Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:50:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

TV nerds: tell me about “public access television”

Started by Mobbd, January 06, 2024, 02:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: boki on January 09, 2024, 11:56:02 AMAnd, of course, there's Weird Al's film UHF - would that have been based on public access or might it have aimed a rung or two higher?
I was going to make a sweeping post about UHF stations, realised I didn't know enough, then gave up about 10% of the way into this Wikipedia page. But.

Take, for instance, KTMA in Minneapolis. It was originally created to broadcast Twins baseball games, but then thanks to one of their producers being a comedy fan, it created "Mystery Science Theater 3000", and some original local wrestling content, among other things. But, most independent UHF stations would just show whatever was cheap - old sitcoms, westerns, public domain movies, and so on. Not a lot of original programming. My vague memory of the movie is that they couldn't afford to pay syndication fees, so had to make their own stuff, but they still had proper studios and an audience and so on.

A long way to say "probably a rung or two higher", sorry.