Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:33:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Traitors

Started by Utter Shit, December 13, 2022, 06:15:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pimhole

Caught up now on iPlayer, v. sad to see

Spoiler alert
Amanda
[close]

go as one of the few non-hysterical, non-drama queens remaining. I don't know how any of them find Wilf even remotely credible, but I guess there are quite a few preening cocks so he doesn't really stand out.

As someone with a touch of the 'tism, it's fascinating to see how little anyone can read anyone else, and how logic and reason give way to dumb popularity contests in the eliminations. It's given me a whole new insight into so-called NTs and how they think they can read people but it's actually just self-delusion. The most satisfying example obviously being

Spoiler alert
magician Tom
[close]

Does anyone else feel like Maddy is a mole for the producers, not as part of the gameplay but it feels like she's being fed things to say or do that will stir the pot. I don't buy her "eee I'm reet thick me - BUT 'APPY" persona at all. Everything she says sounds scripted and delivered by a below-average actor. I doubt this will ever be "revealed".

They will have to change the format radically if it is ever going to work for a second series.

Spoiler alert
new page spoiler twat
[close]

The Roofdog

I've only watched the first couple but the biggest clue seemed to be who the producers held back till last to go into breakfast: it was everyone on the traitors' murder shortlist from the night before. If you're last into the room you're absolutely nailed on to be faithful aren't you? Or did the producers start being a bit cannier with that

notjosh

Quote from: The Roofdog on December 21, 2022, 06:13:03 PMI've only watched the first couple but the biggest clue seemed to be who the producers held back till last to go into breakfast: it was everyone on the traitors' murder shortlist from the night before. If you're last into the room you're absolutely nailed on to be faithful aren't you? Or did the producers start being a bit cannier with that

As far as they know the murder victim has already been revealed to the viewer by the time we get to breakfast. I doubt they're thinking about the narrative construction of episodes with everything else going on. But as Pimhole mentioned, they will have to change things up with series 2 as anyone going in will be studying this series and well aware of the format.

I think the real issues with the format, much as I'm enjoying it, are:
1) The challenges have very little bearing on the main gameplay, with the temptation of a shield generally ignored. There really ought to be some room for covert betrayals/backstabbing in the challenges themselves.

2) I'm not sure there's a good way to play the game as a faithful except to act thick and not be a threat to the traitors. Anyone who shows a glimmer of ability to play the game is promptly murdered, and there's absolutely fuck all you can do about it. As a result, all the vaguely competent people have long since left the game.

Deliciousbass

Started watching it and it's a lot of fun. Highlight so far is the guy vomiting because he was watching other people row a boat.

kalowski

Why the fuck are these idiots crying? Who are these imbeciles? Unless the person they kick out has to make their way to London on foot and so could die of exposure it's a fucking game show. Kick 'em out.

Pimhole

Wednesday night spoiler:
Spoiler alert
Amanda and Andrea in one night? Wilf you absolute fucking psycho
[close]

I wish they would stop saying "I AM 100% FAITHFUL" - you're either faithful or not, nobody is 70% faithful, stop it.

Deliciousbass

Quote from: Pimhole on December 21, 2022, 04:40:05 PMDoes anyone else feel like Maddy is a mole for the producers, not as part of the gameplay but it feels like she's being fed things to say or do that will stir the pot. I don't buy her "eee I'm reet thick me - BUT 'APPY" persona at all. Everything she says sounds scripted and delivered by a below-average actor. I doubt this will ever be "revealed".

Pretty sure it's Julia Davis.

Magician pink haired guy sounds exactly like James Acaster and all.

Snrub

What a bizzare final five people remaining.

Ja'moke

I like the final twist of letting the players decide to end the game when they think there are no more traitors left. That's different from the Aussie version, where they just kept banishing until it got down to a Final 2.

Blinder Data

Getting rid of the calming influences of Amanda and Andrea, plus getting close the final, turns them all into squabbling children. Love it! It says something about the fraught atmosphere and their ineffective decision-making that pretty much all of them agreed that the other Traitor was likely to be a man - and then they voted for Maddy/Meryl.

Quote from: Ja'moke on December 21, 2022, 11:18:40 PMI like the final twist of letting the players decide to end the game when they think there are no more traitors left. That's different from the Aussie version, where they just kept banishing until it got down to a Final 2.

Again, the producers stepping in to help the crap faithfuls. No one seemed to notice that Winkelman was hinting there was more than one.

It means Wilfred and Kieran can't win it together now. If they vote off Aaron first, it will reveal a Traitor is still there so they'll just keep going. Wilfred and Kieran will then have to try to convince that the other is the likeliest (only) Traitor. Wilfred's chances are looking pretty good - Hannah's face is going to be a picture...

(I wonder though, if tensions are running high and it looks like Kieran is about to be voted off, what's to stop him from telling the rest out of spite that he was co-opted as a Traitor by Wilfred and they should vote him off next?)

Utter Shit

Quote from: Blinder Data on December 22, 2022, 12:08:07 PM(I wonder though, if tensions are running high and it looks like Kieran is about to be voted off, what's to stop him from telling the rest out of spite that he was co-opted as a Traitor by Wilfred and they should vote him off next?)

This occurred to me when Amanda went, but I imagine they are contractually bound not to. I wouldn't be surprised if he was allowed to 'reveal' that Wilf is a traitor and tried to recruit him but claim that he turned it down, but I'm not sure if he would be believed.

Utter Shit

Also - not sure if it's ever been done before on here, but forums are actually a surrpisingly good platform for Mafia games. I played a few times on another forum and it was good fun - it needs a dedicated'host' to oversee everything (not something I could do as I haven't got much experience of how it all works) but if someone was willing and able it might be a laugh to set up a thread on here.

seepage

^ there was a Mafia game thread on here a while back, maybe in GB.

BlodwynPig

Pimhole

Quote from: Blinder Data on December 22, 2022, 12:08:07 PM(I wonder though, if tensions are running high and it looks like Kieran is about to be voted off, what's to stop him from telling the rest out of spite that he was co-opted as a Traitor by Wilfred and they should vote him off next?)

I wondered this so went back to ep 1 to see what oath they took. They have to swear not to reveal themselves OR their fellow traitors. Surprised they didn't show Kieran taking the same oath really, to remind the viewers.

seepage

Quote from: dbs on December 22, 2022, 01:19:42 PMTurns out Kieran is a prick - https://www.youtube.com/@kierantompsett3161

I could tell that without looking at YouTube. They say they are a 'Solutions Consultant' or something. I don't think I'd want them solving anything for me.

Alberon

Quote from: Blinder Data on December 22, 2022, 12:08:07 PMIt means Wilfred and Kieran can't win it together now. If they vote off Aaron first, it will reveal a Traitor is still there so they'll just keep going. Wilfred and Kieran will then have to try to convince that the other is the likeliest (only) Traitor. Wilfred's chances are looking pretty good - Hannah's face is going to be a picture...

It depends if those banished tonight reveal straight away if they're a traitor. It would make sense to keep back the reveal until the remaining contestants decide to stop.

Otherwise they'll just barrel on until they get at least one traitor out and the tension won't be as high.

JesusAndYourBush

The one that was offered the decision of leaving the game or becoming a traitor - surely it was a no-brainer - of course you're going to stay.  It'd have been better to say you're leaving (but given a sum of money) or become a traitor.  Then he'd have to weigh up whether it was better to take the smaller sum or gamble that he was going to win.

EDIT:  A bit cheeky using Ant & Dec's 'Cyclone' music during the boat bit.

C_Larence

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on December 22, 2022, 09:07:53 PMEDIT:  A bit cheeky using Ant & Dec's 'Cyclone' music during the boat bit.

Not sure if we're talking about the same song, but the Nathan For You theme tune featured heavily during the boat section too!

Ja'moke

Wilf got screwed there. Kieran shouldn't have been allowed to drop hints like that.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: C_Larence on December 22, 2022, 10:01:23 PMNot sure if we're talking about the same song, but the Nathan For You theme tune featured heavily during the boat section too!

Never seen it. Just listened, yes it's the same tune.  I'm a celeb has been going a lot longer.  It's probably a bit of royalty free/library music.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Ja'moke on December 22, 2022, 10:04:14 PMWilf got screwed there. Kieran shouldn't have been allowed to drop hints like that.

He was saying all sorts of weird shit.  He couldn't handle having the role thrust upon him so late in the game.

Ja'moke

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on December 22, 2022, 10:09:02 PMHe was saying all sorts of weird shit.  He couldn't handle having the role thrust upon him so late in the game.

Voting Wilf and then saying "This is a parting gift" was essentially saying "Here's the other traitor" and I hope he had his stipend taken away, haha. It's surely within the rules that the traitors can't out each other.

International version spoilers...

Spoiler alert
I'm pretty sure this is one of only a couple of times the faithful have won across multiple international versions, where it's almost always a traitor that wins.
[close]

JesusAndYourBush

I didn't see the first few episodes, were they made aware of how many traitors there were?

Ja'moke

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on December 22, 2022, 10:20:55 PMI didn't see the first few episodes, were they made aware of how many traitors there were?

I don't believe so.

Snrub

Think Keiran played it perfectly to be honest given he knew he was a gonner. Without a doubt there will be specific rules you can and can't say about outing other traitors so presumably he stuck to them but the biggest clue to the remaining faithfuls is why did he give up the fight so easily if he was genuinely the last remaining Traitor.

If they had anything about them they should have then been able to vote Wilf our using Keirans voting intention whether he had said something cryptic or not.

I did go into the last episode wanting Wilf to win but he did bring the betrayal on himself - and he panicked big time. If he'd kept his cool and said Keiran was fucking with them cos he knew it was game over he might have had a chance considering the other three seemed to love him

JesusAndYourBush

Wilf blew it with his over the top behaviour.  He should have brought up the conversation he had with Meryl and Hannah when he was talking about Kieran and Kieran walked in and Meryl quickly changed to talking about Aaron but you could tell Kieran wasn't buying it, and of course that's why Kieran turned on him. If he'd have said that and kept his cool things might have ended differently.

Utter Shit

I don't agree at all, I think he played it  pretty well in getting so upset...isn't that exactly what you would expect a Faithful to do if they were thrown under the bus like that, so close to the prize? The problem was, Kieran had *no* reason to put him in the shit, so the only logical explanation was that Wilf was also a Traitor. Once Kieran announced it as a parting gift, I don't think there was any approach that Wilf could have uses to save himself. His fate was sealed.

Easy to say in hindsight, but I think Wilf would have had a better chance of surviving any potential stitch-up if he'd sewn the seeds of an issue between him and Kieran before he started plotting against him. He had nothing to point to as an alternative explanation for Kieran doing that,

iamcoop

Absolute fiddle from producers though, to allow him to basically tell them all Wilf was a traitor as well.

Presumably it wasn't allowed when traitors turned on each other previously (Alyssa didn't say "you'll get yours soon mate" to Wilf at the table when he fucked her over, for example) so it seems mad they'd allow Kieran to completely fuck it for Wilf. He'd have won that otherwise.

Produced within an inch of its life but fun TV. I just wish they'd have allowed Wilf to win just to cause the argument to end all arguments at the end. Aaron probably would've decked him.