Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:17:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stewart Lee on tour

Started by spaghetamine, January 17, 2023, 02:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

He bangs on about twitter an awful lot for someone who professes not to use it, so presumably he just uses it anonymously. Seems sensible.

He has a long-standing affectation to be a "man out of time" Luddite figure, with his books and jazz records, not all smartphones and twitter like what you would use. He was claiming not to know what apps or podcasts were into the 2020s, which is bonkers for someone who works in the media. You don't live in a cave, Stew.

Twilkes

Quote from: Ferris on March 22, 2023, 02:14:20 PMHe has a long-standing affectation to be a "man out of time" Luddite figure, with his books and jazz records

If Stewart Lee played Howard Moon in a remake of Mighty Booshy, who would play Vince Noir?

Spoiler alert
I saw him do the Kitson/Cryer/Lock bit in Glasgow, and while the payoff was good the journey there was a bit long and laugh free.
[close]

There were also tons of latecomers in Glasgow which he commented on copiously, including repeatedly pointing out to someone who'd come late that they wouldn't understand the rest of the show because they'd missed the first five minutes so they may as well go home now. It was all very good natured though, I can't imagine him requesting that once the show starts anyone else had to wait until the interval. Maybe it depends on the venue. Or Glasgow pissed him off so much he changed his policy.

Apparently he abandoned a large part of the end of the show on one of the Aberdeen nights, 250 punters in a 500 seater venue.

JamesTC

Quote from: Twilkes on March 22, 2023, 11:05:10 PMThere were also tons of latecomers in Glasgow which he commented on copiously, including repeatedly pointing out to someone who'd come late that they wouldn't understand the rest of the show because they'd missed the first five minutes so they may as well go home now. It was all very good natured though, I can't imagine him requesting that once the show starts anyone else had to wait until the interval.

That is part of the show. I imagine he was probably pretty peeved no latecomer arrived until after the interval because it meant he couldn't do the joke.

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: JamesTC on March 22, 2023, 11:09:27 PMThat is part of the show. I imagine he was probably pretty peeved no latecomer arrived until after the interval because it meant he couldn't do the joke.
Oh yeah he said that, thanks for reminding me!

prit

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on March 22, 2023, 02:03:38 PMI have a shockingly poor memory but it was part of the Fleabag bit, where he claims
Spoiler alert
he was the first comedian to face the audience, and before that they all just faced the back of the stage and mumbled their bits. He tried it out and then backstage he got a talking to from Lock, Kitson and Barry Cryer.
[close]
It was funny, sorry you missed it.

I saw him in Plymouth a couple of weeks ago. After the interval he told off someone called Tony Goodman for making this tweet:

He said that's not his policy, he asks the theatre to show latercomers in quietly, but that he was glad Tony Goodman wasn't allowed in. Anyway there's Stewart Lee, famously not on social media, doing a namesearch on Twitter during the interval. WE SEE YOU LEE. (big fan)

Aaaaahhh - thank you very much! When he did that bit the night I saw him he didn't mention Lock or Kitson, but I think he may have mentioned Barry Cryer.

(I assumed it was going to reference the chat he had with Kitson where he asked him to be his agent and Sean Lock called them both c*nts!)

GMTV

Quote from: Twilkes on March 22, 2023, 11:05:10 PMApparently he abandoned a large part of the end of the show on one of the Aberdeen nights, 250 punters in a 500 seater venue.

I feel a bit guilty about not going to this. I went to his last gig up here, but what can I say, been busy recently.

If a lifer Cabber like me can't make it, who can.... Sorry Stew if you're reading this, please come again.

Tiggles

Well, he finally snapped and shoved a punter's phone down the back of his trousers tonight in Salford.

V weird atmosphere in the first half - loads of empty seats for a sold-out show, tons of latecomers and people wandering around, almost feral use of phones despite his patience clearly wearing thin. Second half felt less weird, with tension for the right reasons.

Didn't stop him from being great. Definitely the warmest, loosest and most affectionate show from him... ever? My fav bit was the imaginary light jazz backing track.

mjwilson

On Thursday night he said we were the worst audience of the week, due to a handful of latecomers and a few phone users, so it sounds like we lost that title.

(It's a small thing but I always appreciate how good is venue-related material is. He always has something new but Salford-specific to say, instead of just coming on and saying "Hello Salford".)

Pranet

Last chance to buy the Fist of Fun series 1 four DVD set from Go Faster Stripe before they lose the licence to sell them- one week to go apparently. £6 including p&p so I've gone for it. The extras are now a reminder of the time they still got on.

https://www.gofasterstripe.com/cgi-bin/w.cgi?page=backfrompaypal&PayerID=JY623JCBTW5Y6

Magnum Valentino

Fucking 3.50 for one of the most comprehsensive extras on a TV series ever?

That's class, I actually thought these were out of print.

Pranet

So did I. I wonder if series two will become available at a similar price when its time comes?

There is an ongoing sale of DVDs and CDs- Chris doesn't want them cluttering up his house anymore apparently. New stuff each week.

FredNurke

Thanks for the tip-off! Now ordered.

superthunderstingcar

madhair60

ordered to get a digital copy. cheers.

Magnum Valentino

Does the digital have the extras?

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Thanks pranet, good excuse as any to finally check it out.

Noticed series 2 is simply sold out, wonder if that's it for that series or whether they'll have more before it's similar demise.

Magnum Valentino

Ray Travez

Not sure if I should get this, or if it will make me sad to see them as friends back then. I loved their partnership. Perhaps I'm just a sentimental fool.

Magnum Valentino

The video of the two of them going through old files in Rich's back garden on a summer day after they've got back from Nandos is particularly sad in that regard.

But it's such a good set, I've often thought the full studio rushes were an unsung all-timer when it came to insightful DVD supplements. It's amazing watching how boring it is to make a TV episode, genuinely, I don't mean that facetiously.

madhair60

Quote from: Ray Travez on April 08, 2023, 06:23:17 AMNot sure if I should get this, or if it will make me sad to see them as friends back then. I loved their partnership. Perhaps I'm just a sentimental fool.

If you loved their partnership you should absolutely 100% definitely get it

Goldentony

the series 2 DVD set has been old out for years via their site, had my eye on getting it for ages then fucking BOOOOFFF just gone, have to keep an eye on CEX's website for it now because fuck paying what people want on eBay for it, that and Alxei Sayle's STUFF I wish id got on release.

JamesTC

Quote from: Goldentony on April 08, 2023, 05:51:50 PMthe series 2 DVD set has been old out for years via their site, had my eye on getting it for ages then fucking BOOOOFFF just gone, have to keep an eye on CEX's website for it now because fuck paying what people want on eBay for it, that and Alxei Sayle's STUFF I wish id got on release.

I saw a couple of series of Stuff recently in CEX so I took a look and baulked at the price they were asking for.

Twilkes

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on April 08, 2023, 07:03:05 AMThe video of the two of them going through old files in Rich's back garden on a summer day after they've got back from Nandos is particularly sad in that regard.

Any idea what year that would have been?

Magnum Valentino

It was just after they recorded the commentaries for series 1, which I think was released in 2011, so likely that summer.

bgmnts

Quote from: Ray Travez on April 08, 2023, 06:23:17 AMNot sure if I should get this, or if it will make me sad to see them as friends back then.

Do they hate each other now?? I know Stew got a bit pissed and chopsy on one of the RHLSTPs but there isn't any personal animosity is there?

Magnum Valentino

Could I suggest a cheeky thing?

Seeing as these are sold out and from the sounds of it will now be unavailable forever, would anyone with the downloads like to share the link?

I ask because it doesn't seem like there's a way to buy the downloads only, and the rips I made from the DVDs years ago don't play properly on my newer TV.

Would never suggest it if it would cost Chris, Rich or Stew money but doesn't sound like that's the case.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: bgmnts on April 08, 2023, 10:15:53 PMDo they hate each other now?? I know Stew got a bit pissed and chopsy on one of the RHLSTPs but there isn't any personal animosity is there?

Probably still a bit of bad blood from the TMWRNJ dvd non-release, they were never quite as rosy after that.  I still think Stew was right, though.

I'm pretty sure Rich has said he didn't hear anything from Stew when he got cancer, so there's probably some personal animosity

Ferris

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on April 08, 2023, 10:42:41 PMCould I suggest a cheeky thing?

Seeing as these are sold out and from the sounds of it will now be unavailable forever, would anyone with the downloads like to share the link?

I ask because it doesn't seem like there's a way to buy the downloads only, and the rips I made from the DVDs years ago don't play properly on my newer TV.

Would never suggest it if it would cost Chris, Rich or Stew money but doesn't sound like that's the case.

I don't feel too bad pirating their stuff as they simply don't make it available in North America so there's nothing I can do.

I've given them a load of money over the years and would happily pay for a digital download version but it's not an option for some reason. If I could do it in a way that was above board, even if it was expensive I'd cheerfully opt for it - I've signed up for a few subscription streaming service just to watch a single show.

As it is...

madhair60

I think it was available as a download for a fair old while. I'm part of their club thingy which means everything I've bought physically gets added as a download, which is pretty much why I repurchased the thing on sale, just to get the download... not that this helps now