Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 12:03:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New singles, Fred. [Start new threads for new singles please]

Started by the midnight watch baboon, November 29, 2006, 03:24:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the midnight watch baboon

Right, having been laying in bed horizontally all day, nursing a rather malevolent migraine, I decided to soothe mah aching heed by listening to that popular youth station Radio One. Listen in to what them kids are currently downloading in their droves. A mixed bag! Some great, some odd, some Ordinary Boys...

The Killers- Bones A good start. At first the lyrics seemed bland, nursery-rhymey and uninspired but its grown on me big time. The intro is now as instantly recognisable to me as my dog's particular poo smell. Equally as good as When You Were Young, even the 'taches are slightly alluring. Slightly.

Justin Timberlake- Something or Other Christ! A high-pitched, Jacko-aping falsetto lays itself on the line to be sniggered at, until a few listens' in whereby I've found myself thinking it's a great tune. Bollocks! I need to hate something. Ooh it's..

Gwen Stefani- Yodel-ay-yee thingy Wow. G.Stef takes on some bizarre caterwauling Musical thang and, despite the warped rapping, seemingly-ill-fitting military drum rolls and inclusion of yodeling still manages to churn out another thoroughly likeable single.

The Feeling- I Love it when you Call Huzzah, something I genuinely dislike. Pretty much. Despite their previous singles being as catchy as a parachuting sticky bun- in an annoying kinda way, with lyrics about 'Aunties in a headlock' et al, the inclusion of backing vocals telling us that 'he loves it when you call' make me want to stab labradors. And I've got a labrador. Cross-breed.

Right, anyone else have opinions to share on the current crop of charty songs... I also currently love the new Fratellis tune, and grudgingly kinda like that 'Detroit-a lovely city' thing. And that Ordinary Boys' Cyndi Lauper cover was poo. Apologies for not knowing the titles of most of the songs mentioned above.

variant

I think that 'Hands Up For Detroit' err..'song' was a big pile of poop.

The Feeling - 'I love it when you call' - anyone listen to this and think about the dance routine thats so begging to be done for it?

Ciarán2

Excellent idea for a thread!

A couple of singles in the charts at the moment, then...

NEW 18. "I Love It When You Call" The Feeling
This is the fourth best single from their recent album, and I believe it to be a right catchy little piece of power pop. They're not at all hip, and liking their record so much makes me mull over the question of fashion. I think that other non-hipster Neil Finn once said that there's nothing more groundbreaking than a great tune, and I tend to agree. The Feeling are a bit like The Lightning Seeds in that sense, they'll never be cool, but they care about choruses, breeziness and sing-a-long-ability.

v 32. "Jump" Madonna
My favourite single in the charts at the moment. It reached number 8 three weeks ago. I included this in the Verbwhores' Top 1000 Singles Thread. Really, "Confessions On A Dancefloor" is an extraordinary album, and "Jump" might be its best track.

Brutus Beefcake

I have heard Jump, it sounded like Madonna-by-numbers.

CaledonianGonzo

I 'think' I might quite like that Amy Winehouse number.  'Rehab', is it?  I dunno, it was just one when I was doing the dishes and I thought it was OK.  JK & Joel didn't say who it was, though, the bawbags.

The rest of the top 40 is total horrorshow.  In fact, most of my least favourite artistes of the last 20 years are represented in some shape or form.  In fact, let's play Hatred Bingo:

Take That
Justin Timberlake
Westlife
Christina Aguilera
Nelly Furtado
My Chemical Romance
Robbie Williams
Red Hot Chili Peppers
U2
Green Day
Faithless
Pink
George Michael
P Diddy

House!

And the stuff that I've not mentioned is things like Baby Spice's cover of Downtown.  Bah, and indeed, humbug!

<Edited>

Quote from: "variant"I think that 'Hands Up For Detroit' err..'song' was a big pile of poop.

