Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

June 14, 2024, 08:04:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Best new UK comedy.

Started by astrozombie, December 08, 2022, 12:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

astrozombie

I was off last week and had a week on the sofa catching up on films and series' I'd fallen behind on.

Decided to see what was new in UK comedy via iPlayer, All4 etc. And really struggled to find anything to catch my interest.

Last really good series I watched was "Ladhood" on iPlayer. Is there anything else out there I'm missing out on? Just want new stuff as I can't keep doing rewatches of Peep Show, The Thick of It and League of Gentlemen forever!

Steven88

Not all that new but i've enjoyed these in the last 5 years or so.
Alma's Not Normal, Mum, Detectorists, The Other One, People Just Do Nothing, This Country, Crashing, Cuckoo, Man Down, Man Like Mobeen.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Steven88 on December 08, 2022, 01:31:06 PMNot all that new but i've enjoyed these in the last 5 years or so.
Alma's Not Normal, Mum, Detectorists, The Other One, People Just Do Nothing, This Country, Crashing, Cuckoo, Man Down, Man Like Mobeen.
Also on All4: Big Boys, We Are Lady Parts, Derry Girls, Stath Lets Flats, Don't Hug Me I'm Scared.

Icehaven

Another shout for Big Boys, I've also enjoyed Ghosts, Ellie and Natasia, Outlaws, Lazy Susan, Feel Good. Does it have to be UK only?

lauraxsynthesis

What Icehaven said plus Back to Life, This Country, Man Like Mobeen, What We Do In The Shadows - all on iPlayer.

I'd suggest Am I Being Unreasonable but not sure I'd call it a comedy. Kind of a brutal watch.

Captain Z

Presumably you're familiar with all the recent Alan Partridge stuff, if that's your thing? This Time on iPlayer, From The Oasthouse Podcast, Scissored Isle... etc.

BBC (which I really enjoyed):
Pls Like (by Liam Williams from off of Ladhood)
This Country
Detectorists
Toast of London/Tinseltown
Ghosts
Ellie & Natasia
Zen Motoring (not a 'comedy' as such, but a nice offbeat little thing)
How To With John Wilson (as above, and not UK, but available on iPlayer)

BBC (which I thought were okay):
The Witchfinder
Am I Being Unreasonable
The Cleaner
Starstruck

All4:
PhoneShop
Stath Lets Flats
The Windsors
The Eric Andre Show (again, not UK based)
Dead Pixels
Feel Good (unfortunately went to Sky for the second series, which is difficult to obtain)

DelurkedToHelp

Ones I have watched, and would recommend
I Hate You - All4 (written by Robert Popper)
Here We Go - iPlayer (the pilot was called Pandemonium)
Wreck - iPlayer (the lead actor is the one who played the young version of Liam Williams in Ladhood. I'd say it has a similar tone Am I Being Unreasonable? in that there's a serious plot in amongst the comedy)
Staged - BritBox (didn't think Series 2 was as good as the first)
The Flatshare - Paramount+ (a romantic comedy; Paramount+ is included with Sky Cinema, if you have it)
I Hate Suzie - Sky (the second series is being released just before Christmas)
The Reluctant Landlord - Sky (written by and starring Romesh Ranganathan)

One I have watched but found "meh" at best
Avoidance - iPlayer (written by & starring Romesh)

Ones I haven't watched
Bloods - Sky
Breeders - Sky
The Baby - Sky (co-production with HBO)
Spreadsheet - All4 (it's set in Australia but has Katherine Parkinson in)

neveragain

There aren't enough new comedies being made, that's the trouble. We should be trying out loads of them, that's how you get the gold.

As such, I find it hard to list new comedies from the last year. And those that I can are comedy-dramas.

Here We Go was probably the most recent purely-comedy show I enjoyed, and it's well worth finding. A lovely little series. Alongside the last Alan Partridge, Motherland, Two Doors Down and Stath Lets Flats. (And some of those were the year before)

phes

Quote from: Captain Z on December 09, 2022, 01:17:50 PMPresumably you're familiar with all the recent Alan Partridge stuff, if that's your thing? This Time on iPlayer, From The Oasthouse Podcast, Scissored Isle... etc.

BBC (which I really enjoyed):
Pls Like (by Liam Williams from off of Ladhood)
This Country
Detectorists
Toast of London/Tinseltown
Ghosts
Ellie & Natasia
Zen Motoring (not a 'comedy' as such, but a nice offbeat little thing)
How To With John Wilson (as above, and not UK, but available on iPlayer)

BBC (which I thought were okay):
The Witchfinder
Am I Being Unreasonable
The Cleaner
Starstruck

All4:
PhoneShop
Stath Lets Flats
The Windsors
The Eric Andre Show (again, not UK based)
Dead Pixels
Feel Good (unfortunately went to Sky for the second series, which is difficult to obtain)

So depressing how 20 years on half our comedy is still The Office

the science eel

Quote from: DelurkedToHelp on December 11, 2022, 02:58:19 AMI Hate Suzie - Sky (the second series is being released just before Christmas)

REALLY looking forward to that. The first series was a revelation.

