Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:58:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Traitors

Started by Utter Shit, December 13, 2022, 06:15:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ja'moke

I guess the producers couldn't exactly do much after Kieran said that, though. If they stopped filming and said, "Hey, come on mate, knock that off," it'd be even more obvious Wilf was a traitor.

They should have just made it clear before that final round table that the traitors are not allowed to reveal each other under any circumstance.

I saw some on Twitter saying, "Well, Wilf threw the other traitors under the bus, yada yada."

But that was different. Wilf threw the other traitors under the bus under the guise of a faithful, using evidence that everyone had access too. For example, the way he turned on Amanda was by bringing up the "she turned on Theo" stuff, planting seeds and then letting others run with it.

Kieran didn't do that. He basically was a spoilsport because he got outplayed, gave up, and revealed Wilf was the other traitor, knowing he was about to reveal himself as a traitor so would obviously have that information.

ozziechef

Wilf's mistake was choosing Kieran. If he had chosen Hannah as the next Traitor, then the Traitors would have won - they could have ousted Kieran and Aaron - and no way would Meryl have voted for them. 

brat-sampson

Quote from: ozziechef on December 23, 2022, 07:50:52 AMWilf's mistake was choosing Kieran. If he had chosen Hannah as the next Traitor, then the Traitors would have won - they could have ousted Kieran and Aaron - and no way would Meryl have voted for them. 

Yeah, but then he would've had to split the money, and it seemed like Wilf was truly only in it for himself whenever he put on his traitor cloak.

Utter Shit

I think the way the final was structured, there could only realistically be one Traitor winner - if they'd got rid of a Faithful to whittle it down to four, when they revealed they were a Faithful the other remaining Faithfuls (Aaron and Meryl) would have known there was still a Traitor among them (regardless of whether they suspected there were two) and would have chosen to continue the banishments until a Traitor was gone.

I suppose Kieran and Wilf could have worked to convince one of the remaining Faithfuls that it was the other one, at which point they would then be able to banish the final remaining Faithful and split the prize...but from Wilf's point of view that would be a much more dangerous plan than just going for Kieran and trusting that you could convince the others you were a Faithful when they already believed you were.

Utter Shit

As far as I can see there doesn't seem to be any I'm A Celebrity-style 'fallout' show where we get to see how they all interact with each other outside of the game environment knowing how it ended. That's a real shame if there is no plan for it, as it seems perfect for that sort of analysis.

I actually think, based on the relative lack of promotion, that the huge success of the show was unexpected. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up a behemoth like The Apprentice, with a sister show analysing the main show each week and interviewing the murdered/banished contestants.

iamcoop

Quote from: Utter Shit on December 23, 2022, 09:17:52 AMAs far as I can see there doesn't seem to be any I'm A Celebrity-style 'fallout' show where we get to see how they all interact with each other outside of the game environment knowing how it ended. That's a real shame if there is no plan for it, as it seems perfect for that sort of analysis.

I actually think, based on the relative lack of promotion, that the huge success of the show was unexpected. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up a behemoth like The Apprentice, with a sister show analysing the main show each week and interviewing the murdered/banished contestants.

Yeah, me and my partner were wondering why they weren't milking the shit out of it. I'd expect the next series will have some "Traitors Extra Unleashed" type programme after each episode with a panel of awful celebrities and whoever's just left etc.

seepage

According to Board Game Geek, Werewolf/Mafia aka Are You A Werewolf? dates back to 1986. I thought it was much more recent. 

Rolf Lundgren

Loved the show but the finale was very disappointing. Of the three that won the money, Hannah and Aaron only figured it out when Kieran practically told them everything and Meryl still wasn't getting it. Wilf left them in because they were the most gullible. It felt like a massive bending of the rules to let Kieran say what he did. Wilf went too far in trying to get the money for himself and sort of deserved to lose but not like that. For him to walk away with no money while the rest get 30 grand feels very harsh.

