Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:53:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Finishing: '19 - footballfootballfootballfootballfootb

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, March 13, 2019, 10:11:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 11, 2019, 10:43:59 PM
Flicking through the channels I got to BT Sport 1.
Not saying they struggle to fill the time during the summer or anything, but they were showing Derby v Stoke from 1975.

Anyway, FUCKING STATE OF THAT PITCH!
https://youtu.be/ITnFAqPmnTo?t=31

Queneau's mate playing a blinder there.

Ferris

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 11, 2019, 10:43:59 PM
Flicking through the channels I got to BT Sport 1.
Not saying they struggle to fill the time during the summer or anything, but they were showing Derby v Stoke from 1975.

Anyway, FUCKING STATE OF THAT PITCH!
https://youtu.be/ITnFAqPmnTo?t=31

3rd goal a cracker, although Derby were doing well to only concede two considering they fielded identical clones of Noel Edmonds as a centre-half pairing.

Used to watch football from the '70s hungover on Sunday mornings in my old apartment in Edinburgh. Developed a soft spot for Ipswich because of their flare for shitness and ludicrous Bill Bailey combovers. Must have been on BT Sport, I had often wondered.

DrGreggles

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 12, 2019, 02:12:04 AM
Developed a soft spot for Ipswich because of their flare for shitness and ludicrous Bill Bailey combovers.

Was that during the Mick Mills era? There was a bloke who never looked young enough to have been a footballer.
Saw a Panini sticker of him from 1980ish and he was there with his wrinkles and combover and moustache.

You'd never suspect him of being under 50.
Further research shows that he would probably have been 29 when the photo was taken. TWENTY NINE!

sevendaughters

Quote from: sprocket on July 11, 2019, 09:58:28 PM

If number 27 doesn't inspire you, there's something dead inside.

Admittedly they weren't very good. Though against the 2019 version of The Greatest Team In The World, they didn't need to be.

Cork's #3 is more inspirational to me.

phantom_power

"Most boring and desperate attempt to shoehorn Man United into a story" story of the week:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48952146

Ferris

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 12, 2019, 08:21:00 AM
Was that during the Mick Mills era? There was a bloke who never looked young enough to have been a footballer.
Saw a Panini sticker of him from 1980ish and he was there with his wrinkles and combover and moustache.

Further research shows that he would probably have been 29 when the photo was taken. TWENTY NINE!

Living in Ipswich has taken its toll on him.

DrGreggles

Peter Crouch has retired. Far better player than he was ever given credit for.
Always seems like a nice bloke, and is pretty popular with fans of all his old teams. Quite an achievement these days.
Scored some decent goals too.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Yes, the recent BanterCast is irritating but seems to have left a positive mark wherever he's gone. Admittedly big men tend to be by default 'cult players'.

Good feet for a big man should also be accompanied by 'surprisingly mediocre at heading'.

Ferris

One of the few players to "give us a wave!" when I was yelling at players warming up in front of the Trinity Road stand as a teenager.

For this, he has always been a favourite of mine, even if he wasn't much cop at Villa.

holyzombiejesus

He's as funny as Jermaine Pennant is intelligent and Gary Lineker is wise.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: phantom_power on July 12, 2019, 12:00:38 PM
"Most boring and desperate attempt to shoehorn Man United into a story" story of the week:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48952146
It's not really shoehorning United into a story, is it? I mean, the sick person works for them. Desperate, yes, but more in a "trying to write something about United as none of the big clubs are doing anything newsworthy transfer-wise".

lebowskibukowski

Crouch was great for QPR for the one season he was there, and he seems a thoroughly decent chap (bar, as mentioned, that podcast), but for me he will always be a poor man's Ian Ormondroyd

Ferris

I see Andy Carroll is without a club as well. Is the writing on the wall for The Big Man Up Top?

The Culture Bunker

They can both join big Kevin Francis out in Canada, working for the Mounted Police.

Ferris

Captain Z

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 12, 2019, 12:24:13 PM
Peter Crouch has retired. Far better player than he was ever given credit for.

Yeah but could he do it on a wet monday night in Stoke?

DrGreggles

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 12, 2019, 01:12:21 PM
I see Andy Carroll is without a club as well.

Surprisingly he's injured at the moment, so wouldn't pass a medical anyway.
Someone will take him though (and I think, as a free agent. he's not restricted by the transfer window).
He's actually decent if he can get onto a football pitch.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

He'll go full circle and wind up playing for the toon in the Championship next year

phes

What will become of Crouchie. He's clearly enjoyed the love and cult status, despite it not really being in his nature. Got his feet on the ground, that lad. Don't see him heading down the parasitic property Baron route, a la Fowler. Likes a challenge. Once this podcast and Amazon crap is done with, what then.

Bowel surgeon I reckon

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: phes on July 13, 2019, 10:07:16 AM
What will become of Crouchie. He's clearly enjoyed the love and cult status, despite it not really being in his nature. Got his feet on the ground, that lad. Don't see him heading down the parasitic property Baron route, a la Fowler. Likes a challenge. Once this podcast and Amazon crap is done with, what then.

Bowel surgeon I reckon

Top Gear with Laddy Mcguinness and Laddy Flintoff and infinite banter

phes

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 13, 2019, 10:08:30 AM
Top Gear with Laddy Mcguinness and Laddy Flintoff and infinite banter

He definitely loves a bit of it (parklife). Not a job though, is it. Crouchie knows this. While the other lads are sharpening their thigh-splaying and cliche tekkers Crouchie will be training as a French polisher

DrGreggles

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 12, 2019, 08:21:00 AM

Maybe the lack of football is getting to me, but I've become a bit obsessed with footballers of the 70s and how old, haggard and generally un-athletic some of them look.
Because Twitter tells me that it's former Dutch defender Fred Bischot's birthday today (Happy Birthday Fred) someone posted this image of him:

I wanted to know more, so I dug a little deeper...

Now, he was obviously still playing when this photo was taken and, of the clubs he played, he's clearly wearing the stripes of Go Ahead Eagles rather than plain white of Telstar or FC Amsterdam.
But Fred had 2 spells with Go Ahead Eagles, so which was this? Well, luckily the shirt he's wearing is clearly a heavy 70s vintage rather than its shiny 80s equivalent. The 82-3 season shirt (for that was when he re-joined for a single campaign) also had a collar, unlike those from a few years prior.
Fred's initial spell with the Eagles was from 1976 to 1978, therefore this is most likely to be from the photo call at the start of one of those seasons.
So, assuming this was taken in 1976 or 1977, and knowing that he's 71 today, Fred Bischot was either 28 or 29 years old at the time of this photo.

*adopts Simon Day voice from 'Down the Line'*
BEAT THAT!

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on July 13, 2019, 01:07:06 PM
Time for the new season thread?

Bruce's appointment at Newcastle Toons is the trigger for that.

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 13, 2019, 02:39:15 PM
So, assuming this was taken in 1976 or 1977, and knowing that he's 71 today, Fred Bischot was either 28 or 29 years old at the time of this photo.

*adopts Simon Day voice from 'Down the Line'*
BEAT THAT!

I don't think I can, but here's a 32-year-old Alan Gilzean celebrating after walking the length of Goodison Park without stopping.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Maurice Yeatman on July 13, 2019, 07:48:00 PM
I don't think I can, but here's a 32-year-old Alan Gilzean celebrating after walking the length of Goodison Park without stopping.

Shit, I'd forgotten about Gilzean.
There was a man who was never young.

BlodwynPig

Gilzean, aged 4 1/2

Died almost a year ago today

BlodwynPig

Tasty group C in the EFL Trophy

Bankrupt Bury
Plastic Salford
The Mighty Tranmere Rovers
Former European Heavyweights Aston Villa (Youth)

Ferris

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 13, 2019, 11:01:44 PM
Tasty group C in the EFL Trophy

Bankrupt Bury
Plastic Salford
The Mighty Tranmere Rovers
Former European Heavyweights Aston Villa (Youth)

The CaB Toronto derby (youth)!