Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:47:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Sandbaggers

Started by monkfromhavana, January 10, 2024, 03:19:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkfromhavana

Thought there was a dedicated thread to this show, but according to Google there isn't, just mentions in the midst of other threads, so I thought I'd start one.

I'd tried to watch this a few times, but never got past episode 1, but I have recently managed to break through whatever was holding me back and I'm now loving it. I think I was just harbouring a misconception about it, thinking it would have action sequences with spies pissing around in fields in Surrey pretending it was Russia, when in reality it's more like a spy version of Yes, Minister.

Just finished episode 3, which is pretty bleak with the ending and everything and really makes Burnside look like a heartless cunt. Also winced at his remark to his no.2 that even his secretary isn't quite stupid enough to believe some crap idea he was going to have.

It still does feel a little too "stage-y" for me at times, but I can look past that.

What are the other series like after the creator/writer dies? Is there a noticeable downturn in it, but is it still pretty good?

Norton Canes

In terms of average quality per episode, it's pretty much the best television show ever. So much I could say about it, but to do it justice I feel I should watch the entire series over again as I've forgotten so many of the little details that make it so good (and plenty of the big ones, to be honest). 

QuoteI'd tried to watch this a few times, but never got past episode 1, but I have recently managed to break through whatever was holding me back and I'm now loving it. I think I was just harbouring a misconception about it, thinking it would have action sequences with spies pissing around in fields in Surrey pretending it was Russia, when in reality it's more like a spy version of Yes, Minister

Yeah, episode one masquerades as a proper spy drama for a while, in an attempt not to immediately flatten most of the viewers with the series' deso-tier bleakness.

QuoteIt still does feel a little too "stage-y" for me at times, but I can look past that

The interior scenes mostly stick to the studio-bound, multi-camera set-up, as had been the case with TV drama since its inception. Its location filming is better, especially when dreary locations in Leeds double up for Eastern Bloc countries.

QuoteWhat are the other series like after the creator/writer dies? Is there a noticeable downturn in it, but is it still pretty good?

There are only three episodes not written by Ian Mackintosh, in the third and final season. Again I'd have to rewatch, but as I recall, on their own merits a couple aren't bad, but though their respective authors have tried to emulate Mackintosh's tone, none of them quite feel like they fit in the same show. But then, by season three even Mackintosh had written a couple of, by the insanely high standard he'd achieved in the first two seasons, slightly below-par instalments.

But it's all good, and the first two seasons especially are... well, perfect, really.

Norton Canes

Just checked, and sadly the best Sandbaggers site, the long-established Ops Room, is finally just a skeleton of an index page. Ah, hang on... the Wayback Machine has what looks like a pretty comprehensive snapshot.

Beware how much you read about this show before watching it though, because believe me, this is one series you do not want spoilered. 

Norton Canes

Fortunately I 'bagged' the lovely Network DVD box set many years ago

Luckily all episodes seem to be on YouTube

Senior Baiano

This has been on London Live, the occasionally inspired cheap shit channel in the London (and presumably a bit further out) area, about 5 episodes in- earlier this week it was the Gibraltar episode

superthunderstingcar

With a need to introduce all the characters and the series concept without coming across like a 45-minute long dump of exposition, the first episode is easily the weakest single instalment of the first two seasons. When recommending The Sandbaggers, I always encourage people to also watch the second episode before judging it - if it still isn't your cup of tea at that point, fair enough.

As for season three - what Norton Canes said.

monkfromhavana

Watched the Gibraltar one last night and really enjoyed it, but did feel a tiny bit rushed at the end trying to tie everything off. One thing I missed though, why did Caine go to the place where the bloke took a potshot at him?

"A GIRL?!?!?!?!"

reading up on wikipedia, I did enjoy this paragraph deeply.

QuoteThe Sandbaggers was created by Ian Mackintosh, a Scottish former naval officer turned television writer, who had previously achieved success with the acclaimed BBC television series Warship. He wrote all the episodes of the first two series of The Sandbaggers, but in July 1979, during the shooting of the third series, he and his girlfriend—a British Airways stewardess—were declared lost at sea after their single-engined aircraft went missing over the Pacific Ocean near Alaska, following a radioed call for help. Some of the details surrounding their disappearance have caused speculation about what actually occurred, including their stop at an abandoned United States Air Force base and the fact that the plane happened to crash in the one small area that was not covered by either U.S. or Soviet radar.

Senior Baiano

Norton Canes

Don't forget also that a second season script was rejected for contravening the Official Secrets Act.

monkfromhavana

Quite enjoyed the one with the son of a sheikh trying to get SIS to instigate a coup in his country. TBH, I think I'd propose marriage to Diana Keen after a day or so as well.

Watched the one after as well, which I shouldn't have as I was a bit too tired at that point, but was still good. Also altered the mental scorecard (not unfounded after the first few episodes) that SIS operations / spill-over etc actually caused more deaths to their own operatives and citizens than their enemy.