Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:16:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Spider-man: Across the Spider-Verse (2023)

Started by surreal, June 02, 2023, 04:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

surreal

Can't believe there is no newer thread for this...

Incredible.  Absolutely blew me away in IMAX.  Sound, artwork, story, pacing, the lot.  Loved it, better than the first one which I didn't think was possible.  Cannot wait for part 3.

I'm sure people more familiar with the whole plethora of variants from the comics will be able to fill in some of the gaps, but I didn't feel I was missing out on much.  The animation just makes the whole multiverse thing a lot more palatable somehow.

Go see on the biggest screen you can find.

brat-sampson

Same. Just caught it this afternoon and I was stunned. I never expected it to look that good, to be that grand in scale, to be that interesting with the characters and variants etc.

Going into some DEEP spoilers:
Spoiler alert
I had no idea this was only a 'Part 1' kinda thing, but by the time they were heading back to their respective universes and still being chased, it was already feeling like there was a lot to resolve, and when he ended up on 42, I was struggling to understand how they planned to wrap this up... Turns out we'll have to wait. LOVED the Prowler twist, as I only picked up on it when the uncle said it wasn't him, but I'd been wondering where Miles 42 was meant to be. Thinking on it it's a little weird his mum ignored his TOTALLY different demeanor / hairstyle but whatever. Now when THE HELL is the 3rd one meant to come out?!
[close]

EDIT:
Spoiler alert
Ok, thank God, part 3 is out next March. Good.
[close]

Loved the
Spoiler alert
Glover
[close]
cameo.

Blown away is right, I haven't felt like this after a movie in a LONG time.

13 schoolyards

Someone I saw this with said it was basically like eating a bag of sugar and it's definitely got a lot going on, but it worked for me - both as a way of expressing the overload of existing in a multiverse, and as a metaphor for being a teen with a lot on your plate. Best superhero movie in quite a while.

Quote from: brat-sampson on June 02, 2023, 05:11:40 PMLoved the
Spoiler alert
Glover
[close]
cameo.

Ok, so
Spoiler alert
Glover was a "real-world" version of the Prowler, am I right? But then at the end we learn that in some universes, Morales himself is the Prowler. So was Glover actually playing Morales?
[close]

Replies From View

Haven't seen this yet but apparently it is very bad for your teeth.

madhair60

don't understand why they can't do a spider-man movie about him fighting one of his villains to stop some crime instead of this multiverse "infinite spider-men" meta wank stuff but i trust Lord and Miller despite my misgivings

surreal

Quote from: 13 schoolyards on June 02, 2023, 05:59:15 PMSomeone I saw this with said it was basically like eating a bag of sugar and it's definitely got a lot going on, but it worked for me - both as a way of expressing the overload of existing in a multiverse, and as a metaphor for being a teen with a lot on your plate. Best superhero movie in quite a while.

Ok, so
Spoiler alert
Glover was a "real-world" version of the Prowler, am I right? But then at the end we learn that in some universes, Morales himself is the Prowler. So was Glover actually playing Morales?
[close]

Spoiler alert
He was credited in the film as "Aaron Davis" who is the Prowler.  He appeared in Spider-man: Homecoming as the same character, very brief appearance.
[close]

brat-sampson

Quote from: madhair60 on June 02, 2023, 07:50:14 PMdon't understand why they can't do a spider-man movie about him fighting one of his villains to stop some crime instead of this multiverse "infinite spider-men" meta wank stuff but i trust Lord and Miller despite my misgivings

TBF the Spider-verse idea / trilogy predates the MCU reusing the idea for No Way Home / everything post-endgame. This is very much a sequel to the first one, rather than them just 'doing it again'.

Replies From View

It would take a certain kind of imagination and skill to tell a low key Spider-Man story without boring modern audiences.

madhair60

Replies From View

No Way Home seems to hint that they might go that route with their next films, but I somehow doubt they will.  It's easier to come up with wacky twists on everything than sober up and explore the inherent potential of friendly neighbourhood Spider-Man.

RetroRobot

Fuck me I didn't think they could top the first. Dead wrong.

Love how the first influenced animation and this one manages to somehow step up. Very excited for more!

