Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:17:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Jeopardy UK with Stephen Fry

Started by Blumf, January 04, 2024, 01:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blumf

Quote from: The Late Satoru Iwata on January 06, 2024, 07:53:58 PMI doubt it has enough oomph to justify its own thread but I saw the Graham Norton Wheel of Fortune today and it feels like these two programmes are destined to be compared but it's night and day.

Yeah, watched Wheel of Fortune, much better than the funeral dirge that is Jeopardy. Proper audience, and Norton carries it well.

McDead

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on January 04, 2024, 12:20:14 PMAnyone know if it was ever explained why Paul O'Grady never hosted Blind Date as Lily Savage?  It'd have improved the show if he'd hosted them 50/50 so in any given week you didn't know which host you were going to get.

Paul O'Grady should have been given the Generation Game. In fact, the BBC should have bent over backwards to secure his services, cos he was both immensely popular and genuinely brilliant.

thr0b

Quote from: McDead on January 06, 2024, 10:05:44 PMPaul O'Grady should have been given the Generation Game. In fact, the BBC should have bent over backwards to secure his services, cos he was both immensely popular and genuinely brilliant.

He did an unbroadcast pilot, I seem to recall. I'd love to see it, if only to see why it didn't go ahead.

madhair60

what is a tedious load of bollocks presented by a cunt

BlodwynPig

It popped up on youtube recommendations, no doubt because google is snooping my cab viewing habits.

Turgid, anachronistic, pointless. Rubbish

dissolute ocelot

There was real desperation and drama over the American version when Alex Trebek died (he definitely proved that hosting a game show is no simple business). Producer Mike Richards was the original choice; at least he understood the show. Unfortunately he wasn't so nice to women, Jews, and Haitians, and was fired for things he had said on his podcast. Mayim Bialik did it for a while alternating with Ken Jennings but was sacked; while there was controversy over her alleged anti-vaccine views and other beliefs, it seems to have been her suppport for the WGA strike that got her booted. All this was covered in incredible detail in US media, like they were choosing the Pope.

All much more exciting than Stephen Fry.

Terry Torpid

I've never seen a second of the show, but I hear the odd bit of trivia on the internet grapevine. It's like a peek into a parallel world. Apparently they got Geordie LaForge to host for a bit.

Auntie Beryl

Prime* have what looks like the entire Pointless archive, so prompted by the disaster that was Jeopardy UK S1E1 I give the first Pointless (2009) a look today.

You wouldn't necessarily have said it would go on to be what it is today. Awkward, overexplanatory, nothing quite fits, no-one has much confidence in what they are saying or doing. That said it ain't as wooden as the Fry Jeopardy.

* already going to hell, thanks

Gurke and Hare

First series of long running game shows very often look weird in retrospect. The first series of Bullseye is similar, but I prefer the jangly piano version of the theme tune they use.

Rolf Lundgren

They're promoting this as the first time it's come to the UK when it's actually the fourth. And if it hasn't worked the previous three times and nothing has changed then why's it going to work this time?

They're banking a lot on Stephen Fry reeling people into this but afternoons on ITV is one of the worst places to put it. The complicated format and too clever for their own good categories aren't going to chime well with audiences used to the very cosy and easy to understand Tipping Point, Tenable, The Chase etc.

As has been mentioned, the fact it's a cultural phenomenon in the US is not down to the format and no reason why it would catch on the same way here. To be fair I think it's a pretty good quiz and is a decent standard. The final round has a strong concept although if the Daily Double is genuine, show us where it is in the board before a contestant chooses it. I just don't think it's that good to deserve four tries on British television if the people have already spoken.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on January 07, 2024, 07:43:29 PMFirst series of long running game shows very often look weird in retrospect. The first series of Bullseye is similar, but I prefer the jangly piano version of the theme tune they use.
Flicking through the channels a few nights ago, and they had what must have been a really early episode of Bullseye, as Jim was explaining the rules to us still. No Tony yet, and you could see why he was an important addition.

