Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:42:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ghost Story for Christmas

Started by Jerzy Bondov, December 29, 2023, 09:47:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on December 31, 2023, 02:23:02 PMYes, sorry, didn't realise this was my fault. St Maud was a very superficial film, with little depth to the characterisation which made it hard to engage with the story and the main character's situation. It felt like it wanted to be about religion, but didn't want to upset anyone who might be religious.

I feel really stupid now because I liked it a great deal.

Kankurette

I just watched it for Kit Harington. I am shallow.

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: Minami Minegishi on December 31, 2023, 02:33:01 PMI feel really stupid now because I liked it a great deal.

Don't, it's good.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Minami Minegishi on December 31, 2023, 02:33:01 PMI feel really stupid now because I liked it a great deal.

You should feel stupid, but because of everything else you say and do.

dontpaintyourteeth

My assurances not good enough for you? I've changed my mind now I think it's shit

BlodwynPig

Load of millennials/gen alphas in here.

If you haven't seen 'Beasts', then you cannot comment on horror.

Bad Ambassador

Funny how people who state their opinions as facts can't cope with those who disagree with them doing the same.

dontpaintyourteeth

Catalogue Trousers

Quote from: Minami Minegishi on December 30, 2023, 09:02:25 PMSo, who do we have?

- Ben Wheatley
- Rose Glass
- Matthew Holness

I'm going to add:

- Michaela Coel
- Mark Jenkin
- Prano Bailey-Bond

STEPHEN VOLK

BlodwynPig

Cuellar

Spookiest thing on telly recently was the monster coming up the stairs and the curious night time intruder in Limmy's Homemade Show.

Get him to direct a Robert Aickman or something.

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on December 31, 2023, 03:32:53 PMSTEPHEN VOLK

Good call.

Lee Haven Jones.

Directed The Feast and an episode of that shit Doctor show that I used to watch when Bonnie Langford was in it.

Catalogue Trousers

Campbell Soupe

Quote from: Cuellar on December 31, 2023, 03:58:03 PMGet him to direct a Robert Aickman or something.

Oh yes, was just watching the eighties adaptation of The Hospice on YouTube (the one with Wycliffe Jean). Thought it captured Aickman's queasy weirdness pretty well - the VHS fuzz helps too. It's a shame there's such a paucity of these kinds of things at the moment, and we're reduced to moaning about one half hour a year from Gatiss.  What was the last half decent "horror" anthology? I can only think ITVs Chillers from the mid 90's (produced by GSFCs Lawrence Gordon Clark), surely there's been something since?

BlodwynPig

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Campbell Soupe on December 31, 2023, 05:08:57 PMOh yes, was just watching the eighties adaptation of The Hospice on YouTube (the one with Wycliffe Jean). Thought it captured Aickman's queasy weirdness pretty well - the VHS fuzz helps too. It's a shame there's such a paucity of these kinds of things at the moment, and we're reduced to moaning about one half hour a year from Gatiss.  What was the last half decent "horror" anthology? I can only think ITVs Chillers from the mid 90's (produced by GSFCs Lawrence Gordon Clark), surely there's been something since?

Campbell Soupe

Baby was 1976... fuck, that's as old as me. Nothing since?

iamcoop

The BBC are too scared to make anything other than slop for fear of SUNAK SLAMS 'DISGUSTING' BEEB FOR XMAS SICKO SHOW headlines

Catalogue Trousers

Quote from: Campbell Soupe on December 31, 2023, 05:08:57 PMOh yes, was just watching the eighties adaptation of The Hospice on YouTube (the one with Wycliffe Jean). Thought it captured Aickman's queasy weirdness pretty well - the VHS fuzz helps too. It's a shame there's such a paucity of these kinds of things at the moment, and we're reduced to moaning about one half hour a year from Gatiss.  What was the last half decent "horror" anthology? I can only think ITVs Chillers from the mid 90's (produced by GSFCs Lawrence Gordon Clark), surely there's been something since?

Urban Gothic had the occasional good episode which made it worthwhile...but dear me, even that was very late 90s. Has there really been nothing since? Would it really be so hard to make a new Twilight Zone/Tales Of The Unexpected-type series in the UK - get Stephen Volk, or Kim Newman, or Ramsey Campbell, or me, to host, and just make lots of lovely, scary stories from authors old and new?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Campbell Soupe on December 31, 2023, 05:18:00 PMBaby was 1976... fuck, that's as old as me. Nothing since?

I was also a newborn when baby was born.

Quite a few in the 80s. But its been a while.

BlodwynPig

BlodwynPig

I'd argue you can't have a good horror anthology after 2000 because of 9/11 and everyone acting like a prick and nervous about pushing boundaries. Too polished.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on December 31, 2023, 03:29:16 PMFunny how people who state their opinions as facts can't cope with those who disagree with them doing the same.

And we wouldn't CaBbers to be anything else.

iamcoop

Quote from: BlodwynPig on December 31, 2023, 06:07:52 PMI'd argue you can't have a good horror anthology after 2000 because of 9/11 and everyone acting like a prick and nervous about pushing boundaries. Too polished.

Ah yes, the 11th of September 2000. A seismic day for us all.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: iamcoop on December 31, 2023, 06:14:27 PMAh yes, the 11th of September 2000. A seismic day for us all.

The day the horror died.

lauraxsynthesis

Another vote for Jenkin from me. Do we have to crowdfund it?

BlodwynPig