Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:54:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What Non-New Films Have You Seen? (2018 Edition)

Started by zomgmouse, January 07, 2018, 12:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Nine years ago Glebe posted this:

Quote from: Glebe on June 04, 2009, 02:23:42 AM
Watched Tekkonkinkreet the other night-and blimey, I was fairly impressed. Not only is it visually astonishing, it also gradually gains real depth and substance as it goes along. Very good indeed.

And I can finally confirm that his review is absolutely spot on (as I know many wondered if he might be lying again for no doubt evil reasons). Whilst extremely engaging it did feel a bit flimsy in the first half but it develops in to something really special in the second half, and it's packed with stunning imagery throughout, if I ever get the chance to see it at the cinema I'll definitely do so.

itsfredtitmus

Shattered Image, Ruiz

oh mate what the fuck was this
something that would be on at 4 in morning on a channel that nobody watches x hal hartley x lynch

Famous Mortimer

Cast A Deadly Spell

Mentioned in another thread on here, cos it has the Gremlins popping up for a guest appearance. It's not bad! Directed by the same bloke who made "Edge of Darkness" and a couple of Bond films, with a very young Julianne Moore as a bit of a femme fatale. Don't take my word for it, watch it on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NsYt8gpD7s&t=3282s

I'd never heard of it before (although my friends had); but even some of them weren't aware they did a sequel, "Witch Hunt", directed by Paul Schrader and starring Dennis Hopper as HP Lovecraft (with Penelope Ann Miller, Eric Bogosian and Julian Sands in it too). Blimey!

Dr Syntax Head

United 93. Far better than I thought it was going to be, more emotional than I expected.

zomgmouse

The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes. Not the greatest Billy Wilder film but a nice light mystery. I was impressed that they created an entirely new plot rather than adapting an existing one, though I think that first vignette was extraneous. Solid cast overall including Christopher Lee as Mycroft who was quite good.

Repo Man. Another one off the gap list. How had it taken me so long to see this? This was amazing. Such attitude and also really funny and really weird. I have a feeling this will become a five-star film for me over the years.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: zomgmouse on January 13, 2018, 09:39:43 PM

Repo Man. Another one off the gap list. How had it taken me so long to see this? This was amazing. Such attitude and also really funny and really weird. I have a feeling this will become a five-star film for me over the years.

That is one very special film. I've lost count of how many times I've seen it and it's always brilliant

Small Man Big Horse

Rock and Rule (1983) - Futuristic furry fantasy featuring the music of Cheap Trick, Lou Reed, Debbie Harry and Iggy Pop. in this strange Canadian effort an aged Mick Jagger type is looking for the perfect voice to help him open a portal in to another dimension, though it's far from being a serious affair, mixing slapstick and camp villainy with some interesting visuals and all round oddness. It's slightly lacking in substance to make it something truly special but there's certainly a great deal to like about it. 7.4/10

Dr Rock

In Bruges

I'd be saving this one after it kept getting such good word of mouth since its release, so figured it would be good. It was much better than good. You've probably all seen it, so I won't review it, except to say it was very funny in places, and that wasn't what I was expecting. The two central performances were so good. Can't fault it except perhaps Colin Farrell's character seemed more unkillable than Rasputin at the end, which was a bit unbeliavable.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Dr Rock on January 14, 2018, 12:26:44 AM
Colin Farrell's character seemed more unkillable than Rasputin at the end, which was a bit unbeliavable.

It's been a while since I've seen it, but we don't know that he doesn't die, do we? 

itsfredtitmus

posting this here because I know I wont get a reply in the technology help thread for a week

A film I wanna see is only available on the american amazon video
can you buy films on the american amazon video and then watch it? surely there'd be some location copyright shite ala Netflix right? 

Dr Rock

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on January 14, 2018, 12:35:58 AM
It's been a while since I've seen it, but we don't know that he doesn't die, do we? 

No we don't. But the with multiple gunshots he received towards the end, it seemed unlikely he would stand a chance of surviving as long as he did to get to an ambulance.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on January 14, 2018, 12:40:39 AM
can you buy films on the american amazon video and then watch it? surely there'd be some location copyright shite ala Netflix right?

I don't know for sure, but probably yes, there would be some location shite.  I imagine they also have a similar proxy detector.

Which film?  Would it be as cheap (or cheaper) to just get it on DVD?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Dr Rock on January 14, 2018, 12:41:59 AM
No we don't. But the with multiple gunshots he received towards the end, it seemed unlikely he would stand a chance of surviving as long as he did to get to an ambulance.

Well, dunno - on the one hand suspension of disbelief for a film, on the other hand people have survived multiple gunshot wounds, so...

