Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:18:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stephen King's IT/IT Remake

Started by Goldentony, August 28, 2012, 09:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I thought that the vision of a sun-dappled, diseased Reaganite small town was pretty well rendered and may have been the most interesting thing about the film.

colacentral

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 22, 2017, 07:48:07 PM
I think sometimes you just have to let the next generation have their horror thing. All the horror tropes have been in place for years. They work. They get updated, made more extreme, get subverted but it's still the same seven tricks.  I presume the magic number 'seven' because that's apparently how many storylines and types of jokes there are. 

I'm glad this It has done well. I think it delivered the goods. It's not Psycho (1960) or The Exorcist (1973) or An American Werewolf In London (1981) but it's a good solid scary popcorn munching movie in the vein of Poltergeist (1983) and  A Nightmare On Elm Street (1984) and there ain't anything wrong with that.

It was more like Goosebumps (2015).

Custard

What did you think of the kids, colacentral?

Quite interesting how divisive this film is. I still can't stop thinking about it, and its easily in my films of the year list

Dunno if it's been mentioned, but the home release will be an extended director's cut, so it will be interesting to see what they cut for the cinema

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: colacentral on September 24, 2017, 02:32:34 AM
Is that a serious question?

Yes, because I wouldn't pay good money to sit in a cinema with my arms folded to watch something I'm expecting not to like. I don't think I'd even bother watching something like that a year later on Netflix. Don't see the point. Especially if I thought the original adaptation was horrendous too.

Ultimately, it's only a dumb horror movie about a clown with a bad case of hypodontia.

colacentral

Quote from: Shameless Custard on September 24, 2017, 08:46:27 AM
What did you think of the kids, colacentral?

Quite interesting how divisive this film is. I still can't stop thinking about it, and its easily in my films of the year list

Dunno if it's been mentioned, but the home release will be an extended director's cut, so it will be interesting to see what they cut for the cinema

Like I said, I did like the cast, I honestly wouldn't criticise any of them, and some of the dialogue was okay. They're in a film that is bad on almost every other level though.

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 24, 2017, 11:05:33 AM
Ultimately, it's only a dumb horror movie about a clown with a bad case of hypodontia.

I agree with this review.

Brundle-Fly

Perhaps it would have been served better as another miniseries, but i suppose Stranger Things fulfils this role?

Shaky

I'm pretty sure no-one in the cinema got the New Kids On The Block references apart from me. Absolute silence throughout. Made me feel a bit sad, that did.

I did however spy some young buck explaining to his ladyfriend about Molly Ringwald, after giving an annoying chirrup of recognition.

LanceUppercut

Really I thought it pissed over the first film better storytelling,scary at times brilliant acting by the young cast, I thought Pennywise was good, he was obviously never going to live up to Curry, but I thought he did a brilliant job.

I'm really looking forward to the second part.

Honestly I went into the cinema expecting to hate this and was first in line to shoot it down, but I really liked it.

Some silly parts as there always is but very few and far between.

Head Gardener

Repeater

Custard

Variety saying the sequel is due September 2019

When the kids will be 34

alan nagsworth

Weighing in on this late to the game because I'm bored.

It wasn't a bad film, but it was a bad horror film. Just not scary in the slightest, and a couple of times even shit to the point of being embarrassingly amusing (the bit where Pennywise does that fucking dance). A bunch of people in the cinema laughed at that. The rock throwing scene was absolute garbage. Cringeworthy, in fact.

Pennywise was alright during the dialogue parts but as a scary character it did nowt for me. The kids are obviously the best bit about it, and I think at least that the impact of channelling a child's fears through psychological "monster under the bed" weirdness is not lost in this film. It does have that going for it.

It could have been a much better film with more of a dark brooding atmosphere and without relying on CGI and crowbarred-in jump scares but this is a blockbuster horror so you've got no chance there have you? So, yeah... probably 6.5/10 from me.

ASFTSN

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 22, 2017, 07:48:07 PM
I think sometimes you just have to let the next generation have their horror thing.

I think I agree with this.  Saw IT yesterday and thought it was pretty good.  My expectations were very low though.  The horror in it is extremely mild, Stephen King's novel has a constant undercurrent of pure dread and this didn't have that (I hate the three Scary/A Bit Scary/Not Scary At All doors - that really was Goosebumps). 

In my opinion you can't make a proper IT film that's rated a 15.  The sexual aspect of certain parts of the original were pretty important as another barrier between the world of kids and adults.  The Leper is far more scary when it's telling Eddie he'll blow him for a dime - a combination of a childs fear of infection, vagrants, and sex and all that's supposed to go on at the Niebolt house.

Overall I felt like I was watching it on fast-forward though - it's obviously been made to placate people that have read the book.  Each scene felt like it was ticking off another section of the novel.  While I liked this in a way because I'm one of those people that moan about bits being left out of the book, it didn't always make sense and felt like some bits had been left on the cutting room floor.  Why does Pennywise say "beep-beep" to Richie Tozier when in the film no-one says it to him?  I'm pretty sure Pennywise turns into The Mummy for a bit at the end there too, even though Ben's (?) fear of that from the book hasn't been mentioned elsewhere.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: alan nagsworth on September 29, 2017, 12:04:24 AM
Weighing in on this late to the game because I'm bored.

It wasn't a bad film, but it was a bad horror film. Just not scary in the slightest, and a couple of times even shit to the point of being embarrassingly amusing (the bit where Pennywise does that fucking dance). A bunch of people in the cinema laughed at that. The rock throwing scene was absolute garbage. Cringeworthy, in fact.

Pennywise was alright during the dialogue parts but as a scary character it did nowt for me. The kids are obviously the best bit about it, and I think at least that the impact of channelling a child's fears through psychological "monster under the bed" weirdness is not lost in this film. It does have that going for it.

It could have been a much better film with more of a dark brooding atmosphere and without relying on CGI and crowbarred-in jump scares but this is a blockbuster horror so you've got no chance there have you? So, yeah... probably 6.5/10 from me.

You pretty much sum up my thoughts on the movie there, though for me it's 6/10 at the very most. I might have been even harsher but I've just bought one of those Odeon Limitless memberships so hopefully it'll only cost me £4 - £5 in the end.

Can't believe the fat kid didn't get the girl at the end too. I mean I know that never happens, but in this case he did all the research and discovered the 27 year thing, and then worked out how to save Bev's life right at the end, and despite all that she ended up with mopey dull Bill despite their being no chemistry between them.

Glebe

I actually saw this last Saturday, so here's my belated opinion... BEWARE SPOILERS cos I find the white font annoying...

Went to see it with a group of friends for a change, so that maybe gave it a different buzz for me. I've not read the book, and I can't remember much of the mini-series (other than Tim Curry being great, and all the catchphrases, and there being a giant, rubber spider at the end that everyone hated) but I enjoyed it, and while I accept that it probably relied a bit too much on 'modern'-style jump scares (a girl behind us brought the house down a couple of times) and agree with Shay Chaise that the finale was a bit of a let-down, I thought it was fine overall, in fact really impressive in stretches.

I thought Skarsgard did a decent job with Pennywise... yes, he has less personality than the mini-series version, but it was always going to be difficult following up Curry's performance. The young cast are generally great, particularly, as others have said, Sophie Lillis, who is remarkably assured as Bev. The Spielbergian atmosphere and cosy, small-town setting also won me over, couldn't help feeling extreme nostalgia (especially since I was watching it with a few people I've known his early childhood) for the film posters, Batman etc. on at the theatres and '80s metal T-shirts and that (plus one of my fave Cure songs!).

So yeah, it's no masterpiece, but I think some of the criticisms here have been a little harsh.

saltysnacks

One thing I noticed when watching this film is that I no longer find horror films scary, at all. It is a little annoying, as I was once a sensitive child who was too scared of horror films to even watch them. Now that I'm a big boy I am totally unaffected by them. I never experienced the thrill of watching a scary horror film at the right age.

Are there any films that are genuinely scary at any age? I still find The Exorcist a little unnerving, but watching it about 20 times has dulled its effect a little.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: saltysnacks on September 30, 2017, 12:44:39 PM
One thing I noticed when watching this film is that I no longer find horror films scary, at all. It is a little annoying, as I was once a sensitive child who was too scared of horror films to even watch them. Now that I'm a big boy I am totally unaffected by them. I never experienced the thrill of watching a scary horror film at the right age.

Are there any films that are genuinely scary at any age? I still find The Exorcist a little unnerving, but watching it about 20 times has dulled its effect a little.

I'm the same when it comes to supernatural horror films, but the more realistic ones can still disturb me, like Eden Lake which is a deeply unpleasant bastard of a film.

saltysnacks

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 30, 2017, 01:08:35 PM
I'm the same when it comes to supernatural horror films, but the more realistic ones can still disturb me, like Eden Lake which is a deeply unpleasant bastard of a film.

Thanks, I'll give that a watch.

thraxx

I too suffer from this. Even the library scene at the beginning of Ghostbusters shit me up so much that i had to turn it off. Even the incredible hulk series and The Invaders were too much for me. Yes The Exorcist is still unnerving but everything else is just without effect on me in my adult life.

Then earlier on this year I watched the documentary The Nightmare about sleep paralysis and it fucking scared the living bejesus out of me. Scariest thing since reading Salem's Lot at 12 years old. I had to sleep down stairs with the light on after watching that doc and my skin is crawling even typing this. I am 40 years old.

So yeah, watch The Nightmare in the dark in the small hours alone.

alan nagsworth

Every time I watched Zombie Flesh Eaters it seems to shit me up, but mostly because of how much of a weird atmosphere Lucio Fulci can conjur up. His depiction of the world is quite disjointed and unpleasant to witness. He manages this in the other ones I've seen, The Beyond and City of the Living Dead, but not quite as strongly as ZFE. The bit with the fucking horrible looking zombies coming out of the ground with the weird jungle drums msic playing over the top, brrr.

Bazooka

Indeed, I have seen enough real life video nasties that I have become immune to fictional horror. It doesn't help that 99% of recent horror has been glossier than Dulex paint.

LanceUppercut

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 30, 2017, 01:08:35 PM

I took a date to see that at the cinema, quiet car ride home that.

colacentral

You were watching one of the least scary horror films I've ever seen when you had this realisation. I would say watch some classic horror films by yourself, in the dark, with no distractions, and allow yourself to be immersed in them. I think Halloween, The Exorcist, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and numerous others would still be terrifying. The Blair Witch Project is another that's easy to laugh at in the wrong conditions, but completely alone and in the dark it can be quite disturbing. Many of David Lynch's films are the same: I find it quite hard to watch something like Mulholland Drive by myself in a dark room with the volume turned up, and that's not even technically a horror film.

popcorn

I hadn't been scared by a horror movie in decades, then I watched the Korean film The Wailing. Admittedly alone with the lights off. First time I'd felt properly spooked in a long, long, long time.

kidsick5000

Very late to the IT party but I really liked it.
The most disturbing part was the least highlighted. The librarian in the background was a brilliant move

Head Gardener

Glebe

Quote from: colacentral on October 01, 2017, 04:43:18 PMThe Blair Witch Project is another that's easy to laugh at in the wrong conditions, but completely alone and in the dark it can be quite disturbing.

Absolutely. I remember someone telling me they went to see it and people in the audience were laughing. Watched it quietly with a few mates with the lights off and it was fucking creepy as fuck.

SteveDave

I saw this on Saturday. Dog eggs. Not scary. Jar-Jar Pennywise.

I couldn't believe how bad this was. Makes the 1990 version's shortcomings seem that bit more forgivable. Can't think of a single thing that this new one got right, not one fucking thing!

Steven

"Take i......    t."

Shook me up for days, that voiced dental consonant.