson

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on November 27, 2023, 04:18:02 PMThey can't kill the contestants, but can't they at least hurt them a bit? Electric shocks, maybe give them a bit of a slap, tar and feather them or something? It's not really in the same spirit as the original if there's no personal risk involved.

https://deadline.com/2023/11/squid-game-the-challenge-contestants-threaten-injury-lawsuit-1235635675/

Ja'moke

I can't believe none of them saw
Spoiler alert
the pairs twist coming at the end of Episode 5. They've watched the original show haven't they? As soon as they said get into pairs, I was like, oh yeah, they're going to have to fight against each other. Was shocked none of them cottoned on.
[close]

Enzo

I read somewhere that Wolf from Gladiators is in this. Is it true?

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

He's the guard with the 'W' mask on.

elliszeroed

Only up to episode 5 so far. But the feeling I'm getting is: being a leader is a short-term gain.

179 defo has a target on her back though.

There's dozens of characters left who have had no screen time so far, and don't appear to be in any group. Love 204 who is all "let's regroup, pivot, redirect", he makes me smile.