Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 15, 2024, 12:35:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Best examples of characters/actors getting DUMPED

Started by BJBMK2, April 01, 2024, 09:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FredNurke

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on April 02, 2024, 08:23:39 PMAnother example from the Simpsons would be Dr Nick Riviera, and a reason that's hard to beat - doing his voice made the actor's throat hurt?

That's Marvin Monroe, I think.

dead-ced-dead

Anne Dudek from the pilot of Psych, replaced in episode two by Maggie Lawson. Dudek's character was thought of as being too similar to Timothy Omundson's character, who was cynical of Shawn's psychic "abilities" and the show didn't need two cynics.

Jerzy Bondov

The Mindy Project did this repeatedly. One of the receptionists (Shauna) just disappears after the first season and then the other one (Betsy) is gone after season two. In the first season Anna Camp is in the main cast as Mindy's best friend, and then she's in one or two episodes of season two, and then GONE, never mentioned ever again, BYE. I've got a soft spot for it but they were really winging it the whole way through.

superthunderstingcar

Holly in Red Dwarf's sixth season.

Oh, we can just give all of her lines to Kryten. We've more or less been doing that for the last two years anyway.

idunnosomename

Quote from: FredNurke on April 02, 2024, 08:49:21 PMThat's Marvin Monroe, I think.
yeah Marvin Monroe was Harry Shearer in a really low tone. Nick Riveria is Hank Azaria and really not that hard to do, in fact really fun (HIII EV-ERY-BODY): he got impaled on a massive shard of glass from the collapsing dome in the Movie but comes back in a few episodes afterwards I understand (lol who cares)

Marvin Monroe's retirement, after his prominence in the first season, i think was as much to do with his messy character design that doesn't suit the on-model consensus that takes over the animation later on, as much as Shearer finding the voice too difficult (there's a few bits in S3-6 where he's voice only, like Homer's vocab training tape in Bart's Friend Falls in Love, S3:E23) and why they moved on with the "he's dead now" jokes ("Proceed at once to Marvin Monroe Memorial Hospital" in Who Shot Mr Burns Pt. 2 S7:E1 I think is when that starts)

Tombola

None of the non-Baldrick/Percy supporting characters in The Black Adder have equivalents in the subsequent series, although Broadbent and Margolyes do reappear in Christmas Carol.

McChesney Duntz

Quote from: Aye Well Mmm on April 02, 2024, 08:11:11 PMThey were more sentimental about the actor who played Coach, Nicholas Colasanto. It's his personal photo of Geronimo that appears on the back wall in every ep after his death, seen behind the bar in the exact spot Coach would be stood.

And the very last thing Sam Malone does before shutting off the lights to the bar forever in the finale was adjust the Geronimo picture. Lovely little gesture, that.

Aye Well Mmm

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on April 02, 2024, 11:13:20 PMAnd the very last thing Sam Malone does before shutting off the lights to the bar forever in the finale was adjust the Geronimo picture. Lovely little gesture, that.

Beautiful moment

thr0b

Quote from: Rev+ on April 02, 2024, 07:51:42 PMIt was an elegant way to do it, I thought, the problem having been set up in the one-off 'Roseanne' revival series.  Nowhere near as jarring as returning with a 'oh, that car crash was unfortunate'.  They totally had that in their back pocket because they knew she'd come out with some indefensible shit, in other words.

Yeah, I was definitely thinking in that first season that the opioid storyline was there as insurance; no recommission? She overdoses. Recommission? She doesn't. Recommission but does a racism? She's dead.

Uncle TechTip

Underturd

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 02, 2024, 08:17:47 PMIn Hollyoaks that bus is always "the city" (Manchester). You know if some mid character is moving there you're never seeing them again, even though people can return from distant corners of the UK and Ireland.

No, people come back from Manchester, it's London, Canada, and Alicante that eat them.

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 02, 2024, 12:08:07 PMPCBH had plenty of characters suddenly being moved to D Block* or Barnhurst** overnight - often due to contract disputes.

Nora went from Top Dog to suddenly escaped/killed off-screen, although this may have been down to the producers finally realising she was shit.

