Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,327
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:24:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Spider-man: Across the Spider-Verse (2023)

Started by surreal, June 02, 2023, 04:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZoyzaSorris

Dr Rock

Lord Mandrake

That's like comparing paint by numbers with Picasso.

mjwilson

Will be really surprised if the third one is released on schedule.

Dr Rock

Gotta have a decent story tough. Sell me on the story.

Replies From View

Quote from: Dr Rock on June 06, 2023, 08:23:36 PMGotta have a decent story tough. Sell me on the story.

Once upon a time there was a spiderman

dead-ced-dead

The story is a comics fable, so it's simple in comparison to its animation, but no less well told for it, I felt.

Replies From View

Once upon a time there was a spiderman that when it went on a roof it did go into a crouch position and then its fingers went folded and "splewewew" suddenly webs came out and the spiderman did jump off

MoreauVasz

I clicked on the spoilery things in this thread and couldn't recognise a single name. Suspect this would be completely impenetrable to me, like watching an Iranian soap opera.

surreal

Quote from: mjwilson on June 06, 2023, 08:12:29 PMWill be really surprised if the third one is released on schedule.

Yeah me too - I saw a comment from Hailie Steinfeld (however you spell it) saying she's not recorded any dialogue for it yet and she is playing Gwen.  I'd be shocked if it wasn't delayed until at least Xmas 2024.  Apparently she recorded dialogue over 4 years for this second part, so they need to get a shift on...

Replies From View

Quote from: surreal on June 09, 2023, 10:45:57 AMApparently she recorded dialogue over 4 years for this second part, so they need to get a shift on...

Yes, ten minutes of audio per year is about average for these kinds of things.  Apparently she records her dialogue alongside the animators slowly creating all the visuals, so she arrives in the recording booth for the day, carefully goes "nnn" and that's it for another week.

surreal

Quote from: Replies From View on June 09, 2023, 11:00:50 AMYes, ten minutes of audio per year is about average for these kinds of things.  Apparently she records her dialogue alongside the animators slowly creating all the visuals, so she arrives in the recording booth for the day, carefully goes "nnn" and that's it for another week.

Yes, yes, very droll. Obviously she will be able to do it all at once, just seems a bit odd as I though that the performance when recording dialogue was integral to the animation "feel" - but maybe less important for a stylised movie like this.  They will definately have been working on both in tandem, as I read that the final chase scene alone took the full 4 years to complete animation work on.

Replies From View

I was actually being serious because she does do that.

Replies From View

I shall be watching this movie at some point as everyone has been saying it is so good.

Dr Rock

Replies From View

Quote from: Dr Rock on June 09, 2023, 12:55:55 PMJust don't expect much of a story

The Matrix Reloaded of the Spidleverse Urology, I shall presume.

ZoyzaSorris

The story is fine. It's just a nice straightforward little tale told very well with decent characters and some of the most insanely accomplished visuals ever created.

ZoyzaSorris

Quote from: MoreauVasz on June 09, 2023, 09:22:24 AMI clicked on the spoilery things in this thread and couldn't recognise a single name. Suspect this would be completely impenetrable to me, like watching an Iranian soap opera.

I don't have a clue about Spider-Man or comics in general and followed it with no problem. It's a cartoon for children. But an extreme pinnacle of that particular artform.

ZoyzaSorris

Oh, Nobody

Saw this today, kid making fart noises throughout had the right idea.

Looks nice, no story. Spider-Punk is great, Spidey India is fun, other spider people are also present. I did enjoy Ben Reilly overly explaining things we could see happening, classic 90s comics writing.

Spoiler alert
Found the Venom movie-verse cameo totally mystifying as it makes zero sense if you haven't seen Venom. After the Spot is like "This doesn't phase you at all? Used to seeing weird things?" I wonder if Venom was written as walking into the shop after Spot leaves. You know, an actual punchline.
[close]

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Replies From View on June 09, 2023, 03:18:24 PMThe Matrix Reloaded of the Spidleverse Urology, I shall presume.
Or The Empire Strikes Back. Cinematic blue balls aside, this was indeed rather splendid. I wouldn't say it particularly improves on the first one (and the method of rendering things out of focus by doubling the image is still annoying) but I remained enthralled throughout.

Random thoughts:

Why did Miles' dad go by Morales, when his surname was Davis in the first one?

Was the live-action woman in the corner shop someone famous? The film seemed to present her like her mere presence was funny, but maybe I was just meant to laugh at her lack of reaction to Spot's appearance. I'd have laughed head off if it had been Michelle Yeoh in a launderette.

"I am your nemesis!"

dead-ced-dead

I also thought of Empire as the most obvious comparison.
Spoiler alert
Ends on a bummer and everyone's gearing for a scrap.
[close]

letsgobrian

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on June 10, 2023, 11:51:51 AMWas the live-action woman in the corner shop someone famous? The film seemed to present her like her mere presence was funny, but maybe I was just meant to laugh at her lack of reaction to Spot's appearance. I'd have laughed head off if it had been Michelle Yeoh in a launderette.

She's the corner shop owner Mrs. Chen from the Tom Hardy Venom films.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: Oh, Nobody on June 09, 2023, 09:22:23 PMSaw this today, kid making fart noises throughout had the right idea.

Looks nice, no story. Spider-Punk is great, Spidey India is fun, other spider people are also present. I did enjoy Ben Reilly overly explaining things we could see happening, classic 90s comics writing.

Spoiler alert
Found the Venom movie-verse cameo totally mystifying as it makes zero sense if you haven't seen Venom. After the Spot is like "This doesn't phase you at all? Used to seeing weird things?" I wonder if Venom was written as walking into the shop after Spot leaves. You know, an actual punchline.
[close]

The Ben Reilly thing didn't land for me as a big part of the joke was he was self concerned and brooding and the whole point of Ben Reilly was that he was like the original fun wisecracking Peter because the actual Peter of the 1990s comics was self concerned and brooding and the editors wanted a clean break and a fun Spider-Man again.

He looked amazing though.

Timothy

Quote from: Dr Rock on June 06, 2023, 07:41:05 PMAnimation nice, story meh.

Saw the movie today and came here to post this. Beautifully made but quite dull.

beanheadmcginty

I've got to say, if you are someone who prioritises story to the point that this film does nothing for you then you might as well not bother with films. Just read books. They're full of amazing stories. This was absolutely fucking first class film. My eyes are still recovering.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on June 11, 2023, 12:57:04 AMI've got to say, if you are someone who prioritises story to the point that this film does nothing for you then you might as well not bother with films. Just read books. They're full of amazing stories. This was absolutely fucking first class film. My eyes are still recovering.

It reminds me of people who accused Mad Max: Fury Road of just being a movie about driving so far one way then driving back, as if the movie, missing the entirety of the themes or moods (which these types of accusations always do).

Timothy

I just found it a bit dull and too long. Mind started to drift after he
Spoiler alert
escaped the Spiderman Factory and I hated the, for me unexpected, cliffhanger ending.
[close]
I liked the first one better. Would rate that a 4/5 and this a 3/5.

Replies From View

beanheadmcginty