Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 02:13:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah

Started by asv, January 29, 2007, 03:16:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asv

Couldnt see a thread for this band, soz if there is one somewhere.

Second album, Some Loud Thunder, released today.  

I loved the first album to bits (obsessively so for a while this time last year) but have read mixed reviews about the new one (going to the Barrowlands gig on Saturday, Cold War Kids supporting along with Anthony Perkins's son Elvis).  

Have listened to the new one once through but seems (as many reviews suggest) to need a few listens to get into it fully (as with the first, although "Heavy Metal" stood out straight away then).  Stand-out for me so far on this one is "Satan Said Dance".

Any thoughts?

Neil

Don't know if I'll bother, as the first one singulary failed to live up to the hype.  4 or 5 decent songs does not a good record make.  Dour and unexciting in concert too - I only really went because Dr. Dog were supporting anyway.  And they were the much better act on the night, plus Easy Beat is an infintely better record.

I'd hoped CYHSY could pull their finger out and make a better follow-up, will be a shame if they've not managed to do so.

asv

I am worried about them as a live prospect, saw some of their set on the telly from T last year and they certainly didnt seem er, "up for it".

As for the new album, the first song (and title track) sounds like he's singing it underwater (thought it was my shonky CD player), and has a definite Talking Heads rhythm thing going on in the background (found myself sing "faster, faster, faster" along with it, is that "And She Was" I'm thinking of??).

Oh, and second track ("Emily Jean Stock") deffo has a "Do You Realize?"-esque sound to it, but Dave Fridmann has produced this one as well.

Sound like I hate it, but it is growing on me!

klaatu!

Again, I thought the first album was good but not outstanding. I bought it based on hearing 'Heavy Metal' and 'Upon this Tidal Wave of Young Blood' (both of which are excellent) and enjoyed it for the most part, but it didn't have much longevity.

As for the new album, I've only heard the two preview tracks that Pitchfork were hosting a while back*, but from what I've heard I quite admire the fact that they seem to have drifted a bit further left-field, rather than sticking to a relatively safe quirky-indie-pop formula. (Incidentally, John Earls' review on Teletext seemed to chastise them for throwing away the chance of becoming indie darlings and instead choosing to focus on Tangerine Dream-esque ambience.)

*Looks like one's still up. Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - Love Song No.7

asv

So, I saw then at the Barrowlands on Saturday and was very impressed.  The set was too short IMHO but was well balanced between new and older stuff, "Satan Said Dance" sounding awesome live and a storming "Heavy Metal" to finish.

Special mention to Elvis Perkins and Cold War Kids for good support slots.