It makes me wonder how they would police it though if somebody did go rogue. For example if Alyssa when she was voted out gave the game away, what would the producers do? Start again with new traitors?

Agree that the tasks were largely rubbish. It should have been that the Traitors pile of money went up whenever they failed, then you could have arguments about people doing badly on purpose to benefit the Traitors.

Either way, for a show that was about 50% filler it was still one of my favourite shows of the year. Would love to see a few tweaks but the premise is really strong.

Blinder Data

the finale was brilliant telly. I think it was difficult for Wilf, but he probably got cocky thinking he could knife Kieran without consequences. If he didn't organise against him behind his back and voted for someone else, the others might have banished Kieran anyway without him deciding to leave the fateful "parting gift". It would've been risky to refrain from sticking your oar in and try to manage the outcome, but that would've reduced the chances of Kieran taking Wilf with him if he got voted out.

I think Wilf lost something as the traitors were reduced. his choice of finalists were basically his best mates in it, so inevitably it was close to impossible to do the final dirty on them. if he kept more suspicious "rivals" for the finale and they weren't such a tight group, the betrayal would've been easier. as he said, he essentially picked who he wanted to win it!

I've seen some criticism of Kieran and Wilf for somehow being too traitorous or breaking the rules, but I think that's silly - everything that happened was within the spirit of the game. poor guys must be getting battered on social media. Wilfred effectively carried the show so deserves a lot of credit.

can't wait for next year. hopefully the contestants will be fans of the show and be ready to play the game to its full, instead of thinking it's a jolly to make forever friends.

Ja'moke

There's already talk of a celebrity version. Please, no. Part of the reason this was so good was that it was a diverse bunch of every day folk.

iamcoop

Quote from: Ja'moke on December 24, 2022, 12:09:56 AMThere's already talk of a celebrity version. Please, no. Part of the reason this was so good was that it was a diverse bunch of every day folk.

Hmmm I dunno. If they could get absolute twats like David Van Day in to go into full on berserker mode it could make for some amazing viewing.

Ja'moke

I prefer the idea of re-using the same cast from Season 1 but with different traitors.

Jasha

Tony Livsey's still fuming

DrGreggles

Gave this a whirl today.
CaB mafia game + pointless tasks + shit music + bells and whistles

Not for me, Clive.

imitationleather

I skipped the tasks every episode and it made it a very watchable programme. Was a bit gutted Wilf didn't win.

Next series either ditch the tasks or copy The Mole and have it so the Traitors are trying to sabotage them and it will be a far better show.

MrMrs

right

why did Alex not become a traitor

honestly

thick cunt

poo

This is one of those things I've decided is absolutely shite without knowing anything about it

DrGreggles

Quote from: BlodwynPig on December 22, 2022, 01:31:38 PMKILL CERYS

NIGHTFALL

Lockdown 1?

Great fun anyway - even though I didn't really understand the rules until the third one...

Minami Minegishi

Just watched this and really cannot believe nobody is comparing this very unfavourably with The Mole which got so many of these issues right. The tasks I completely skipped because there was no tangible insight or any threat to the traitors. The Mole's main tension came from the audience trying to work out who was fucking up tasks just like the contestants were.

However, knowing who the traitors were did give it an interesting drama. I felt pretty let-down by the lack of interest in the dynamics of the show with contestants saying at the start that they would love to be traitors, and then stating that they couldn't do it, or literally rejecting the option. I don't watch reality shows so I don't know if this imbecilic crying and "I love you guys that I have known for 48-hours" is normal or not.

But all this is why I VERY much wanted to see Wilf win, to see the look on Hannah's face mainly. As mentioned, it's hard to imagine the Producers were happy with Kieran blowing the lid off the gaff, unless they deliberately manipulated that ending because it seemed like Wilf fully had the game in the bag.

The editing, music and drone filming on this show made me want to set fire to my house.

