Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,655,438
  • Total Topics: 107,925
  • Online Today: 594
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 18, 2024, 06:00:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Best examples of characters/actors getting DUMPED

Started by BJBMK2, April 01, 2024, 09:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

Quote from: thr0b on April 02, 2024, 10:17:29 AMYeah, I recall the story being that Enfield wasn't happy with his performance, and he turned down the opportunity to return. Which arguably was best for everyone.
The first series has the best joke from the whole show: when Enfield's character hires the guy with the keyboard to play "flamenco guitar" and even though there's no change in sound he says, "Ooops, slipped into flugelhorn there!"

bigfatheart

Quote from: Tony Yeboah on April 01, 2024, 11:36:47 PMJohn in Taxi.

Also Bobby, played by Jeff 'Kenickie' Conaway. Conaway had done his back in while filming the Greased Lightning scene, which led to problems with prescription painkillers. This led to him missing an episode, so the writers divided his lines up among other cast members, and realised afterwards that it had been pretty easy to do so. The producers decided they had a cast member who was becoming unreliable and whose lines could easily be given to other characters, suggesting his character was expendable, so he got written out. At least he got a farewell episode.

Kelvin

Quote from: thr0b on April 02, 2024, 08:54:16 AMThey also entirely removed the kids Roseanne and Jackie had late in the original run; briefly referred to in the Roseanne revival, never again.

I never watched the Roseanne revival. How did they explain their absence in-show, out of interest?

thr0b

Quote from: Kelvin on April 02, 2024, 10:57:35 AMI never watched the Roseanne revival. How did they explain their absence in-show, out of interest?

Roseanne and Dan's youngest is/was in the military abroad - but hasn't been referred to since it rebooted as The Conners, and is entirely removed.

Jackie's kid has never been referred to.

Seems to annoy a lot of internet people, but I just accept that this version of the show takes place in a different timeline to the original, which given Dan died in the original is not a big deal.

Matthew Dawkins Jub Jub

Boston Legal is rife with these. In a few, rare cases the character gets a sendoff of a sort. In more cases (Lori, Sara, Garrett, Claire, Clarence, Whitney) the character just vanishes, never to be seen again.

JaDanketies

Terry Farrell as 'Reggie' was half the reason me and my dad watched Becker, and she got binned off unceremoniously at the end of season 4, after finally smooching Ted Danson. The executive producer said this strange decision had "nothing to do with Farrell supporting the cast in a lawsuit and walkout for a promised pay raise after season three." Bob, played by Saverio Guerra, also "filed a lawsuit against Paramount Television for breach of contract, after they did not receive a promised pay raise", and then his character "went on vacation and never came back." We never finished watching it, it quickly became totally tonally-different

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on April 01, 2024, 10:44:01 PMMark Brendanawicz, given the shaft after season two of Parks and Rec. Presumably he was meant to be like Jim in The Office, but they realised that they'd made a character who was unpleasant and didn't gel with the rest of the cast.
I read that it was a mutual thing, with the actor wanting to go off and do films. In any case, there was no point him being there once Adam Scott turned up.

Kelvin

Quote from: thr0b on April 02, 2024, 11:02:54 AMRoseanne and Dan's youngest is/was in the military abroad - but hasn't been referred to since it rebooted as The Conners, and is entirely removed.

Jackie's kid has never been referred to.

Seems to annoy a lot of internet people, but I just accept that this version of the show takes place in a different timeline to the original, which given Dan died in the original is not a big deal.

That's interesting, thanks. More odd that Jackie's kid was never mentioned as he was in quite a few seasons of the original show.

As you say, though, you can't get hung up on continuity after the final season of the original run.

DrGreggles

PCBH had plenty of characters suddenly being moved to D Block* or Barnhurst** overnight - often due to contract disputes.

Nora went from Top Dog to suddenly escaped/killed off-screen, although this may have been down to the producers finally realising she was shit.

*short-term, possibly in panto
**gone for good

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 02, 2024, 12:08:07 PMPCBH had plenty of characters suddenly being moved to D Block* or Barnhurst** overnight - often due to contract disputes.

Nora went from Top Dog to suddenly escaped/killed off-screen, although this may have been down to the producers finally realising she was shit.

*short-term, possibly in panto
**gone for good

I always wondered how Erica had the time to run blocks A-G as well as H. And how did Bea Smith exert her authority on those blocks when it seemed to emanate entirely from that sheet press.

Sorry, wrong thread...

QDRPHNC

Not comedy, but Robert Loggia in The Sopranos. Supposedly they wrapped his story up much quicker than planned because he was a pain in the arse on set who couldn't remember his lines. Although they did it in quite a clever way that contributed to Tony's character arc.

In Seinfeld, Lawrence Tierney was meant to be a recurring character as Elaine's dad, but he terrified the cast and "threatened" Jerry with a knife so they never wanted him back. Some details about it here:

Mr Vegetables

Cheers is pretty unsentimental about the Coach dying; very much "here is the new very stupid character, let's crack on with it."

But then it would probably have been odd to do anything else, given the actor had died before they'd even finished filming the previous season. And obviously this isn't quite the same thing as being DUMPED, given the circumstances

Icehaven

I'm sure Larry Hankin has said before that he was initially gutted when Friends became a huge success because Heckles was killed off in S1 after a couple of appearances and if he'd been in one more episode he'd have qualified for residual earnings forever, but then they had him back in a flashback episode in a later series so it was OK.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Armin Meiwes on April 01, 2024, 11:40:28 PMWas watching the golden girls recently and never realised that in the very first ep (presumably pilot) they had a much younger male (gay?) housemate who just isn't there in ep2 and as far as I know is never mentioned ever again.
We've been rewatching the Golden Girls, and it was a smart decision to drop his character as it did spoil the dynamics between the main characters. Funnily enough, we just got to the episode where they remember how they met, and obviously he's not there either - you'd think they'd have dropped in a line to explain his absence. Can only imagine the audience feedback to him was pretty horrendous.

Psych had a different partner for Lassiter in the plot, who was written out (later replaced by O'Hara) as being transferred due to Shawn having revealed she was having an affair with Lassie.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Icehaven on April 02, 2024, 02:13:04 PMI'm sure Larry Hankin has said before that he was initially gutted when Friends became a huge success because Heckles was killed off in S1 after a couple of appearances and if he'd been in one more episode he'd have qualified for residual earnings forever, but then they had him back in a flashback episode in a later series so it was OK.

He's the Jerry version of Kramer in Seinfeld, but he did actually audition for the part and must have got pretty close otherwise they wouldn't have had him back. Imagine almost being a recurring character in two of the biggest comedies ever, poor guy.

The Crumb

Peep Show had at least a couple. Toni being replaced by Michelle between series 2 and 3, then Sophie's brother Jamie being replaced by her cousin Barney, who was clearly originally meant to be the same character.

The Mollusk

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on April 02, 2024, 10:06:49 AMAnd of course there was that really cool dog with the skateboard, although that may not have been anything to do with money.

Doesn't explain why Roy who is CLEARLY the best character the show has ever seen was so abruptly written out of the Simpson household. Kids these days are always saying "how's it hangin' everybody?" so it's clear he hasn't been forgotten. I think about him every day.

Icehaven

Roger's arc in Frasier was a bit odd, he appears in one or two episodes, then he's never seen again but Roz talks about them still being together for quite a while after that, then there's the episode where she reveals he's suddenly dumped her. You got the feeling they were indecisive about having him around for longer as a semi-regular but for whatever reason decided against it, or maybe the actor didn't want to stay or something.

Scrapey Fish

Rachel Dratch getting dropped from the Jenna role in 30 Rock was a pretty tough decision though no doubt the right one.

The Pete and Twofer characters saw their screen time drastically dialled down, which annoyed me a bit, especially as Pete was in the opening credits

C_Larence

Quote from: Thosworth on April 02, 2024, 09:20:22 AMIn Silicon Valley, TJ Miller was left in an opium den in Tibet. They let him announce that it was his decision, but apparently very hard to work with - cast and crew would be on set at 7am and he wouldn't turn up for the whole day, falling asleep between takes, hints at alcohol/drug use etc.

Michael Bay also supposedly gave his character a gruesome death in Transformers: Age Of Extinction for being a prick on set

Quote from: BJBMK2 on April 01, 2024, 10:00:22 PMObviously we know why he was suddenly GONE, but didn't Hugh's departure in The Thick Of It, literally get one single line in the next ep? "Well, Hugh's gone", or something to that effect.

He's "in Australia" for the 2007 specials, but is "gone" in a reshuffle for series 3.

Natnar

beanheadmcginty

Rev+

Quote from: thr0b on April 02, 2024, 08:54:16 AMThey killed Roseanne by way of overdose of opioid medication she had obtained from Ted Danson's wife.

It was an elegant way to do it, I thought, the problem having been set up in the one-off 'Roseanne' revival series.  Nowhere near as jarring as returning with a 'oh, that car crash was unfortunate'.  They totally had that in their back pocket because they knew she'd come out with some indefensible shit, in other words.

Aye Well Mmm

Quote from: BJBMK2 on April 01, 2024, 09:53:07 PMOr as TvTropes puts it, "Put On The Bus".

I'm watching Monk for the first time, and it really made me laugh, just how quickly and abruptly they bin off Sharona, his first assistant, halfway through the third season. No big goodbye scene, she just moved away, and that's it, done,  cya, next ep (Translation: contract dispute).

Are there any more examples, where a character is just suddenly and quickly GONE, and that's just the way it is? The more cynical the real life motivation, the better.

The actress learned that she was on a considerably smaller wage than her male co-stars, complained, had no one in the cast back her, and was dropped apparently

Aye Well Mmm

Quote from: Mr Vegetables on April 02, 2024, 02:09:07 PMCheers is pretty unsentimental about the Coach dying; very much "here is the new very stupid character, let's crack on with it."

But then it would probably have been odd to do anything else, given the actor had died before they'd even finished filming the previous season. And obviously this isn't quite the same thing as being DUMPED, given the circumstances

They were more sentimental about the actor who played Coach, Nicholas Colasanto. It's his personal photo of Geronimo that appears on the back wall in every ep after his death, seen behind the bar in the exact spot Coach would be stood.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: BJBMK2 on April 01, 2024, 09:53:07 PMOr as TvTropes puts it, "Put On The Bus".

In Hollyoaks that bus is always "the city" (Manchester). You know if some mid character is moving there you're never seeing them again, even though people can return from distant corners of the UK and Ireland.

Uncle TechTip

Another example from the Simpsons would be Dr Nick Riviera, and a reason that's hard to beat - doing his voice made the actor's throat hurt?

curiousoranges

Aunt Viv in Fresh Prince of Bel Air was abruptly recast without many people caring.

Tags: