Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:19:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Oppenheimer (2023) (Christopher Nolan's doing his film again)

Started by Blue Jam, June 22, 2023, 10:52:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

In the reply she uses "womxn" which riled just about everyone up, because it's an outdated second-wave feminism expression but it looks like some fancy new prounoun thing

Not to be that person indeed.

machotrouts

Complaining about age gaps specifically in reference to sexist double standards in movie relationships is not "age gap Twitter". Age Gap Twitter would be if she was calling Oppenheimer a groomer and complaining about the power dynamics of only one partner in a relationship having a nuclear bomb

13 schoolyards

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on July 09, 2023, 01:41:53 PMSeems to be one person who can't comprehend an actress playing a person who's pretty much the same age as she is during the events of the film (and didn't look anything like Florence Pugh anyway), and an actor playing a character across several time periods because despite his age he looks young enough to do that. Tweet goes viral and everyone goes bananas.

https://twitter.com/ginagemeni/status/1677713222865133569

Almost feels like gloating at the poor sods in the asylum, looking at film commentators on twitter

phantom_power

Is that where people are complaining about the age of the actress playing a character despite that character dying at 30?

The Culture Bunker

I'm unclear what the person criticising the age gap between Murphy and Pugh wants - that they should have cast a younger actor than Murphy, an older actor than Pugh or more than one to play Oppenheimer across different points of his life?

And I'm sure it's been mentioned in those threads, but Murphy is stupidly handsome enough to get away with playing someone a fair bit younger than his actual age.

Err, anyways - not really sure if I can be bothered with the film. Feels like an actual documentary, of which I'm sure there are plenty, would be more interesting.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: phantom_power on July 10, 2023, 11:34:08 AMIs that where people are complaining about the age of the actress playing a character despite that character dying at 30?

One of the posts I saw seemed to just be appalled at a 6-year age gap for a couple in their 30's.

QuoteIt is a ridiculous trend. Oppenheimer's wife was 6 years his junior and he had an affair with a woman 10 years younger, so at least the fact that this makes him look like a creep is accurate.

https://twitter.com/SeeYouInNJ/status/1677746247237500928

I don't think any of these people should be taken particularly seriously.

phantom_power

If 6 years in your 30s is unacceptable what is? Do they have to have been in the same school year?

Sebastian Cobb

bgmnts

Creating the atomic bomb and dooming humanity to oblivion is fine but marrying someone six years your junior!?!?!??!

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: phantom_power on July 10, 2023, 12:21:10 PMDo they have to have been in the same school year?

That's unacceptable too, you're a groomer if you've known them since school

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I wonder what Pugh's former partner Zach Braff (21 years older than her) think about it.

Sebastian Cobb

Emily Blunt and Cillian Murphy just fucked off the premiere 'cos of the strike. Good on 'em.

frajer

Quote from: bgmnts on July 10, 2023, 12:24:42 PMCreating the atomic bomb and dooming humanity to oblivion is fine but marrying someone six years your junior!?!?!??!

Oppenheimer? Cradlerobber, more like!

Mister Six

Quote from: phantom_power on July 10, 2023, 11:34:08 AMIs that where people are complaining about the age of the actress playing a character despite that character dying at 30?

She died aged 60. It's a reasonable point, I guess, depending on the contents of the film. If we see Oppenheimer - played by Murphy - at multiple points in his life but Pugh's character only when she's 30ish, then fair enough. Otherwise, why not hire an older actress and make her look younger the same way they do Murphy?

phantom_power

Quote from: Mister Six on July 14, 2023, 12:13:30 PMShe died aged 60. It's a reasonable point, I guess, depending on the contents of the film. If we see Oppenheimer - played by Murphy - at multiple points in his life but Pugh's character only when she's 30ish, then fair enough. Otherwise, why not hire an older actress and make her look younger the same way they do Murphy?

I am probably getting my wires crossed with some other crap Twitter scandal but your point stands

beanheadmcginty

Mister Six

Retinend

Ever read the Christopher Nolan wikipedia page?

Quote from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_NolanNolan's works are typically characterised by epistemology and existentialism. Infused with a metaphysical outlook, they explore ethics, the construction of time, and the malleable nature of memory and personal identity. His work is permeated with mathematically inspired images and concepts

What a load of pseudy shite.

"characterised by epistemology" - what, the Batman films?

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Retinend on July 15, 2023, 09:03:32 AMEver read the Christopher Nolan wikipedia page?

What a load of pseudy shite.

"characterised by epistemology" - what, the Batman films?

Yeah, I've never really understood this. Inception is one of the dumber "intelligent films" I've seen. I'm not sure how he managed to take a concept with such limitless imaginative potential and make it so utterly boring. I don't think it's something a genuinely intelligent filmmaker would make given such an idea.

Darren Aronofsky is a bit of a hack who makes largely bad films, but even his work is at least more deserving of those characterisations (whether or not they're successful in their attempts).

greenman

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on July 15, 2023, 07:33:05 PMYeah, I've never really understood this. Inception is one of the dumber "intelligent films" I've seen. I'm not sure how he managed to take a concept with such limitless imaginative potential and make it so utterly boring. I don't think it's something a genuinely intelligent filmmaker would make given such an idea.

Darren Aronofsky is a bit of a hack who makes largely bad films, but even his work is at least more deserving of those characterisations (whether or not they're successful in their attempts).

I think Nolan makes decent enough action thrillers but really he's become the demigod of the film bro, basically comes up with films that make dumb people feel smart. Even Tenet got a bit of backlash from that audience because it demanded somewhat more of the audience in terms of following the plot.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: greenman on July 15, 2023, 07:41:20 PMI think Nolan makes decent enough action thrillers but really he's become the demigod of the film bro, basically comes up with films that make dumb people feel smart.

Yeah, I like Memento, Insomnia and The Prestige quite a bit (although the source material is doing at least some of the heavy lifting for the latter), and the first two Batmans were fine enough. I think I'd have less of an issue with him if he weren't actively courting this genius auteur reputation he's undeservedly achieved.

The tide may turn a bit, though. Audiences have access to a much broader range of entertainment compared with the 2000s and, with companies like A24 pumping some more intelligent and tasteful fare into mainstream discussion, Nolan's limitations might become more obvious.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on July 15, 2023, 07:33:05 PMYeah, I've never really understood this. Inception is one of the dumber "intelligent films" I've seen. I'm not sure how he managed to take a concept with such limitless imaginative potential and make it so utterly boring. I don't think it's something a genuinely intelligent filmmaker would make given such an idea.

At least daz's work fizzes with the excitement of a teenage garage rock band sometimes. Mother is a stupid film that swan dives up its own bum, but does it with such glee that I felt like clapping at the end.

Nolan puts on a vinyl record of generic classical music, turns round a picture of a of his wife on the mantle piece, then does a full military salute to you before sucking himself off, no one needs that

greenman

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on July 15, 2023, 07:48:27 PMYeah, I like Memento, Insomnia and The Prestige quite a bit (although the source material is doing at least some of the heavy lifting for the latter), and the first two Batmans were fine enough. I think I'd have less of an issue with him if he weren't actively courting this genius auteur reputation he's undeservedly achieved.

The tide may turn a bit, though. Audiences have access to a much broader range of entertainment compared with the 2000s and, with companies like A24 pumping some more intelligent and tasteful fare into mainstream discussion, Nolan's limitations might become more obvious.

I do think he can still make a pretty good action thriller, the last couple of films I actually liked more because they seemed to dial back the self importance compared to Inception or Interstellar whilst not having to hold the audiences hand quite as much with over exposition.

I tend to think though that the film bro culture is an outgrowth of "alpha" culture, Nolan I think has the benefit that he both plays to(or at least not actively against) the politics of such people and also plays to their vanity. Really that whole culture for me is made up of men wallowing in arrogance, Nolan appeals because the films are easy to follow whilst giving the impression of importance and intelligence, such people are simply not going to test themselves watching Tarkovsky or something were the film might be smarter than you and require you to grow at a viewer as there already convinced they have the ultimate taste in film and anything smarter is "pretentious".

Noodle Lizard

I couldn't really tell you what his politics are. There's that bit in (I think) The Dark Knight Rises which tacitly endorses The Patriot Act, but it does so in such a basic "has to be done" sort of way that it's rendered essentially meaningless. A lot of his work is oddly retrograde in that sense - it does nothing to challenge any received wisdom, which is fine for a blockbuster, but makes me scratch my head when the "genius thinker" chatter comes up.

13 schoolyards

Quote from: greenman on July 15, 2023, 07:41:20 PMbasically comes up with films that make dumb people feel smart.

Exactly this. His "smart" thrillers (in contrast to something like Dunkirk) have one idea that they express in a pretty basic way, but because they signpost the idea constantly people think they're actually about that idea and not just using it as an excuse for some okay action.

It seems pretty obvious at this point that he's moved into the "one for them, one for me" mode with his last few films, and if he can keep making ponderous ominous historical dramas I'm fine with that. Tenet was basically Inception but with time instead of dreams, only running action sequences backwards doesn't make for great action sequences which is why I'll never watch it again

bgmnts

I assume his genius label is just in regards to his filmmaking, rather than any messaging or commentary. Otherwise that is pure pretentiousness.

I'm not a huge fan of his films I think they're usually visually boring, but I think Memento is genuinely a great film and captures that sense of short term amnesia brilliantly. But his big BWAAHHHH spectacles I'm not arsed.

Head Gardener

trailer for a new doc which will be worth watching beforehand (it's up on the *cough*, torrents)