I wouldn't admit to liking it anywhere else but here, behind my simian mask.

rjd2

QuoteNelly Furtado
I like Nelly Furtardo lots and her new tune is lovely.
QuoteMy Chemical Romance
Kasabaian hate them because they denied them a number one spot they definely got my respect.They are a bit cack though.
QuoteP Diddy
You take Diddy seriously? Diddy is like Westwood rubbish but totally hilarious if you listen to him tongue in cheek.

The new Jay Z song while breaking my cliche alarm more than once is quite good though.

chand

Quote from: "Ciarán"NEW 18. "I Love It When You Call" The Feeling
This is the fourth best single from their recent album, and I believe it to be a right catchy little piece of power pop. They're not at all hip, and liking their record so much makes me mull over the question of fashion. I think that other non-hipster Neil Finn once said that there's nothing more groundbreaking than a great tune, and I tend to agree. The Feeling are a bit like The Lightning Seeds in that sense, they'll never be cool, but they care about choruses, breeziness and sing-a-long-ability.

But The Feeling are so fucking twee they make The Lightning Seeds look like Rage Against The Machine. I think it was Adam Buxton who said that 'Never Be Lonely' sounded like they were singing to a little kitten, called Malcolm. When he sings the line 'I thought you liiiiiked me' in 'Fill My Little World' I just wanna grab them all and take them to a rough bar somewhere so they can eye up birds and have a fight about football or something. As it is, they sound like they could have a fight with the weakest of The Bluetones, and lose. It's not helped by the fact that I don't feel their tunes are particularly strong either.

The Plunger

Oi, leave The Bluetones out of this ! The Feeling are, however, utter utter pish. Their music sounds so formulated and obviously aimed at some kind of 'Guilty Pleasure' market.

Cack Hen

I know I'm almost certainly alone on this, but that My Chemical Romance single is the shit. I can't believe they actually did something more over-the-top than Helena.

It's cack in an obvious way, but it's such a nice change to hear a band not being boring.

chand

Quote from: "The Plunger"Oi, leave The Bluetones out of this ! The Feeling are, however, utter utter pish.

Ah, don't get me wrong, I love The Bluetones. The Feeling just occasionally remind me of a wetter and, well, less good version of them.

variant

Quote from: "CaledonianGonzo"Pink

I like Pink. Is that wrong? I have even seen her live. 3 times in fact (although one was at a festival).

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: "variant"I like Pink. Is that wrong?

Course not.  Would never try to say that liking one band/artists over another is right or wrong.  She's just one of a select few artists who I have an unceasing, blind hatred of.  Along with the rest of that list I quoted up there, there are a few people I  just completely fail to be objective about.  Even if Pink or P Diddy were to bring out an early 21st century equivalent of Good Vibrations or something, a song almost inarguably great, I'd still probably hate it.  People would I say that I'm missing out, and they'd be right.  

But, to force an unsuitable analogy, Imelda Marcos is designing jewellery at the moment.  It may be pretty, but I sure wouldn't wear any of it.

Likewise ,I'm sure that all the bands that I love and cherish have people that can't stand them.  And when those bands produce stuff that ain't that good, I still like it, make excuses for it and can think of reasons to justify it.  Part of being a fan, I guess.

This makes me both prejudiced and a curmudgeon, but there are certain artistes that just force the bile up to my teeth and I just happened to notice that a greater than average percentage of them seemed to be active in this week's top 40.

Though George Michael did write 'Last Christmas', and that's ace so maybe I was being unfair on him.  All the rest of them stand, though.

(edited to clarify my centuries)

mothman

I've just bought my wife a couple of Pink CDs for Christmas. For my own sanity I may need to also buy her a CD player for her car. . .

