Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:14:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Topic: Top of the Pops on BBC Four - Thread Two.

Started by Dr Rock, August 26, 2018, 02:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzby

Quote from: Captain Z on May 09, 2020, 10:18:57 PM
Didn't know about that, who got there first?
See the newspaper article I linked to - Hemstock created it, the Pickles put it out and then ran with the concept, getting other DJs to do further Jive Bunny mixes and cutting Hemstock out of the royalties. Hemstock had offered it to Tony Prince at DMC first, but he turned it down as he felt it was too corny.

Captain Z

Sorry, I got that, I thought you meant the Tidy Trax logo was ripped off from somewhere else?

Campbell Soupe

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 09, 2020, 09:45:18 PM
For an actress, Liza Minnelli does a horrific job of trying to sell that performance.

Her performance of this on Wogan, with PSB is a lot more fun - Minnelli camping it up to the max, while Neil and Chris attempt to stay in character, tapping away in front of their massive live rig...

buzby

Quote from: Captain Z on May 09, 2020, 11:42:52 PM
Sorry, I got that, I thought you meant the Tidy Trax logo was ripped off from somewhere else?
well, not wanting to state the obvious, but Music Factory's Martin Smith ripped it off from the Keep Britain Tidy 'Tidyman' logo, after Lee 'Amadeus Mozart' Marlow saw it on the side of a can of Tango, on the basis that every time someone saw it they owudl think of the label.. Mozart even uses Tidyman as a pseudonym for doing remixes for the label.

jenna appleseed

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on May 14, 2020, 02:44:28 PM
BBC4 is to be axed.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/18449216.bbc-four-channel-to-axed-cash-strapped-corporation/

OH FOR FUCKS SAKE. (instant reaction - not read link)
well (if true/actually happens) that's even less reason for me to bother re plugging my telly in.
-

re earlier posts - was it just me who was traumatized as a child by the bloke in an evil bunny head who'd pop up in Jive Bunny promo photos in Fast Forward? (didn't watch TOTP yet back then)

(Please don't sue me Mr. Bunny).

Cliff vs SAW

The horror, the horror, the horror

Jockice

Quote from: jenna appleseed on May 14, 2020, 11:32:06 PM
OH FOR FUCKS SAKE. (instant reaction - not read link)
well (if true/actually happens) that's even less reason for me to bother re plugging my telly in.
-

re earlier posts - was it just me who was traumatized as a child by the bloke in an evil bunny head who'd pop up in Jive Bunny promo photos in Fast Forward? (didn't watch TOTP yet back then)

(Please don't sue me Mr. Bunny).

I was traumatised by it as an adult mate.

Er, allegedly.

sweeper

Quote from: Jockice on May 09, 2020, 11:25:33 PM
I thought that Liza Minelli performance was brilliant. I seem to be alone in this though.

I'm with you, it's great. She seems genuinely unhinged at points, especially when she stares into the camera and wipes her chin.

One of the best things that's been on TOTP reruns of late. 

daf

17 August 1989: Presenters: Nicky Campbell & Anthea 'Cocaine' Turner

(11) BLACK BOX – Ride On Time
Right Old Mime
(31) JODY WATLEY WITH ERIC B & RAKIM – Friends (video)
(5)   MARTIKA – Toy Soldiers
(4)   ALICE COOPER – Poison (video)
- - - - - - - - - - - (breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(39) STARLIGHT – Numero Uno
(40) ALYSON WILLIAMS – I Need Your Lovin'
(38) THEN JERICO – Sugar Box
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
(24) FUZZBOX – Self
(23) NENEH CHERRY – Kisses On The Wind

(26) QUEEN – The Invisible Man (video)
(1)   JIVE BUNNY & THE MASTERMIXERS – Swing The Mood (video)
(36) ADEVA – Warning (video / credits)

Norton Canes

How magnanimous of Dr Robert to give Single Of The Week to a song he wrote.

non capisco

Watching this now and struck by the sickening realisation that at some point later in this bedevilled year my hair will probably end up looking like that of the singer from Then Jerico. And he's quite a good looking lad and still couldn't pull it off. What chance, CaB, have I?