*short-term, possibly in panto
**gone for good

Of course PAUL REED gets one of the most abrupt exits of all time. Apparently the actor had some personal crisis which led to him immediately quitting the show, which is dealt with on-screen by him just not turning up for work one morning, after which he's never seen again. Bit of a sorry end for the show's greatest character, PAUL REED.

Kenny from the original Tomorrow People was a case where the production team must have realised they'd made a huge mistake in casting him almost immediately, as even by the standards of the rest of the show he is fucking dreadful. After the first story they clearly try to minimise his role as much as possible by having him permanently stuck at TP HQ (and even then he still manages to stink up every scene he's in), then by the start of the second series he's out the door without a word.

madhair60

I like the silly little meta gag in season 15 where Dr. Marvin Monroe randomly shows up to Marge's book signing.

https://x.com/simpsons_DG/status/1643708416366370816?s=20

Twilkes

Crispin Glover in Back To The Future is a good one, various stories about how he asked for too much money for the sequels, but also how the writer/director (?) wrote Glover's part so he had to hang upside down during all his scenes because they hated him so much. They used another actor and made him up to look like Glover, who sued them for using his likeness without permission and won, setting a Hollywood precedent which stands today.

And Marty's girlfriend, don't know why the same actress couldn't return but the replacement was basically written unconscious for most of the second movie.

gilbertharding

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on April 02, 2024, 07:50:34 PMJason Dawe from Top Gear

How many episodes was he even on? Did he last the whole first series?

By Christ he was awful though.

thr0b

Quote from: Twilkes on April 03, 2024, 11:05:13 AMCrispin Glover in Back To The Future is a good one, various stories about how he asked for too much money for the sequels, but also how the writer/director (?) wrote Glover's part so he had to hang upside down during all his scenes because they hated him so much. They used another actor and made him up to look like Glover, who sued them for using his likeness without permission and won, setting a Hollywood precedent which stands today.

And Marty's girlfriend, don't know why the same actress couldn't return but the replacement was basically written unconscious for most of the second movie.

And of course, Eric Stolz entirely dumped from the film after casting as Marty, filming a load of it and realising it wasn't working.

Andy147

Quote from: Twilkes on April 03, 2024, 11:05:13 AMAnd Marty's girlfriend, don't know why the same actress couldn't return but the replacement was basically written unconscious for most of the second movie.

She stopped acting for several years for family reasons (ill mother).

buzby

Quote from: gilbertharding on April 03, 2024, 11:24:35 AMHow many episodes was he even on? Did he last the whole first series?

By Christ he was awful though.
Dawe was in all 10 episodes of the first series. Getting rid of him in favour of James May was the point the show shifted from consumer advice to entertainment (he was the used car expert, fulfilling the same role Quentin Willson had on old Top Gear).

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Twilkes on April 03, 2024, 11:05:13 AMCrispin Glover in Back To The Future is a good one, various stories about how he asked for too much money for the sequels, but also how the writer/director (?) wrote Glover's part so he had to hang upside down during all his scenes because they hated him so much. They used another actor and made him up to look like Glover, who sued them for using his likeness without permission and won, setting a Hollywood precedent which stands today...

Relationships between Glover and Zemeckis cooled because the former didn't like the ending of the first film and questioned it. Although there was an attempt to push a narrative that Glover had outrageous pay demands for the sequel and wanted to be paid the same as Fox, he says that he was offered about half as much as other supporting actors with roughly the same amount of time.

So it depends what you want to believe, difficult sod being greedy or someone who didn't particularly want to do a sequel, not willing to do it when there was considerable pay disparity.

It's not unusual for stories to emerge about actors being dreadful people when they leave a project. IIRC, there was briefing against Bitty Schram, who played Sharon's on Monk (which was mentioned) and that got a lot of media attention.... The considerable pay disparity on the show and that she generally didn't feel value, didn't seem to get attention for some reason.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: thr0b on April 02, 2024, 10:17:29 AMYeah, I recall the story being that Enfield wasn't happy with his performance, and he turned down the opportunity to return. Which arguably was best for everyone.

The first series wasn't a success and was dropped by ITV, which would have also been a factor.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on April 02, 2024, 10:06:49 AMLots of pay disputes! Maggie Roswell of the Simpsons got in a pay dispute which apparently resulted in Maude Flanders' unfortunate demise at the wrong end of a t-shirt cannon. And of course there was that really cool dog with the skateboard, although that may not have been anything to do with money.

What happened with Roswell was that she moved with her family and needed to fly to LA to record her lines. She asked that her pay was increased to cover the cost of those flights or alternatively, that she was able to record them at a more local station.

At the time, budgets were stretched due to the high amounts to pay for guest stars. So the logical thing was to sack Roswell.

dead-ced-dead

Glover and Zemeckis must have buried the hatchet at some point, since it's Glover who plays the monster in Zemeckis' version of Beowulf.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Aye Well Mmm on April 02, 2024, 07:54:36 PMThe actress learned that she was on a considerably smaller wage than her male co-stars, complained, had no one in the cast back her, and was dropped apparently

As part of that, there was an issue with others getting raises and not her.

As I mentioned above, it was suggested that Schram felt unvalued (Tony  Shalhoub suggested this) and although it's often cast in purely financial terms, that sort of thing is often at play and it's not purely down to cash.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on April 03, 2024, 12:49:59 PMGlover and Zemeckis must have buried the hatchet at some point, since it's Glover who plays the monster in Zemeckis' version of Beowulf.

I don't think they majorly fell out and I have a feeling that Glover says they've always got on. From accounts onset, it sounds like shooting could be fraught and they argued, but that's par for the course and Glover was coming up with the goods.

Bob Gale and Glover is another thing and there's clearly bad blood. Gale not long ago that they did nothing wrong over the sequel and they took advice etc. but nearly steps over the question 'how did that lawsuit work out again?'. There's also a question of why use Glover's likeness?

As far as I've seen, most of the information about Glover being difficult  on the first film comes from Jeffrey Weissman, who replaced him as George and he's the source of why the character is upside down. I have thought, if it was to make things unpleasant for Glover, why keep something in - which is actually pretty stupid - when another actor is doing the role.

gilbertharding

Quote from: buzby on April 03, 2024, 12:04:41 PMDawe was in all 10 episodes of the first series. Getting rid of him in favour of James May was the point the show shifted from consumer advice to entertainment (he was the used car expert, fulfilling the same role Quentin Willson had on old Top Gear).

I watched a few of that series recently, and he's like a dead weight. I mean, as hateable as Clarkson, May and Hammond might be as people, and as awful as their schtick is, at least the product was watchable

Gulftastic

Quote from: Ignatius_S on April 03, 2024, 12:40:23 PMThe first series wasn't a success and was dropped by ITV, which would have also been a factor.

I could be wrong, but the second series (first with Morrisey) also aired on ITV.

And speaking of dropped characters, Morrisey had a mate who ran a second hand record market stall in that 2nd season who vanished when it went to the Beeb.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Gulftastic on April 03, 2024, 01:20:00 PMI could be wrong, but the second series (first with Morrisey) also aired on ITV.

And speaking of dropped characters, Morrisey had a mate who ran a second hand record market stall in that 2nd season who vanished when it went to the Beeb.

You're probably right about the first two series being on ITV and I've conflated the casting change with it being dropped by ITV. 

letsgobrian

The character Devon disappears from Letterkenny and doesn't return, though frequently other characters will disappear for an entire series and come back later. Gail and The Coach being the most notable.

dead-ced-dead

Seems to be a lot of examples of characters named Coach, so I'll add another. Coach from New Girl, not once but twice.

The first was after the pilot, when Damon Wayans Jr. found out they renewed Happy Endings for another two seasons. After Happy Endings concluded, Wayans Jr. came back for another season and a half, but left at the end of season 4, this time with a lot bigger send off.

He got a few mentions between seasons 1-3, but it was far more of a "put on the bus" situation, whereas season 4 had Coach fall in love, move to a new city and have a big tearful goodbye.

Tags: