Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:20:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tarantino's Final Film - 'The Movie Critic'

Started by Minami Minegishi, June 20, 2023, 04:46:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oosp

I hear Tarantino got his middle toe removed

shoulders

Can't wait to strap on my North Face™ Gilet and go watch EVENT CINEMA

Dr Rock

I hope there's guns and violence in this.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: madhair60 on June 25, 2023, 11:38:19 AMi think over-rated is the stupidest, most meaningless description almost anyone could ever give anything

This, and talking about a thing's awful fan base I always find a bit frustrating. I want to hear what you thought and felt about a thing, who gives fuck about a bunch of other cunts

madhair60

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on June 27, 2023, 12:29:59 PMThis, and talking about a thing's awful fan base I always find a bit frustrating. I want to hear what you thought and felt about a thing, who gives fuck about a bunch of other cunts

yeah i really hate that, it really poisons talk about a lot of things. fully agree with this.

(noting the hypocrisy to some extent of my previous criticism of fanbases but i think that's a more general toxic environment thing that happens to manifest in groups)

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: madhair60 on June 27, 2023, 02:18:45 PMyeah i really hate that, it really poisons talk about a lot of things. fully agree with this.

(noting the hypocrisy to some extent of my previous criticism of fanbases but i think that's a more general toxic environment thing that happens to manifest in groups)

Yea I guess there's a place to chat shit about fanbases, but when I'm expecting someone to talk about the thing, and they end up talking about something else, not mentioning the thing its self, can feel a bit annoying, like they didn't even watch the thing, were just sat there in the cinema looking around, going, God, look at the these cunts - that one especially, goooood

Thinking of having beans tonight, but christ, some of those people who eat beans, shiit

Thinking of leaving my wife, the way people go on about her online, she's really overrated

dead-ced-dead

Quite late to the conversation, but I think a smaller film following one subject may just be what the doctor ordered for Quentin, whose over indulgence partly relates to his love of fascination of ensembles.

It's a boring, wanky opinion to have, but I find myself revisiting Jackie Brown and Kill Bill over a lot of his other films because despite the large cast, the film is anchored by one person.

Oosp

Blue Jam

Brad Pitt has been cast:

https://deadline.com/2024/02/brad-pitt-quentin-tarantino-the-movie-critic-reunite-1235811357/

Personally I'm not convinced he'll be playing the title role, iirc the eponymous character was 35 at the time the film is set. No offence to Brad Pitt but I don't think he could pass for 35. Unless Tarantino wants to play around with de-ageing tech and I really hope he doesn't.

druss

My girlfriend hadn't seen any Tarantino movies so have been slowly working our way through them all over the past six months or so. Finished yesterday with Jackie Brown and Death Proof.

Death Proof was much more fun than I remember when I first saw it. I don't know if it was because we watched the full grindhouse double bill but whilst it wasn't one of his best films it was a lot more watchable than Once Upon a Time in Hollywood which despite having a few great scenes was his most self indulgent and overlong film by a mile. Probably a really good two hour film somewhere in the 2 hour 40 minute slog that was released.

Jackie Brown on the other hand did not outstay its welcome despite being of similar length. I like some later Tarantino films but it's a shame that he never made a film like Jackie Brown again. Final ranking of his films after a rewatch:

Pulp Fiction
Kill Bill
Jackie Brown
Hateful Eight
Reservoir Dogs
Inglorious Bastards
Deathproof
Django Unchained
Once Upon a Time In Hollywood

iamcoop

I've tried to watch Hateful Eight about four times but I just find it so interminable I've never made it past about an hour. And I like a bit of the ol' foot lad

EDIT: Also as a side point if this is his final film I think it would be a shame that he never had a crack at a "proper" horror film. He clearly has a lot of love for the genre and I think he'd be quite good at it.

QDRPHNC

The only one of his films I haven't seen the Death Proof. Of the rest I think Kill Bill might be my least favourite, which feels weird to say because I know most people rank it highly.

