Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,797
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 04:26:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Sarah Records and Twee

Started by lactating man nips, April 17, 2006, 01:24:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lactating man nips

Is anyone interested in sarah records and twee pop?. I have dipped my toe in the water with albums by the Orchids and Heavenly. Heavenly vs Satan and Striving for the lazy perfection are particularly favourites of mine. I've got some stuff by talulah gosh as well but Ive not really listened to it properly yet.

There is a slightly confusing history of the Sarah label at this page http://www.twee.net/labels/sarah.html

I was going to post some tracks but I cant get it to work :(

Neil

Gah, I think I just this morning deleted Pristine Christine by The Sea Urchins from the server...and it is, of course, the first ever record released on Sarah Records.  Ah, it's still online after all!

The Sea Urchins - Pristine Christine

Magic. That truly is a perfect pop song...not the perfect pop song, but a perfect pop song, and you couldn't imagine any other track kicking off Sarah Records. I really adore how it swoops and bends.  Yeah, I love Sarah and tweepop, and I have a real soft spot for the likes of Heavenly, The Field Mice, Sugargliders, East River Pipe etc.  I started digging out all my Sarah Records stuff just a few months ago, but got distracted before I could get into a full-on binge.  I was also trying to collect as many Sarah Record releases as I possibly could with a view to accumulating a full collection, but gave that up until I can get a new hard drive.  I think I'll try and dig out all the Sarah Records compilations now though, along with the ep's that I've got.

I would fucking love to set up my own label like Sarah.  Incidentally, have you heard an American band called Dressy Bessy?  They're very twee too, although they've toughened up their sound a bit on their last two records...but they still bring Heavenly to mind from time to time, particularly on the early stuff.  They're great:

Dressy Bessy - I Saw Cinnamon

And remember!  If you're an A you will see, you'll get chucked and end up unhappy.

Ciarán2

I quite like The Field Mice. Just to mention a track, "Landmark" is quite representative, I think.

I do like twee (which is really an indie subgenre, isn't it?), I like to stick on the C-86 album once in a while. But I couldn't listen to that stuff too often. Belle and Sebastian are getting away from their twee past a bit now aren't they? Isobel Campbell's "Amorino" was a twee-step too far, for me. So I'm hesitant to get that album she's made with Mark Lanegan.

Melth

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AH5A2TB1

A lovely example of the genre. A couple more twee-uploads to come from my other computer.  I'm off to see DB at the end of the month.

Neil

Oh, shit.  They were talking about doing their first UK tour round the start of the year there, but I haven't checked their board or site in ages.  After seeing your post I excitedly looked up their site and...ARGH, they're not coming to Norn Iron seemingly.  BALLACKS!  Well, I hope you enjoy it Melth, I've read lots of favourable reports about their live shows.

EDIT: On the upside, the Electrified video is on Youtube : Electrified!

EDIT:  God, that's great, I do love that song.  Got me as excited as I was today when I stuck on Operation Heavenly.

Neil

Cor, I just searched for Heavenly and didn't get anything, but Talulah Gosh gets you the vid to their self-titled song, and Space Manatee from Operation Heavenly, faaaaantastic...

Heavenly

Talulah Gosh

EDIT:  Small Consolation by Boyracer.

Heh, what a site that is...I'm knackered at the mo, been up for 30 hours sorting out a new sleep pattern.  And now I couldn't be more awake!

Oh wow, Dressy Bessy playing "It Happens All The Time" live.  I've never been able to find any DB boots, the nearest I've got is queing for a Peel session at Maida Vale, and I've barely got dick all after months of patient waiting.

14 Iced Bears - Balloon Song

Duffy

Whadda ya know, I just noticed this on the hard drive:

Dressy Bessy - Peel Session, Maida Vale, 7th. August 2002 (28.4Mb, 128K, 31:04)

Tracklisting

Neil

Fab, thanks Duffy, yer a star!

lactating man nips

Thanks for all those lovely links. I'd not heard Dressy Bessy before, they are more rockier than heavenly, I liked electrified, I'll have to check out some more of their stuff. I'm really suprised by what you can find on youtube.

Have you guys heard of the softies? Ive only heard a few of their tracks but they have a real heavenly vibe about them.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=P0MFFJA4

Heres beautiful liar by the orchids too.

http://www.filefactory.com/?126819

Neil

That Dressy Bessy Peel Session is marvellous, thanks again Duffy!  Really appreciate it, I'd been in the queue for it for literally months, and didn't think I'd ever get hold of it.  Ah, they're brill, always bring a big grin to my face when I stick em on.

EDIT:  Heh, good of Peel to have got them to do another number.

Neil

I'm not letting this thread die yet.  Here's a couple of tracks I just stuck in SDJ:

Action Painting! - Mustard Gas

The Field Mice - If You Need Someone

I'm surprised there hasn't been some vitriol in this thread, actually...from people who hated the weedy tweeness of most of Sarah's output.  Or from people who found the label intensely irritating.  It wasn't just a record label, they had a manifesto, they stuck two fingers up to all the other labels and said 'this is how you do it!', and then they backed up their words with some incredible music, and with strongly-held principles.  Sarah could only have come from the fanzine scene.  They thought the likes of Creation started out ok, but then ended up ripping off their fans with 12-inches, limited editions etc.  Sarah Records stood for pop, and for the 7-inch single.  And they released some fucking good pop music.

Brutus Beefcake

I would probably inject some vitriol but I've never heard of Sarah.

Neil

Bump.  Heh, was just searching for more Thelonious Monk vids and this little gem came up as the first result:

I'm a real Amelia Fletcher fanboy, so that's made my day.  Also:  What a guitar solo!  Downloading the record this comes from via Oink now, can't wait.

EDIT:  Shit!  Different album.  Shame, as I'm absolutely loving that song.

lactating man nips

Oooh nice find Neil. Have you seen these videos? I strayed upon them a while back and just found seeing the assorted heavenly crew chatting however inanely quite fascinating. Isn't Cathy Rogers adorable. I don't think I'm familiar with the other bands though I dare say you probably will be!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ITIRC9YI78

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffy8nrQa2Kk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVH04_38q6I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLFegREF-6A

Also, are you aware the Orchids have reformed and are releasing a new album? I'm going to their comeback gig in early March, can't wait!

Neil

Wooooaaaah!!  Great find!  And he has one listed here which I think you left out, must go through his profile tomorrow:

And had no idea about the Orchids reforming...must check for dates over here.  I can't wait to get my new PC next week, I'll finally have space to get the entire Sarah catalogue together.

EDIT:  I must marry Cathy Rogers.

Ciarán2

Neil have you ever heard The 6ths' album "Wasps' Nests"? Amelia Fletcher does a "turn" on it called "Looking For Love (In The Hall Of Mirrors)". I'm not sure I have a copy anymore, I'll have a look when I get home and if I find it I'll upload it for you.

Neil

Yeah, I've got all The 6ths stuff, ditto The Pooh Sticks and whoever else, but Brilliant Corners was a new one on me.  Thanks anyway though, appreciated.