MrMrs

i will never understand why Alex didn't become a traitor

Utter Shit

Quote from: Minami Minegishi on December 27, 2022, 09:47:56 PMJust watched this and really cannot believe nobody is comparing this very unfavourably with The Mole which got so many of these issues right. The tasks I completely skipped because there was no tangible insight or any threat to the traitors. The Mole's main tension came from the audience trying to work out who was fucking up tasks just like the contestants were.

However, knowing who the traitors were did give it an interesting drama. I felt pretty let-down by the lack of interest in the dynamics of the show with contestants saying at the start that they would love to be traitors, and then stating that they couldn't do it, or literally rejecting the option. I don't watch reality shows so I don't know if this imbecilic crying and "I love you guys that I have known for 48-hours" is normal or not.

But all this is why I VERY much wanted to see Wilf win, to see the look on Hannah's face mainly. As mentioned, it's hard to imagine the Producers were happy with Kieran blowing the lid off the gaff, unless they deliberately manipulated that ending because it seemed like Wilf fully had the game in the bag.

The editing, music and drone filming on this show made me want to set fire to my house.

Yeah I definitely (100%) wanted Wilf to win specifically because of Hannah, who was an irritating and obnoxious presence throughout.

I have to say I thought it showed the dynamics really well, with the traitors visibly struggling with what they had to do and the faithfuls genuinely angry at being lied to. They did a really good job of blurring the line between the game, which encouraged lying and mistrust, and the real, legitimate bonds that people were making with each other.

There's an American version of this coming but it looks shite.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: Utter Shit on January 03, 2023, 03:58:32 PMThere's an American version of this coming but it looks shite.

Interesting twist for them to use AI generated contestants though

Ja'moke

The American version has Cirie from Survivor on it, though, one of the best Survivor players ever. So that should at least make it worthwhile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6XWaGRKMJo

Ja'moke

The full season of the US version is going up on BBC iPlayer tomorrow.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Minami Minegishi on December 27, 2022, 09:47:56 PMJust watched this and really cannot believe nobody is comparing this very unfavourably with The Mole which got so many of these issues right.
I was just going to say something similar, but in a sort of jokey style as I've not seen a single second of The Traitors. But The Mole is available in all its Channel 5 2001 glory on Youtube:

centristmelt

You could say that, unlike The Mole, because the audience is aware of the Traitors from the start, it's an intrinsically different show. Would be interesting to see the Traitors have some incentive to jeopardise the prize tasks though.

Ja'moke

US season spoilers:

Spoiler alert
That ending was very intense!
[close]

Seen a few Twitter comments of "The Americans are so OTT compared to our quaint British version." Are they forgetting that two episodes into the UK one we had someone breaking down in tears and walking out and by episode four they were all screaming at each other over breakfast?

They're all OTT!

WhoMe

Just finished the Aus one.
Spoiler alert
Craig had a rough old time towards the end of this didn't he? First his new best mate Nigel turns out to be a turncoat, then he falls for Alex's doe eyed act, votes out Lewis and condemns himself to the role of a pawn between two traitors. And it turns out the prize money would've helped his severely disabled daughter. I wonder if the producers decided not to go into that backstory knowing how the series turned out. He looked bloody heartbroken when he realised Alex had had him on, too late.
Lastly, Paul being almost entirely editted out of the show despite being in it for about 8 episodes was bloody weird. Something's gone on there surely.
[close]
Anyway, will probably get into the US version but maybe give it a week to avoid burnout of the format. It is fun though.

Ja'moke

That's just typical Australian reality tv editing. Australian Survivor is terrible for that too. They dedicate 90% of the air-time to a small handful of characters, where others don't end up getting screen time til their boot episode.

DrGreggles

Interesting that at the start of the US version
Spoiler alert
they make it clear that the traitors can't out each other.
[close]

Given that it was pretty much identical to the UK version,
Spoiler alert
I wonder if the UK producers cut that line after matey boy's tantrum in the final.
[close]