13 schoolyards

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 02, 2024, 09:31:08 AMBrad Pitt has been cast:

https://deadline.com/2024/02/brad-pitt-quentin-tarantino-the-movie-critic-reunite-1235811357/

Personally I'm not convinced he'll be playing the title role, iirc the eponymous character was 35 at the time the film is set. No offence to Brad Pitt but I don't think he could pass for 35. Unless Tarantino wants to play around with de-ageing tech and I really hope he doesn't.

It'll be the critic (played by who knows) somehow is befriended by a faded Hollywood icon (played by Pitt) to get the real scoop on how movies are made plus also murder a bunch of people because presumably that's how movies are made

greenman

Critic goes behind the scenes on Edmonds 80's TV career.

druss

Quote from: QDRPHNC on February 03, 2024, 02:46:01 AMThe only one of his films I haven't seen the Death Proof. Of the rest I think Kill Bill might be my least favourite, which feels weird to say because I know most people rank it highly.
Kill Bill is very much style over substance, I just fucking love the style.

kalowski

I had an epiphany over Pulp Fiction recently. Loved it at the time, can't stand it now. That film is style over substance but I don't like the style any more.

AliasTheCat

Jackie Brown was always my favourite, though I enjoyed Once Upon a Time in Hollywood way more than I expected to as well. Personally, I got less out of Kill Bill, Basterds, Django and Hateful 8, they were fine and perfectly well done, but they didn't feel special to me in the way his earlier releases had and I've never felt the need to rewatch any of them, which is probably a shame. I always do go and watch them though.

Someone upthread mentioned him being a gateway to enjoying film as an artform for people of my generation, which I hadn't considered but is absolutely true - I suspect I wouldn't have found out about Corbucci and Fulci et al in the 90s without him, but it's more about those links to other, earlier filmakers rather than the films themselves in his case, unlike watching Lynch or Cronenburg and being confronted with something different for the first time.

But he's always been a fixture throughout my life and it will still be sad when there won't be any more of his new films to look forward to. I can't see myself ever reading any of his novels.

QT had a mood swing and canceled the film. Quoth the protagonist in the film that will never be, "It stinks!"

Garam

This ten film limit he's put on himself is so annoying

Bobby Treetops

Just as long as he doesn't stink it up by giving himself a role in the new film.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Apparently he's not making this after all.

Quote from: 13 schoolyards on February 03, 2024, 04:55:07 AMIt'll be the critic (played by who knows) somehow is befriended by a faded Hollywood icon (played by Pitt) to get the real scoop on how movies are made plus also murder a bunch of people because presumably that's how movies are made
Pitt was going to reprise Cliff Booth, so The Movie Critic was going to be from the same part of the Tarantinoverse as Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. Which, depending on which theories you believe, would also place it on the same plane of that universe as Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Django, Inglourious Basterds and the Hateful Eight. Not that it matters now, of course.

madhair60

Blumf

Doesn't Quentin need to do a proper sci-fi film, set on a spaceship, in space? He's covered a load of other pulp genres, seems like sci-fi is the missing piece.

SteveDave

Quent's going to die and Kevin Smith is going to make this movie critic film as a tribute.

Captain Z

Oh wow, is it ok to say you like Kill Bill on here? I would have thought that was equivalent to saying you liked Oasis' Be Here Now.

madhair60

Quote from: druss on April 19, 2024, 03:19:13 PMYou should put a limit on your posts if you love the idea so much.

:( i just wanted to know why you find it annoying

Quote from: Captain Z on April 19, 2024, 05:16:53 PMOh wow, is it ok to say you like Kill Bill on here? I would have thought that was equivalent to saying you liked Oasis' Be Here Now.

Kill Bill is a whole lot of fun, prizes to be won

Magnum Valentino

Great indeed, love those films. Kill Bill 1 remains the biggest group I've ever been to a film with. Couple of interlocking groups of friends with crossover mutual members all got together. Great night.

Saw 2 with my wife only and still prefer it.