Lord Mandrake

Mesmerising visually, some moments you just can't beleive what your seeing, random moments where you take it all in, truly captivating. 

There's just no way it needs to be that long. Too much breathe in the first act and then pacing issues, it became repetative (the music cues especially) and then at times, overload. I still loved it and my audience were clapping and shit.

Beagle 2

Saw it on IMAX today and my jaw was on the floor at times at how incredible it looked. To be honest I'd completely lost the thread HA I said thread by the end.

madhair60

i'm gonna see it on Imax next week, reactions are wild

Catalogue Trousers

Quote from: madhair60 on June 02, 2023, 07:50:14 PMdon't understand why they can't do a spider-man movie about him fighting one of his villains to stop some crime instead of this multiverse "infinite spider-men" meta wank stuff

But think of all the lovely, lucrative action figures that they couldn't make if they did that.

madhair60

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on June 03, 2023, 01:29:27 AMBut think of all the lovely, lucrative action figures that they couldn't make if they did that.

ha! yeah true. it's so cynical. still like I said I do trust Lord and Miller, and impressions have been enthusiastic

letsgobrian

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on June 03, 2023, 01:29:27 AMBut think of all the lovely, lucrative action figures that they couldn't make if they did that.

Regardless of how many characters there are in a Marvel thing you get 6 action figures. Weirdly one of them is the blink-and-you'll-miss-her
Spoiler alert
Cyborg Spider-Woman rather than Jess Drew or Pavitr Prabhakar
[close]

Putting Hasbro's perceived racism of the toy market aside, the film itself was fantastic.

Ties together its multiple themes with aplomb, especially
Spoiler alert
the parallels of the very real theme of letting go of parental expectations and the extraordinarily meta theme of not letting go of a fictional "canon".
[close]

RetroRobot

Really want the Spider Punk figure. He's great!

Magnum Valentino

I am so so pleased to have spotted THE BIG MAN in this.

Delighted we've a proper IMAX in Northern Ireland now as well as that was very much an "experience" like the lazy advertising tries to insist.

RetroRobot

Fucking love the villain too. Love
Spoiler alert
joke baddies ending up being a massive threat
[close]

Beagle 2

Ah the baddie was great, genuinely funny at first but also incredibly unsettling and creepy.

ZoyzaSorris

Took the kid to see this yesterday. Flipping hell it's quite sickeningly good isn't it, in terms of sheer artistry and quality of execution? Found these guys' older films a bit too much in terms of ADHD sugar frenzy whilst being clearly very accomplished, but the sheer size of the head and shoulders these spiderverse ones have in terms of visuals above anything else is bonkers. Also just a nice vibe, and clearly a labour of love too which just sits well. None of the glib wisecracking whedonism that infects much of comic book and children-orientated film whilst still being very funny in parts. These justify the hype for sure. How the hell are they possible to make for less than a billion dollars? How many people do they have doing the artwork when each frame seems to be an amazing piece in itself?

Replies From View

dead-ced-dead

Saw it yesterday. I try to refrain from hyperbole wherever possible, because I know in moment enjoyment may give way to small niggles and doubts later on, but, FUUUUUCK ME! THAT WAS AMAZING!

I like how most of the old crew (Peter B. Parker, Penni Parker etc) were side lined to show how much more this was Miles' story, while hinting
Spoiler alert
their importance for part 3, when Gwen showed up with the line-up who are going to rock up to save Miles and the multiverse.
[close]

Bad Ambassador

Saw this last night, loved it and have little to add other than the music sounded like a cross between TRON Legacy and The LEGO Movie.

bgmnts

Do you need to have seen any of the Marvel stuff to see this? I know there is a Latin kid spiderman but that's it.

Everyone here raving but I know seeing that level of visual richness in IMAX will make me sick so will wait for it to come out on telly, but I'm quietly intrigued.

Bad Ambassador

It's pretty important that you see the first one, but it's separate from all the other Marvel/Spider-Man movies.

Dr Rock

ZoyzaSorris

Care to elaborate? I find it hard to understand how anyone couldn't enjoy the insanely good look of the thing even if nothing else. I don't think anyone would claim it had the deepest most complex story in the world but I'd argue it really didn't need it.

Dr Rock