Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:02:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Spider-man: Across the Spider-Verse (2023)

Started by surreal, June 02, 2023, 04:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oh, Nobody

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on June 10, 2023, 03:37:56 PMThe Ben Reilly thing didn't land for me as a big part of the joke was he was self concerned and brooding and the whole point of Ben Reilly was that he was like the original fun wisecracking Peter because the actual Peter of the 1990s comics was self concerned and brooding and the editors wanted a clean break and a fun Spider-Man again.

He looked amazing though.

Yeah that's fair. I guess they just wanted a character to represent all 90s comics. Shoulda gone with that Peter Parker with a Cable arm.

phantom_power

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on June 11, 2023, 12:57:04 AMI've got to say, if you are someone who prioritises story to the point that this film does nothing for you then you might as well not bother with films. Just read books. They're full of amazing stories. This was absolutely fucking first class film. My eyes are still recovering.

Yeah, this is about the cinematic experience and the characters and their relationships to each other and themselves. The plot is just a vehicle for that. I don't know how you can see all the  parallels between being a parent and letting go versus protecting your children, being a child and wanting to be your own person while still living up to your parents' expectations, and being a superhero and doing what you think is right versus some sort of destiny or "canon" and find all that boring. The revelations about things that happen in the first film, and their repercussions going forward were really interesting as well

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: phantom_power on June 11, 2023, 06:10:26 PMYeah, this is about the cinematic experience and the characters and their relationships to each other and themselves. The plot is just a vehicle for that. I don't know how you can see all the  parallels between being a parent and letting go versus protecting your children, being a child and wanting to be your own person while still living up to your parents' expectations, and being a superhero and doing what you think is right versus some sort of destiny or "canon" and find all that boring. The revelations about things that happen in the first film, and their repercussions going forward were really interesting as well

Really well said, I keep trying to come in here and lay this out and giving up.

samadriel

Quote from: phantom_power on June 11, 2023, 06:10:26 PMYeah, this is about the cinematic experience and the characters and their relationships to each other and themselves. The plot is just a vehicle for that. I don't know how you can see all the  parallels between being a parent and letting go versus protecting your children, being a child and wanting to be your own person while still living up to your parents' expectations, and being a superhero and doing what you think is right versus some sort of destiny or "canon" and find all that boring. The revelations about things that happen in the first film, and their repercussions going forward were really interesting as well

Yes, I'm going to have to agree with you and, uh, @beanheadmcginty , the story is not enormously intricate, but it is interesting, and it's better than what they could've coasted on while boasting the brilliant visuals.

madhair60

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on June 11, 2023, 12:57:04 AMI've got to say, if you are someone who prioritises story to the point that this film does nothing for you then you might as well not bother with films. Just read books. They're full of amazing stories. This was absolutely fucking first class film. My eyes are still recovering.

too many spidermen!

Jack Shaftoe

I felt like there was about eight hours of story crammed into two, but not in a bad way. The only time I felt a needed a moment to catch up was the bit pretty much at the end
Spoiler alert
where Miles ends up in the wrong universe - although I knew something was going on because I happened to notice Miles' mum's eyes were green where they'd been brown before.
[close]

Led Souptin

Quote from: Jack Shaftoe on June 12, 2023, 08:32:03 AMI felt like there was about eight hours of story crammed into two, but not in a bad way. The only time I felt a needed a moment to catch up was the bit pretty much at the end
Spoiler alert
where Miles ends up in the wrong universe - although I knew something was going on because I happened to notice Miles' mum's eyes were green where they'd been brown before.
[close]

I thought the
Spoiler alert
wrong universe reveal
[close]
was always going to happen at somepoint as it was signposted pretty heavily from the start with the
Spoiler alert
spider from earth 42 and everyone constantly telling miles that he shouldn't have been spider man
[close]
so that scene was kind of frustatingly long for me, really dragging that reveal out at quite a late point of a 2hr20 film. That's literally my only complaint about the whole movie though because this was insane. So many time both my and my partner were sat there with our jaws to the floor staring at some of the most breathtaking animation and artistic choices.

Spoiler alert
The watercolours dripping down the walls when gwen is reconciling with her dad was beautiful and mindblowing
[close]

This is probably a by-product of the direction to make the film look like a comic book, but almost every shot in this film could have been a poster, or something i'd happily spend 10 minutes looking at in a gallery. beautiful stuff.

idunnosomename

Is there a Spider-verse created by spiderman 3 fart then jump with scooby doo laugh

phantom_power

Quote from: Led Souptin on June 12, 2023, 04:50:11 PM
Spoiler alert
The watercolours dripping down the walls when gwen is reconciling with her dad was beautiful and mindblowing
[close]

Spoiler alert
That bloom of pink in her blue room when she hugs her dad was beautiful
[close]

Magnum Valentino

Aye but that's not story but, is it? That's just colours.

DR ROCK THIS SATIRE IS DIRECTED AT YOU

Garam

This didn't have enough flying about Manhattan in it. Also it was like 45 minutes too long

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on June 10, 2023, 03:37:56 PMThe Ben Reilly thing didn't land for me as a big part of the joke was he was self concerned and brooding and the whole point of Ben Reilly was that he was like the original fun wisecracking Peter because the actual Peter of the 1990s comics was self concerned and brooding and the editors wanted a clean break and a fun Spider-Man again.

He looked amazing though.

My knowledge of Spider-Man is fairly sketchy but I read Spider-Man: Return Of The Black Cat last year and that has a Ben Reilly story in it where the fucker's absolutely miserable and very pissed off with Peter, so I guess they might have been basing it on that version of the character.

I absolutely loved this, my only complaint was that about a third of the way in it slowed down a little too much with Miles's Dad having a party on the roof and then grounding the kid and I didn't think it needed to go on for so long, but otherwise this was astonishing, I spent pretty much the whole of the second half astonished by how beautiful it was, and how inventive, the amount of fan service was almost absurd but I adored every second.

Not that this is a problem for the film, but standard cgi is just going to look embarrassing now. The trailer for Pixar's Elemental looked awful even before I saw the movie, but having just rewatched it feels so dated, and the script appears to be tedious as well so I think they might have a real stinker on their hands there.

surreal

Went to see this again. I think the last 20 minutes or so (from just after the big chase), the music and the pacing and the reveal, may be one of my favourite endings to a movie ever, just gives me chills. So atmospheric. Love it.

Memorex MP3

Very annoyed this only got a week in the imax with the following two weeks being solely transformers 5 and the flash

I'll see it in my local next week on a normal screen

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: surreal on June 14, 2023, 01:10:00 PMWent to see this again. I think the last 20 minutes or so (from just after the big chase), the music and the pacing and the reveal, may be one of my favourite endings to a movie ever, just gives me chills. So atmospheric. Love it.

I can't stop thinking about this movie, too. Certain images and scenes play rent free in my head.

Thursday

Did not know I was in for a "to be continued." honestly. but the whaaa? was undone by the needing a piss and worrying about how much longer it was going to take to wrap things up.

Agree with stunning film, meh story, and though I'm not really fussed on meh story I feel like there was some missed potential with it.

Also the audio mix was bad, even beyond what I expect from modern films, don't know if that's just a cinema issue though.

Lord Mandrake

No they had loads of complaints about the sound mix, especially Gwen's opening dialogue so they sent out a new mix after first blaming theatres/projectionists.

Replies From View

Quote from: Memorex MP3 on June 14, 2023, 01:56:09 PMVery annoyed this only got a week in the imax with the following two weeks being solely transformers 5 and the flash

I'll see it in my local next week on a normal screen

If you sit too close it'll emulate an imax quite perfectly.

