Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:13:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Professional Masterchef The Professionals

Started by Gurke and Hare, November 16, 2022, 11:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurke and Hare

Turnip 8 ways there. Impressive to get such praise for just turnip, but you can't use a ton of honey in a cake and then claim it has no sugar in it. That (Tuesday's show) must have been one of the quicker judging sessions, raw lamb fella never stood a chance which was a shame after his quality skills test. I'm going to make pork chop and butter bean stew at the weekend I reckon.

I like Anna as a judge, she always tries to find a positive.

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on November 16, 2022, 11:29:11 PMTurnip 8 ways there. Impressive to get such praise for just turnip, but you can't use a ton of honey in a cake and then claim it has no sugar in it. That (Tuesday's show) must have been one of the quicker judging sessions, raw lamb fella never stood a chance which was a shame after his quality skills test. I'm going to make pork chop and butter bean stew at the weekend I reckon.

I like Anna as a judge, she always tries to find a positive.

I also like Anna. It's returned to the original balanced judge dynamic (when Michel Roux Jnr was there) of Good Cop, Bad Cop, Gurning Idiot. The problem of the Marcus/Monica era was that it was Bad Cop, Bad Cop, Gurning Idiot. Anna has reintroduced the Good Cop.

Some guy who wouldn't shut up on yesterday, probably a lovely fella but a real pain in the ear. Sadly, he went through.

sevendaughters

I prefer Monica to Anna, but I'd probably rather have Monica and Anna than either with Marcus.

dr beat

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on November 17, 2022, 03:34:25 AMI also like Anna. It's returned to the original balanced judge dynamic (when Michel Roux Jnr was there) of Good Cop, Bad Cop, Gurning Idiot. The problem of the Marcus/Monica era was that it was Bad Cop, Bad Cop, Gurning Idiot. Anna has reintroduced the Good Cop.

I think the problem with Marcus and Monica is that neither of them were never quite sure how to play it, so both played it good-ish cops sometimes, bad cops at others.  But I agree that with Anna the roles are more clearly defined, and thus its good to see the Shit Jedi return fully to the Dark Side.

The Crumb

Do find it amusing when the positive they can find is 'you've made a plate of food'.

Quote from: The Crumb on November 17, 2022, 12:09:50 PMDo find it amusing when the positive they can find is 'you've made a plate of food'.

'It's not come out as you'd wanted it.'

gilbertharding

Anna Haugh gives good 'horrified face' at the skills test.

Jittlebags

Love it when they drone on about treating your ingredients with respect when it's going to splatter out of your arse into the pot in a few hours anyway. That's no way to treat a bit of meat.

The Crumb

'He's boiling the bejezus out of his apricots'

Anna's a great addition.

Gurke and Hare

Why does Egg not get to do the quarter finals? He'll be fuming when he sees Sagar's chocolate orange dessert. Sagar's killing it, easily the strongest so far, he's done everything well including the skills test.

Poobum

Just catching up. Really enjoyed the guy panicking in the skills test and smashing the fuck out of the crab.

dr beat

This week's lot were pretty poor compared to last weeks, but Sagar is definitely one to watch.

beanheadmcginty

The dour Scottish lad who didn't make it was the absolute doppelganger of that "y tho" meme.

Icehaven

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on November 18, 2022, 12:03:28 PMSagar's killing it, easily the strongest so far, he's done everything well including the skills test.

Yep he's one of if not the only one who's not completely cocked up the skills test. Given so many of them seem to know the basics of what they've been asked to do but then make some stupid error it's probably down to nerves and pressure as much as any else. Bit harsh that it's the first thing they ask them to do, and alone so it's all eyes on them too, no wonder they nearly all balls it up.

dr beat

Seemed obvious that the 'supercruise' chef was going to make a mess of things.

Jittlebags

He's used to handling the best ingredients you know.

touchingcloth

Popup cunt in tonight's episode running a place called "Filfy Burger", and the clip showing his place's food was a hamburger with a custard cream stuck into the top bun like a flake in a 99.

Neomod

I'm only up to episode 7 but found it quite a shock that Tasoula, a sous chef with two years michelin experience didn't know how to butcher a pork chop.

Google says Sous Chef is quite high up in the kitchen hierarchy so what gives.

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: touchingcloth on December 01, 2022, 08:25:39 PMPopup cunt in tonight's episode running a place called "Filfy Burger", and the clip showing his place's food was a hamburger with a custard cream stuck into the top bun like a flake in a 99.
this has upset me so much

Icehaven

Sagar all the way, not only has he easily been the most consistently good chef but his casual explanation of how Marcus comes to him in his dreams as the Devil was magnificent.

touchingcloth

Pertwee tonight said that one of the contestants has "consistently impressed the judges with his ingredients-led cookery".

What.

"My style? I only cook with ingredients, me."

I don't know what role the chefs play in coming up with the challenges, but Anna's skill test demonstrations have all looked amazing so far. Puts Marcus to shame.

beanheadmcginty

Just worked out who Nikita looks like. Humphrey Bogart.

dr beat

A likable final three, although its a shame James had a bad day at the office.  Would be happy if any of them won it but I'm rooting for Nikita.

Also, is it me or is James a dead ringer for Dan Skinner aka Angelos Epithemiou/Bosh from House of Fools?

dr beat

Quote from: convulsivespace on December 07, 2022, 01:43:10 AMI don't know what role the chefs play in coming up with the challenges, but Anna's skill test demonstrations have all looked amazing so far. Puts Marcus to shame.

I've always wondered if there is a lot of wastage involved when they demonstrate the skills test.  Do they have multiple takes to get it absolutely right and thus filmable? I remember one skills test had Marcus demonstrating how to fillet a squid, and I had visions of buckets of squid underneath the table, and him getting perfectionist and chucking one away after another in frustration. 

Similarly, when they did the pork chop test in this series, what did they do with all that meat?

gilbertharding

Quote from: touchingcloth on December 06, 2022, 08:28:33 PMPertwee tonight said that one of the contestants has "consistently impressed the judges with his ingredients-led cookery".

What.

"My style? I only cook with ingredients, me."

"...and for the main, I'm doing flour three ways, and an egg."

What happened with them having a late critics round? At this stage they usually go to some fancy restaurant don't they?

Jittlebags

Quote from: dr beat on December 09, 2022, 11:01:58 AMAlso, is it me or is James a dead ringer for Dan Skinner aka Angelos Epithemiou/Bosh from House of Fools?

Sounds like Frank Spencer. Shame he's left though.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: dr beat on December 09, 2022, 11:05:49 AMSimilarly, when they did the pork chop test in this series, what did they do with all that meat?

Marcus takes it home for his dogs.