Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:16:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Oppenheimer (2023) (Christopher Nolan's doing his film again)

Started by Blue Jam, June 22, 2023, 10:52:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Was looking forward to this. Just saw the trailer at the cinema:

Hmmmm... looks a bit cheesy tbh...

Mister Six

This is opening the same day as Barbie in the US, so Mrs Six and I are going to buy a ticket to Oppenheimer and sneak into Barbie after.

Blue Jam

Love me some nucular bum stuff but honestly more tempted by Barbie

Butchers Blind

Gulftastic

They really do seem to going all in on this one.

Seems an odd choice to get this kind of push.

13 schoolyards

Quote from: Gulftastic on June 23, 2023, 07:48:10 AMThey really do seem to going all in on this one.

Seems an odd choice to get this kind of push.

Nolan left Warners after they screwed up the covid release of Tenet (or, you know, maybe it wasn't that great) so his new producers Universal are going all out to make this a success and get him to stay with them - he is pretty much the only director left who can make non-superhero blockbusters that audiences (usually) come out for.

Inspector Norse

dissolute ocelot

GMTV

I don't think I've seen anything with Jack Quaid in, or at least I can't remember if I have. But he looks EXACTLY like he's been generated via AI as the child of Dennis Quaid and Meg Ryan.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

It's going to bomb.

Having been underwhelmed by his last two efforts (not helped by paying through the nose to see them at the BFI IMAX) I was thinking Nolan needed to do something a bit more low key and character focused -ironically, he seems to have forgotten Memento. I'm not really feeling all that enthusiastic about this though. The fact that he shot a biopic in IMAX makes me think that his attention all went on one big fuck off explosion.

Minami Minegishi

Yeah, I don't mean to threadshit because I really despise Nolan and all his awful films since the Insomnia remake, but that trailer makes this look even worse than normal. Some of that dalogue would be vastly helped with some Bane style masking.

"We're in a race against the NAZEES. And I know what it means if the NAZEES have a bomb."

"Let's go recroot some SAI-ANTISTS"

"Why? WHY? Maybe because this is the most important thing to ever happen in the HISTORY OF THE WORLD!"

Fucksakes posh-boy, spend less time on your IMAX wanking and more time on the screenplay, especially as Lynch just did this properly.

Blue Jam

Sitting through three hours of dialogue of this quality would seriously test my will to live.

Lots of mileage in a biopic of Oppy and his bestie Richard Feynman, but I'm not sure I want to see how they inevitably fuck up the portrayal of Feynman.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Minami Minegishi on June 23, 2023, 01:20:58 PM"Why? WHY? Maybe because this is the most important thing to happen in the HISTORY OF THE WORLD!"
I hadn't seen the trailer, so i thought you were just taking the piss, but no, that is actually the line.

Sonny_Jim

I'm a bit of a nuclear bomb nerd and I like Christopher Nolan movies, even Tenet, so I'm super psyched for this.

Please don't let it be shit.....

elliszeroed

Ray Monk wrote a good book on Oppenheimer- Inside the Circle, if anyone's interested.

His bio on Wittgenstein is also great.

Lord Mandrake

For something shot on IMAX it looks a bit flat, 90's Oliver Stone vibes.

PlanktonSideburns

elliszeroed

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on June 23, 2023, 07:27:59 PMFor something shot on IMAX it looks a bit flat, 90's Oliver Stone vibes.

He just watched episode 8 of Twin Peaks: The Return and thought, 'now there's an idea!'

PlanktonSideburns

Yea this looks like it might be episode 8 for people who's ideal holiday destination is a premier inn

PlanktonSideburns

Einstein giving him an occular fuckoff notice made me laugh though

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: elliszeroed on June 23, 2023, 09:26:47 PMHe just watched episode 8 of Twin Peaks: The Return and thought, 'now there's an idea!'

You're outing me as someone that's never seen Twin Peaks ie; an uncultured swine.

Minami Minegishi

Just watch episode 8 of The Return.

I assume that Nolan will have his cake and eat it by showing how much of a GENIUS Oppenheimer is at stopping the NAZEES and how cinematically AWE-INSPIRING the test explosion looks, whilst also moralising just enough to keep the Picturehouse liberals happy.

Lynch makes it look like the gates of hell have been opened by faceless bureaucrats, unleashing horror and evil upon the world.

Butchers Blind

Hope the score to this will be dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM etc.

phes

Would've been easier to keep a straight face through this trailer if it was a hip-hop musical peppered with OP-OP-OP-OP-Ennnnnnnnnnnheeeeeeimer REWIND *rap show EXPLOSION* jingles

What a crock of shite

PlanktonSideburns

dissolute ocelot

Do they have an AI CG Peter Sellers to play Edward Teller?

madhair60

Quote from: Butchers Blind on June 24, 2023, 08:31:12 PMHope the score to this will be dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM etc.

It's gonna be a boppenheimer

phantom_power

Quote from: Minami Minegishi on June 23, 2023, 11:43:14 PMI assume that Nolan will have his cake and eat it by showing how much of a GENIUS Oppenheimer is at stopping the NAZEES and how cinematically AWE-INSPIRING the test explosion looks, whilst also moralising just enough to keep the Picturehouse liberals happy.

How's that having your cake and eating it? That is pretty much the standard opinion on the issue

Blue Jam

Was at the cinema again just now and saw a different trailer with more bombs and less dialogue. Did Nolan see the reactions to the first trailer and think "Shiiiiiiit, better put out another one"?