Sebastian Cobb

Yeah I liked I Hate Suzy.

Back to Life is probs the most recent British comedy I've watched. I liked it

RetroRobot

Loved Don't Hug Me I'm Scared but beyond that not a lot of UK stuff recently I've been into

Sebastian Cobb

Kind of like this thread as it's quite easy to miss stuff if, like many, you've abandoned TV schedules to the point you have no idea what's going on.

It's good that in a post-linear world the BBC are still seemingly taking risks and making comedy not for big audiences then making it a forgone conclusion by spiking it before it's aired.

phes

Is I hate Suzie a comedy?

I'm really enjoying a lot about this show 3 episodes in and it's certainly got its funny moments, and has one character who talks in relentless highbrow banter, but it's hard to watch and often distressing. Finding it hard to see this as a dark comedy, but I am only 3 episodes in tbf

shoulders

Quote from: neveragain on December 11, 2022, 09:38:27 AMThere aren't enough new comedies being made, that's the trouble. We should be trying out loads of them, that's how you get the gold.

As such, I find it hard to list new comedies from the last year. And those that I can are comedy-dramas.

Here We Go was probably the most recent purely-comedy show I enjoyed, and it's well worth finding. A lovely little series. Alongside the last Alan Partridge, Motherland, Two Doors Down and Stath Lets Flats. (And some of those were the year before)

Comedy is 'expensive to make', according to a bunch of execs that think a comedy series needs a cgi budget and has to look 'presentable' and also feature some of the heavily overpaid mainstream journeymen that are all on the books of the same two or three agencies. Presumably also to pay the expensive salaries of the wastes of space that orbit the commissioning and production of such shows.

neveragain

phes

I Hate Suzi definitely settled into a more comic thing in the second half of the first season. Overall I enjoyed it, despite it not really being up my tree.

I watched all of Back to Life. A real mixed bag that one, some very funny and touching moments, but also tone all over the shop and some terrible writing that would almost have been at home populating worlds in Derek/Afterlife. Short and likeable enough to plough through, a fair evenings entertainment 

Utter Shit

Big recommendations for Stath Lets Flats, Motherland, People Just Do Nothing, This Country, Ladhood and Pls Like!

lb99

Quote from: shoulders on December 11, 2022, 10:29:25 PMComedy is 'expensive to make', according to a bunch of execs that think a comedy series needs a cgi budget and has to look 'presentable' and also feature some of the heavily overpaid mainstream journeymen that are all on the books of the same two or three agencies. Presumably also to pay the expensive salaries of the wastes of space that orbit the commissioning and production of such shows.

Hard not to read this in Adam Buxton's 'bloke down the pub' voice.

brothlcreeprs

Absolutely Stath Lets Flats.
I'm glad other people have said it already. It's a show that makes me and whoever I'm watching it with laugh loudly and often every episode, everyone's performances are ridiculously good.
This Country is great too.
I know both shows aren't super new at this point but I'd say those two shows are 'modern' faves.

atavist

Quote from: brothlcreeprs on December 13, 2022, 03:00:08 PMAbsolutely Stath Lets Flats.
I'm glad other people have said it already. It's a show that makes me and whoever I'm watching it with laugh loudly and often every episode, everyone's performances are ridiculously good.
This Country is great too.
I know both shows aren't super new at this point but I'd say those two shows are 'modern' faves.

Yeah, they're both very good.

More old-fashioned perhaps, but with some good comedy chops involved, is 'King Gary'
(also a decent Xmas special!)

phes

Struggled with Pls Like. 4.5 hours of forgettable shite that got worse as it went along, much like Ladhood. Can't we do better than this. 

Ray Travez

To add a couple of things- I liked Tim Renkow's Jerk (BBC), though it has its flaws. Might be only me here who likes it! Also want to mention the podcast Three Bean Salad which I discovered through CaB. Needs a mention even though it's not TV- it's current, it's British and it's consistently funny.

steveh

I know I have completely failed to interest anyone here in it before, but I still think Sliced from Samson Kayo and PhoneShop creator Phil Bowker is really underrated. On Dave / UKTV Play.

Series 1 episode 3, where Joshua (Kayo) and his mate Ricky (Theo Barklem-Biggs) get invited to a sex party is great for sheer daftness and also features Martin Trenaman and Phil Daniels. Series 2 episode 2 is a nicely observed, more character-driven one following the messy aftermath of a night out celebrating his co-worker Naomi (Weruche Opia)'s birthday round the streets of SE London. Not all the other episodes land but I properly laughed a lot more at this than most other recent UK shows.

Mostly agree with the above but would recommend people try and get on board with The Delightful Sausage.

Their main podcast is Tiredness Kills, which is a good variation on the League of Gentlemen's world building and characters (Icklewick instead of Royston Vasey). Also reminiscent of Colin Hoult's Carnival of Monsters.

Otherwise they are still mostly live, occasional skits on other shows, youtube and on audio at the moment, but they did appear slightly in character on Alma's Not Normal.

Tags: