Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,331
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:46:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Lovecraft investigations: The Haunter of The Dark

Started by Consignia, December 30, 2023, 04:14:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Consignia

Just a topic that's half a heads up, halfw writing some brief thoughts down.

There's the BBC sounds audio drama adaptations of various Lovecraft short stories. They are done as a sort of podcast, with the original conceit of it bring a true crime podcast, but that's fallen away a bit.

Anyway, there's a new adaption out now, a few years after the previous one. It's apparently an adaptation of the Haunter in the Darkness, but I'm not too au fait with Lovecraft in general. It's worth a listen if you've heard the previous ones, but none of them hold a candle to the first one; The Case of Charles Dexter Ward. I think it's problem is they spend too much time on this whole conspiracy nonsense and not enough on the cosmic horror stuff. It's a bit of a victim of the format playing out too much. It does however end with a stinger that they may be adapting the
Spoiler alert
call of cthulu
[close]
next and the implication that they might making the next one a bit more low key.

BlodwynPig

Wow. I was just wikipedia'ing this last night and wondering why it was not mentioned on Cookdandbombd. 'spooky'.

I thought the first one was phenomenal...real chills, especially with the sound design. The second and third were good, but less 'unnerving' (although they had their moments) and more world building - like a cross between Indiana Jones, X-Files, Twilight Zone and Lovecraft (pretty good on surface that, but not perfect in the execution - perhaps due to the breathless narration). After looking through wikipedia, it seems that Julian Simpson has written quite a few wyrd radio dramas, with most of them linking up together (even the non-Lovecraft ones). I guess a 'Pleasant Green' mythos.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_Simpson

Nicola Walker appears in every single one and its all very cosy with husbands and wives littered throughout the acting talent. I guess they all know each other from drama school or something.

I've not had chance to work through the Haunter in the Dark. Keep on falling to sleep and then woken up when something unnerving in the sound design happens.

holyzombiejesus

I like the ones I've heard but would really need to give them all a relisten before starting the new one. Think that's about 40 episodes so doubt it'll happen.