The animated pub scene for the opening credits were also very, umm, "of the time".

Quote from: Terry Torpid on January 07, 2024, 01:48:12 PMApparently they got Geordie LaForge to host for a bit.
Yeah, LeVar Burton publicly campaigned to be host after Alex Trebek's death, and there was a petition with almost 300,000 signatures. He was one of the temporary hosts but changed his mind after that (I think also after they'd announced Mike Richards as the new permanent host, which turned out not to be so permanent).

BlodwynPig

Captain Z

Caught a couple of minutes of this on ITV4+2 and it immediately reminded me of the early-days Channel 5 quiz show "100%".

Blumf

Apparently, they tried Richard Madeley initially, before plumping for Fry.

http://www.ukgameshows.com/ukgs/Jeopardy!

McDead

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on January 07, 2024, 09:58:22 PMFlicking through the channels a few nights ago, and they had what must have been a really early episode of Bullseye, as Jim was explaining the rules to us still. No Tony yet, and you could see why he was an important addition.

The animated pub scene for the opening credits were also very, umm, "of the time".

ACTUAL nipples. Extraordinary. Early Bullseye is very dismal indeed, no Tony as you say, horrible set, you can practically hear the wind whistling through at times. However Jim does do a funny bit of business when contestants land in the black, telling them they've won lemon peel, half an onion, a bath tap and the like.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on January 07, 2024, 07:43:29 PMFirst series of long running game shows very often look weird in retrospect. The first series of Bullseye is similar, but I prefer the jangly piano version of the theme tune they use.

Richard Osman's House of Games gets fun when they decided that the contestants should have avatars where only their hair and eyewear is represented. I really really want Matt Lucas to do it, PURELY so I can see what his avatar looks like.

jobotic

Famous Mortimer

The Late Satoru Iwata

Quote from: gilbertharding on January 09, 2024, 09:38:36 AMRichard Osman's House of Games gets fun when they decided that the contestants should have avatars where only their hair and eyewear is represented. I really really want Matt Lucas to do it, PURELY so I can see what his avatar looks like.

Andi Oliver's one was extremely minimalist

gilbertharding

Quote from: The Late Satoru Iwata on January 10, 2024, 03:25:34 AMAndi Oliver's one was extremely minimalist

I can imagine - glasses above eyebrows?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: gilbertharding on January 10, 2024, 12:14:09 PMI can imagine - glasses above eyebrows?

It was talk of the water cooler all week. Event TV! House of Games, Keir Starmer's favourite quiz.

The Late Satoru Iwata

I only remember the arc of her head though I assume glasses too. Copyright fuckery made it impossible to verify on YouTube.

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on January 07, 2024, 09:58:22 PMFlicking through the channels a few nights ago, and they had what must have been a really early episode of Bullseye, as Jim was explaining the rules to us still. No Tony yet, and you could see why he was an important addition.

Been watching the first series of Bullseye on YouTube, prompted by this thread, and my favourite thing is Jim trying to keep score but, because he hasn't got an eye for it, he bends the darts in the board so he can see where they've landed. There can't be a dart with a straight tip by the end of each episode. Super. Smashing. Bent.

superthunderstingcar

Quote from: The Late Satoru Iwata on January 10, 2024, 03:25:34 AMAndi Oliver's one was extremely minimalist
Tom Allen's was practically invisible.

Mobbd

Quote from: Captain Z on January 07, 2024, 11:57:04 PMCaught a couple of minutes of this on ITV4+2 and it immediately reminded me of the early-days Channel 5 quiz show "100%".

Me too. It's how the winner stays on for the next day and also the relentless focus on questions rather than gameplay (spinning the wheel or whatever). I actually like that simplicity.

Oh, Nobody

Quote from: Captain Z on January 07, 2024, 11:57:04 PMCaught a couple of minutes of this on ITV4+2 and it immediately reminded me of the early-days Channel 5 quiz show "100%".

"YES, I WILL!"

jobotic

Yeah I saw one episode and the winner comes back. So then what? How do you win?