Jerzy Bondov

Once Miles follows Gwen the momentum this has is just unbelievable. A rocket ride to fun fun fun!

I preferred the first one because it had a complete story and more spider villains. I missed the big Kingpin. Also the live action stuff didn't work; they shouldn't have done it. But no this is a great film and I loved it.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on June 15, 2023, 12:47:18 AMNo they had loads of complaints about the sound mix, especially Gwen's opening dialogue so they sent out a new mix after first blaming theatres/projectionists.

I wondered what was going on there, and after five minutes went and told someone that the sound was terrible, with no idea that it wasn't the cinema's fault, but thankfully it improved after that.

Replies From View

How long before this makes its way to streaming?

Lord Mandrake

It's never coming to streaming ok? It's a one time deal.

El Unicornio, mang

madhair60

i liked this a lot, it's very good, and i think it's very good despite the fact that the "spider-verse" is a fucking tedious idea that genuinely adds nothing to the proceedings. it's amazing that it manages to be what i'd call a 4 out of 5 star movie despite the story being total dogshit and having extended sequences of people just droning the fuck on about "canon events" and oh my god that shit is so boring who the fuck cares. anyway yeah this was great, Hobie absolutely walked away with the movie - cunt's so fucking cool.

holyzombiejesus

Who was the live action black guy in one of those cage things?

phantom_power

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on June 17, 2023, 07:06:11 PMWho was the live action black guy in one of those cage things?

Spoiler alert
Donald Glover who was in Spiderman: Homecoming playing the same character briefly. He was rumoured to be Spiderman for ages and is apparently the facial reference for Miles Morales in Into the Spiderverse so is a bit of a multiple reference
[close]

JamesTC

How I think the canon event stuff will play out in the next one...

Spoiler alert
Because Miles should never have been Spider-man but for the dimension hopping spider, his father won't die because Miles is his own Spider-man and creates his own canon.
[close]

MojoJojo

Madhair will love this canon chat:
Spoiler alert
Pretty sure it will turn out that the whole canon thing will turn out to be rubbish. Miguel's description didn't really make sense as it was impersonating a dead version of yourself isn't really breaking a canon point. And Gwen seems to have broken canon without deliberate intervention.
[close]
Further spoilery speculation (I haven't read the comics):
Spoiler alert
Miguel uses claws, doesn't have a sense of humour, and injects himself with some sort of serum. Probably not an actual spiderman. And he developed dimension hopping technology to bring back his dead family - who else do we know who's tried that?
So Miguel is actually an alternate dimension Kingpin. He fights in a rage like Kingpin, and it also explains how spiderman can afford to build a giant futuristic base. LYRA might be a front for Dr Octopus, maybe.
This Kingpin is getting revenge on Spiderman by tricking him into letting their loved ones die by telling them the universe will end if they save them. And he's trying to do it to as many different spidermen as possible, to make sure there isn't a dimension where spiderman is happy. I think it's hinted that Miles destroying the collider in the first film is what Miguel blames for causing his dimension to collapse, which is why he's so angry at Mile's in particular and why he's set it up that Miles is to blame for everything.
[close]

MojoJojo

It was weird that we went back to Miles after he escaped. Should have just been Gwen reconciling with her dad and getting her dimension hopping doodah. The Miles stuff feels like it would have been a good place to start the next movie, and it makes the post climax bit drag on too long.
Could have been tightened up in other places too - don't think we needed to go over Gwen killing Peter Parker in so much detail, and the fight with renaissance vulture went on too long. It's annoying to have a long film and have it end on cliffhanger.

Dayraven

Spoiler alert
The comics version of Miguel is Spider-Man 2099, and has the claws as well. Doesn't mean there won't be a twist in the film version, though.

I'm thinking Miguel probably honestly believes the canon stuff, and can maybe be redeemed by learning he's wrong. We do see him jumping in to help during the Vulture sequence, a pure manipulator might find an excuse to stay out instead.
[close]