Oops, forgot I've started this fred thread. Although I was a bit downhearted after writing that I liked The Killers' 'Bones' single, after the mauling the Vegas lads got from 93.786% of VWs. I should've said this thread was for charts' singles as it's all I really listen to, being in the gloomy, afraid to experiment rut that I am. I really like the Just Jack single, which is about The Dog and Duck's karaoke machine, and mentions stars a lot. Singles should be numbered, not named, it'd make me appear much more professional. I remember numbers easily and will be distraught if the post counts are taken away. I can still see everybody's post count! Can't some other people? What other new songs are there... Ahh, Same Jeans by The View. I remembered a title! I hope. The singer from this bund of Scots feels the need to tell everyone he's been wearing the same jeans for FOUR DAYS. That's not particularly impressive, is it? I'd say 4 days is about the average that I wear jeans before washing them. Maybe he means he's worn them continously  for 4 days, that's a bit more yukky. I quite like it tho, it has a pleasing harmonica bit near the start. Mani says he like this band as they 'drink and fall over a lot'. So do baby animals, Russians and alcoholic ice-skaters, it's hardly the greatest indicator of musical talent. I'm fairly sure the above brace are the only singles released or about to be released, so toodle-ooh for now.

Mika- Grace Kelly

I have no idea if I like this, though I do perk up when it's on the radio. Sounds like a kerrazy Robbie Williams' number; the 'so I try a little Freh-edddieeeeeeeee' bit in particular. The 'Ker-ching' bit at the end renders the lyricist and performer a cunt, tho. I think.

Toad in the Hole

I find that Grace Kelly single annoys me out of my tree - I don't get the buzz around it.

Cunt comment seconded.  He looks like one too.

Paaaaul

That Just Jack single is just awful.

The irony of some dick complaining about X-Factor et al while sounding like a Stock Aitken Waterman produced The Streets is not lost on me.

quadraspazzed

I'm so glad I gave up* listening to music radio!

*(Apart from Lyric FM, the classical/jazz station here in Ireland)

chand

Quote from: "the midnight watch baboon"Mika- Grace Kelly

I have no idea if I like this, though I do perk up when it's on the radio. Sounds like a kerrazy Robbie Williams' number; the 'so I try a little Freh-edddieeeeeeeee' bit in particular. The 'Ker-ching' bit at the end renders the lyricist and performer a cunt, tho. I think.

I bet The Darkness are pissed off, having been unceremoniously dumped into the 'Where Are They Now?' file just recently, they must have thought they public had tired of knowingly OTT novelty rock.

2Pac feat. Ashanti & T.I. - 'Pac's Life'
Why? Seriously, leave the fucker alone now. It's so depressing when you flick on MTV and there's some new video cobbled together out of the same five pieces of live Pac footage.

The Killers - 'Read My Mind'
'I got my first real six-string
Bought it at the five-and-dime
Played 'til my fingers bled
It was summer of '69'

...and to think I half-heartedly stood up for you in that thread. For shame!

The Magic Numbers - 'This Is A Song'
I haven't actually heard this, and I don't even particularly dislike The Magic Numbers, but if you're gonna call your song that, you pretty much fucking deserve to suffer your otherwise inexplicably dwindling fanbase.

Keane- 'A Bad Dream'

These boys are making it too easy with song titles like that. So easy I can't be bothered.

quadraspazzed

Quote from: "chand"[2Pac feat. Ashanti & T.I. - 'Pac's Life'
Why? Seriously, leave the fucker alone now. It's so depressing when you flick on MTV and there's some new video cobbled together out of the same five pieces of live Pac footage.

Am I going mad or is there a new/recent Tupac albumy thing out called "A Decade of Silence"?

I assume it's an 'ironic' title... given that I've heard more Tupac since he died than when he was alive.

Ciarán2

I like the Just Jack single, the Mika single, The View's single, Justin Timberlake's single is his best since "Cry Me A River".

Brutus Beefcake

ccbaxter

I love the new Sophie Ellis-Bextor single, "Catch You" - sweet yet crunchy (the song, that is).