Norton Canes

A pretty good episode that, litigious leporidae notwithstanding. Ersatz eccentricity from Martika, an entertaining lesser-seen promo from Percy Thrower and the Shredded Glutes, a brilliantly beefy showing from Adeva, Katrin Quinol grooving it up on Black Box lead vocals with... hang on! She's got nothing on her top half but a bra! That's disgraceful - doesn't she know there might be men watching? [cough, splutter, harrumph etc.] Anyway, I had to laugh at Fuzzbox's Vix groping around on the floor for one of her contact lenses, after she... wait a minute! She's got nothing on under that skimpy top except a bra!! That's disgraceful, how dare she present her bra to the world in this manner?! [harrumph, hack, splutter] Thank goodness for the lovely Neneh Cherry and her inventive performance of Kisses On The Wind, with... I say, hold it right there! That other singer, she's got nothing hiding her bra! Disgraceful! What on earth... [cough, splutter, hack, rage etc.]

non capisco

I hope Jive Bunny died screaming in his hutch alone one night in the mid 90s, like my sister's pet rabbit Maude.

non capisco

I think I assumed Betty Boo was actually American back in 1989, she sounds like someone doing an impression of Janice from 'Friends'.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

That Fuzzbox single is horrible, and yer woman on lead vocals all but does a pole dance in her performance. Xxsex gets exploited, indeed. I regret sticking up for 'em in previous posts now.  :(

Pink Sunshine was a legitimate banger. Self was not.

daf

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Jo from Fuzzbox no longer with us, of course. Passed away from cancer in 2012.

pigamus

Vickie Perks, Neneh Cherry and Betty Boo. Goodness me. Not too many harsh beatings with the ugly stick handed out there.

DrGreggles

Quote from: pigamus on May 16, 2020, 09:36:43 PM
Betty Boo

She arrived at the perfect time for me, being in my early teens...

kalowski

Gulftastic

Quote from: pigamus on May 16, 2020, 09:36:43 PM
Vickie Perks, Neneh Cherry and Betty Boo. Goodness me. Not too many harsh beatings with the ugly stick handed out there.

And you left out Martika!

Jockice

Quote from: Gulftastic on May 17, 2020, 10:48:58 AM
And you left out Martika!

All I could remember about Martika (apart from that song about her kitchen) was a story in the tabloids about her smoking a fag on stage at the Brits and setting a bad example to her young fans. I could only vaguely remember the event myself and thought she must have won an award, but no, she was presenting one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1qsglA7f2M

A dead heat between Simply Red and The KLF. What sort of madness is that?

DrGreggles

Martika made an excellent backup in 1989, for when Betty Boo was unavailable.

daf

24 August 1989: Presenters: Jakki Brambles & Mark Goodier

(11) THE BEATMASTERS featuring BETTY BOO – Hey DJ I Can't Dance To That Music You're Playing
(13) LISA STANSFIELD – This Is The Right Time
(19) ALYSON WILLIAMS – I Need Your Lovin'
(17) STARLIGHT – Numero Uno (video)

(24) THEN JERICO – Sugar Box
(23) BON JOVI – Lay Your Hands On Me (video)
(18) ADEVA – Warning (video)
(10) CLIFF RICHARD – I Just Don't Have The Heart (video)
(1)   JIVE BUNNY & THE MASTERMIXERS – Swing The Mood (video)
(28) DONNA SUMMER – Love's About To Change My Heart (video / credits)

Sebastian Cobb

Another colour by numbers SAW track that is an insult to Donna Summer's talent, there.

DrGreggles

I actually think that Cliff's song is one of the better SAW singles of that time, but that might be more of a tallest dwarf sort of thing.

Norton Canes

For once the dubious honour of 'Worst single in the episode' falls not to Jive Bunny, but to Starlight's execrable 'Numero Uno'. Fuck I hated that piano-led Italo Disco sound with its howling vocals. Thankfully Black Box were around to show them how to do it properly (what?!)

Good to see Lisa Stansfield rocking the 'Thirteenth Doctor done right' look.

Gulftastic

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 17, 2020, 01:15:43 PM
I actually think that Cliff's song is one of the better SAW singles of that time, but that might be more of a tallest dwarf sort of thing.

Cliff has never done an original or dangerous track in his whole career, but no one can jump on a bandwagon quite like him.