Still more believable than Leia turning into Superman/Mary Poppins.  Even with that being in a distant fantasy galaxy.

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on January 14, 2018, 12:48:34 AM
I don't know for sure, but probably yes, there would be some location shite.  I imagine they also have a similar proxy detector.

Which film?  Would it be as cheap (or cheaper) to just get it on DVD?
lowest dvd I can find goes for 50 quid

zomgmouse

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on January 13, 2018, 09:47:46 PM
That is one very special film. I've lost count of how many times I've seen it and it's always brilliant

I'm watching it with commentary now. Lots of fun. I was worried it'd be the type of cult classic that's actually very dumb and boring and doesn't live up to its reputation but thankfully this was a fucking blast.

Quote from: Dr Rock on January 14, 2018, 12:26:44 AM
In Bruges

I'd be saving this one after it kept getting such good word of mouth since its release, so figured it would be good. It was much better than good. You've probably all seen it, so I won't review it, except to say it was very funny in places, and that wasn't what I was expecting.

I remember thinking the opposite when I watched it - I'd seen a trailer for it when I went to see Hot Fuzz and the trailer was very upbeat and made it out to be a silly action comedy, so when I sat down to watch it and it was a brooding offbeat piece of darkness I was very put off. Until I looked back on it and realised I actually loved it a lot. This was probably the point at which I consciously started avoiding trailers.

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on January 14, 2018, 01:00:04 AM
lowest dvd I can find goes for 50 quid

What's the film and do you want someone to "find" it for you?

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: zomgmouse on January 14, 2018, 01:19:17 AM
What's the film and do you want someone to "find" it for you?
Chameleon Street!
I've tried all the usual surface level torrent sites to no avail

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on January 14, 2018, 03:08:36 AM
Chameleon Street!
I've tried all the usual surface level torrent sites to no avail

it appears to be on the one whose initials are a bit feline.

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 14, 2018, 03:57:53 AM
it appears to be on the one whose initials are a bit feline.
DON'T KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS

St_Eddie

Personally, I've never had much trouble locating films online by simply typing the following into Google: '[INSERT FILM TITLE HERE] putlocker'.

EDIT: Sadly, trying said method for Chameleon Street seems to throw up a bunch of malware infested sites, so I wouldn't recommend it in this particular case.  I guess that it really must be a relatively obscure film, as my aforementioned method works 95% of the time.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on January 14, 2018, 12:50:59 AM
Well, dunno - on the one hand suspension of disbelief for a film, on the other hand people have survived multiple gunshot wounds, so...

It's only a minor criticism, I loved the movie and can go with the idea that is is conceivable to survive multiple gunshot wounds.

zomgmouse

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 14, 2018, 08:20:52 AM
Personally, I've never had much trouble locating films online by simply typing the following into Google: '[INSERT FILM TITLE HERE] putlocker'.

EDIT: Sadly, trying said method for Chameleon Street seems to throw up a bunch of malware infested sites, so I wouldn't recommend it in this particular case.  I guess that it really must be a relatively obscure film, as my aforementioned method works 95% of the time.

I usually go to alluc.ee for searching places to stream and download stuff. Much of the time it points you to a site called openload.co which is spectacularly filled with things often even torrents won't have. Though even then some rarer stuff is nowhere to be seen/only to be seen on private trackers that I can't be bothered downloading from.

I was actually thinking of starting a "hard to find films and why don't we" thread in the style of the one in the comedy forum, would anyone be up for that?

itsfredtitmus

Ooooohhh I'll try that out zomgmouse! I always forget about kickass

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 14, 2018, 08:20:52 AM

I've noticed sites like putlocker are pretty much extinct in 2018 or are filled with those redirect viruses if you click on anything

greenman

Finally got around to watching a DVD on Ida I'v had knocking about for a year, you could say its a little clichéd in its subject mater perhaps, pretty much a checklist for expected eastern Europe arthouse cinema(black and white, the holocaust, nuns, beat up commie cars, jazz, etc) but ultimately I think its carried off well enough to rise above becoming any kind of cliche. I'm struggling to think of many films that are compositionally as strong, you could pause it at pretty much any moment and end up with a very interesting still image, Agata Kulesza is excellent in it as well selling built up resentment/guilt without chewing the scenery.

zomgmouse

Repo Man must be the only film where the number of letters in the film's title matches the number of letters in the director's name

REPO MAN
ALEX COX

Are there any others?

Dr Rock

itsfredtitmus

has anyone ever seen alex cox's i'm a juvie delinquent - jail me? it's an interesting nathan barley-esque curio

Dr Rock