Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:13:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ghost Story for Christmas

Started by Jerzy Bondov, December 29, 2023, 09:47:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I forgot to mention An Adventure in Space and Time, Gatiss' utterly lovely and heartfelt drama about the origins of Doctor Who. It's a labour of love, just as these ghost stories are, but everything works in AAISAT. It's very well written and directed (Gatiss didn't direct it, admittedly, but his script is great).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/p01kqt9x/an-adventure-in-space-and-time

I daresay you don't even have to be that interested in Doctor Who to enjoy it, as the story Gatiss weaves is so engaging.

George White

His sense of horror feels less GSFC, and more Night Gallery.

druss

Quote from: BlodwynPig on December 30, 2023, 12:50:40 PMDiminishing returns, in my opinion. Their Christmas ones and that Ghostwatch spoof were of a standard, but thin gruel recently. Just get rid of the glossiness, bring back the linger, the space between, the 'intimate loneliness'.
The worst episodes of Inside Number 9 were still better than this.

Maybe not the Brexit one though...

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: druss on December 30, 2023, 03:24:56 PMMaybe not the Brexit one though...

That was one of their best, Reece and Steve howling with rage at the utter fucking horror of everything that's wrong with the little englander mindset (and sniping 'Guardian readers' - Reece's character - who do nothing to actually challenge the status quo).

It's the only political episode of Inside No. 9, and it's like something Peter Richardson and the Comic Strip team would've come up with in a similar state of despair. A weird, angry, funny and utterly unhinged cascade of Fuck You vomit.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: checkoutgirl on December 30, 2023, 08:50:50 AMWhy? Didn't he make a hash of Sherlock as well?

It was hardly a flop though.

magister

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on December 30, 2023, 05:25:52 PMThat was one of their best, Reece and Steve howling with rage at the utter fucking horror of everything that's wrong with the little englander mindset (and sniping 'Guardian readers' - Reece's character - who do nothing to actually challenge the status quo).

It's the only political episode of Inside No. 9, and it's like something Peter Richardson and the Comic Strip team would've come up with in a similar state of despair. A weird, angry, funny and utterly unhinged cascade of Fuck You vomit.

Was that the Last Night of the Proms one? I really liked it - felt very Dennis Potter.

Catalogue Trousers

Quote from: Campbell Soupe on December 30, 2023, 12:52:13 PMI'd defend Gatiss' prerogative to do these (even if I don't think they are that good) simply because, apart from his old pals Steve & Reece, who is attempting anything "spooky" on British TV these days? Genuine question. 

Stephen Volk? Hey, Volk doing some GSFCs...now there's an idea!

Viero_Berlotti

The BBC would do well to give Gatiss a rest from this and hand the baton to Matthew Holness for a few years. 'Possum' is more than enough evidence that he'd hit the ground running.

druss

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on December 30, 2023, 05:25:52 PMThat was one of their best, Reece and Steve howling with rage at the utter fucking horror of everything that's wrong with the little englander mindset (and sniping 'Guardian readers' - Reece's character - who do nothing to actually challenge the status quo).

Glad you liked it, maybe I'll give it another go as first time I thought utter shite.

Minami Minegishi

So, who do we have?

- Ben Wheatley
- Rose Glass
- Matthew Holness

I'm going to add:

- Michaela Coel
- Mark Jenkin
- Prano Bailey-Bond

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Minami Minegishi on December 30, 2023, 09:02:25 PMI'm going to add:

- Michaela Coel
- Mark Jenkin
- Prano Bailey-Bond

Really? Has Coel done any direction other than black comedy? Not sure she could pull off the eerie dread these 'should' have. It'd be more black mirror style gubbins. The other two maybe if they can get the pacing right.

Bad Ambassador

Jenkin would be great, but too weird for BBC Two. Bailey-Bond is a no, as Censor was terrible. St Maud was also crap. Holness would be fucking amazing.

iamcoop

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on December 31, 2023, 01:30:05 AMJenkin would be great, but too weird for BBC Two. Bailey-Bond is a no, as Censor was terrible. St Maud was also crap. Holness would be fucking amazing.

Two insanely bad takes there.

Censor admittedly shits the bed in the last act but how anyone could call St Maud 'crap' is beyond me. 

BlodwynPig

Give it to Giggsy til end of t'season

Two Headed Sex Beast

Maybe he wouldn't have to fight so hard to get them commissioned if they were really good. "Go on BBC, let me make another moderately well received programme". Likewise his Doctor Who episodes were always just fine at best and never had any spark to them.

dontpaintyourteeth

Give us another moderately good ghost story, ya shit

Glyn

It was fine,better than some of the previous ones.

Possibly a stupid point but I don't get the feeling that 'scary' is top of Gattis' list when making these. Having to do it all in half hour doesn't help, but they feel a lot more like nostalgic homages that are fun enough but struggle to truly find a feeling of 'creepy'.

George White

Quote from: Minami Minegishi on December 30, 2023, 09:02:25 PMSo, who do we have?

- Ben Wheatley
- Rose Glass
- Matthew Holness

I'm going to add:

- Michaela Coel
- Mark Jenkin
- Prano Bailey-Bond
Jenkin has expressed interest but apparently the BBC aren't convinced.

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: iamcoop on December 31, 2023, 08:24:44 AMTwo insanely bad takes there.

Censor admittedly shits the bed in the last act but how anyone could call St Maud 'crap' is beyond me. 

I think we are probably getting to the nub of why this would never happen, and why a tedious berk like Gatiss will be handed the keys to James' works.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on December 30, 2023, 05:38:38 PMIt was hardly a flop though.

Yeah suppose so, I was being a bit revisionist. The first 3 series were very highly rated and won loads of awards and got very high viewing figures so if that's making a hash of it, plenty of producers and writers would take that.

I checked out after the second series as the dialogue grated and I got annoyed with Sherlock's modus operandi of telling things about people by looking at crumbs on their lapel or smudged lipstick while the camera swerved about and zoomed in. We get it, he's autistic and annoying.

Andrew Scott was good though.

iamcoop

From the fucked up mind of David Gordon Green - Whistle And I'll Come To You: Beginnings (3D).

First of the reboot quadrilogy, coming Friday 13th December, 2024. (Patrick Wilson as 'the bedsheet')

iamcoop

Quote from: Glyn on December 31, 2023, 10:17:35 AMPossibly a stupid point but I don't get the feeling that 'scary' is top of Gattis' list when making these. Having to do it all in half hour doesn't help, but they feel a lot more like nostalgic homages that are fun enough but struggle to truly find a feeling of 'creepy'.

It's a correct point but the crux of the matter for me.

It's a ghost story - Scary should be at the top of the list, or at least near it. I don't think Jonathan Miller intended to make knock-about romps, which is why they're all bangers. 

Cuellar

I've often thought that Gatiss mistakes faithfulness to the text for spookiness. They're very competent records of the stories, but it feels like they think that's enough. The M R James stories are spooky, therefore if you recreate them on screen the result will be spooky.

Whereas Miller's Whistle And I'll Come To You is happy to mess around with the original to generate spookiness. Horden's uncanny, detached, mumbling Prof is very different to the golfing sportsman in the story and immediately puts you on your guard.

dontpaintyourteeth

someone in the fam once misremembered the title of that and called it "come and I'll whistle at you"

frajer

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on December 31, 2023, 12:53:00 PMsomeone in the fam once misremembered the title of that and called it "come and I'll whistle at you"

I now have a football chant of 'Come and Have a Go if You Think You're Whistle Enough' going round my head.

holyzombiejesus

Gattis seems to want to make 'a ghost story for christmas' rather than anything scary. So long as there's wood panelling, brandies and the BBC costume department gets to raid the Dickens box, it's fait accomplis.

Edit: what Glyn said.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Minami Minegishi on December 31, 2023, 11:22:27 AMI think we are probably getting to the nub of why this would never happen, and why a tedious berk like Gatiss will be handed the keys to James' works.

Yes, sorry, didn't realise this was my fault. St Maud was a very superficial film, with little depth to the characterisation which made it hard to engage with the story and the main character's situation. It felt like it wanted to be about religion, but didn't want to upset anyone who might be religious.

Senior Baiano

That's a bit harsh, but I'd also like to rep for saint maud.

Bad Ambassador? Bad Take-about-films-haver more like

Senior Baiano

<internal monologue> Hehehe, gottim good

George White

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on December 31, 2023, 01:30:05 AMJenkin would be great, but too weird for BBC Two. Bailey-Bond is a no, as Censor was terrible. St Maud was also crap. Holness would be fucking amazing.
Censor lost me with the really unconvincing video shop. Before that, it was 'this is dull', after that, it was 'fuck off'...