Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:21:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Saw X (Saw movie)

Started by mjwilson, July 30, 2023, 09:48:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BritishHobo

It's so much fun watching his stupid bollocks traps and trying to unpick whatever mad moral highground he's supposed to be coming from. I love the insurance one, but that has the absolute bollocks trap where yer insurance man has to choose one person to die out of A: his nice old lady secretary with diabetes or B: his young, healthy file clerk, neither of whom have done anything wrong. It's designed to test the formula that underpins his insurance decisions, but why fuck do they get the short end of that stick?!

BritishHobo

To go into spoilers for this one,
Spoiler alert
as he's more of a protagonist here, and there is a villain he comes up against, it's very funny to watch him act appalled by the new villain's actions. When she steps on the head of the drug addict and he's furious. "Get her an ambulance! She won her test, she deserves to live!" John, you just chained her up and blasted her with radiation until she smashes her foot and hand with a big hammer! You're not a person who can argue on this point.
[close]

madhair60

when Hoffman breaks out of the reverse bear trap at the end of Saw VI it is one of the most metal things ever put on film. I fucking love it so much

oggyraiding

I saw a clip of two of the traps from this film. I will spoiler them.

Spoiler alert
One is where a dude has tubes attached to his eyes and the vacuum gets stronger and stronger and will suck his eyes out, unless he turns a dial on his arm rest up by five. Each increase on the dial breaks one of the fingers on his other hand. Break five fingers or get eyes sucked out? Pretty easy decision, mate.

One where a dude has to cut a chunk out of his own brain without anaesthesia, or a very hot mask will clamp on his face and he will be facially burned to death.
[close]

Do people watch these films for the story? I feel like they're like a more a sadistic version of Final Destination - you watch for the wacky convoluted death sequences, not the plot.

Kankurette

How the fuck can you even cut out a chunk of your own brain?

Final Destination was great and I liked the second one, but it just got stupider and stupider after that. There's only so many times you can repeat the formula. It becomes less about the plot and more about watching people die in stupid and gruesome ways. It's like Mortal Kombat and the devs having to come up with dumber and more convoluted fatalities. Sub-Zero goes from ye olde spine rip to creating a clone of himself made of ice and holding an axe, impaling his opponent on the axe upside down and THEN doing a spine rip.

madhair60

Quote from: Kankurette on September 30, 2023, 11:00:46 PMHow the fuck can you even cut out a chunk of your own brain?

with a knife and a couple of mirrors. it's easy! why not give it a go?

The Late Satoru Iwata

Quote from: BritishHobo on September 30, 2023, 06:43:41 PMIt's so much fun watching his stupid bollocks traps and trying to unpick whatever mad moral highground he's supposed to be coming from. I love the insurance one, but that has the absolute bollocks trap where yer insurance man has to choose one person to die out of A: his nice old lady secretary with diabetes or B: his young, healthy file clerk, neither of whom have done anything wrong. It's designed to test the formula that underpins his insurance decisions, but why fuck do they get the short end of that stick?!

Obviously Jigsaw's morality is fucked but I do have problems with the games that use innocent people (Saw 3D is a prime one here) who end up dead, often horribly. I guess in universe you have to say, well, I guess
Spoiler alert
Hoffman or whoever
[close]
decided to go off book again.

Kankurette

Amanda's traps were meant to be unwinnable, IIRC.

chocolate teapot

this was great, had a lot of fun.

another Mr. Lizard

Quote from: Kankurette on September 30, 2023, 11:00:46 PMHow the fuck can you even cut out a chunk of your own brain?

To be fair, the victim does mention scream a couple of times that he hasn't got the faintest idea how to get started on this task

Obel

Yeah I loved this, top 3 Saw easily. And I smartly picked the right seat in the cinema to be just far enough away from the constantly talking/phone using cunts films of this type attract, so my blood was only mildly boiling over.

Obviously if you don't like Saw films then this is not going to convert anybody, but for Saw fans this is just the stuff. I wasn't jarred at all by Amanda and John clearly being 20 years older than they should be, it's easier to deal with than seeing de-aging effects.

It wouldn't be Saw without Jigsaw's absurd godlike ability to predict human behaviour too.

Spoiler alert
Placing the trolley just far enough away from them and expecting Cecilia to do something like cutting out the dead lass's intestines to use them as a lasso to grab the trolley so she can make a phone call to call her boyfriend to say about three words that gave him enough information for him to come to the warehouse so they could get them in a position where they think they are in control so that Jisgaw and presumably Amanda (but actually a child) can be put in the bloodboarding see saw trap so that in the meantime BOTH Cecilia and her bloke go upstairs, not one upstairs and the other downstairs to watch the others, BOTH of them so they can eventually find the bag that locks them in the room for their ACTUAL trap.

I mean, to be fair, it was nice that they included the bit with the kid so that for once you see one of Jigsaw's schemes NOT go perfectly to plan. Tobin Bell played that bit absolutely perfectly I thought; the franchise would be nothing without him.
[close]

BritishHobo

It was definitely a fun novelty to
Spoiler alert
see John in a trap for the first time. And very funny to have a film where John and Amanda pitched against worse villains. Throwing the kid in to give them a bit of moral high ground. Agreed on Tobin Bell; he's so great that it makes it easy to overlook the daft inconsistencies in Jigsaw's silly little worldview. It's an absolute joy to watch him in the first half hour, doing the sort of thing Jim Broadbent does a lot these days, an affable old man sat on park benches, contemplating his life and mortality. Except this old man has a notebook full of drawings of big machines that rip people's heads apart. Mental. I love it.
[close]

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I watched all of the original run a couple of years ago (up to, but not including Jigsaw). They're pretty good fun for what they are, i.e. a thin excuse for lots of creative bloodletting. At some point though, the writers clearly went a bit up their arses and started treating Jigsaw like he was some profound anti-hero, as opposed to the overgrown edgelord he actually is. The problem with writing a genius character is that the writer has to also be a genius, otherwise, they have to make the character supernaturally perceptive (per Obel's post above) or make all the other characters morons.

johnlogan

I liked this one, and didn't like any of the others that I had seen before this one. I think the anticipation of waiting to see the other shoe drop for the first half of the film is what makes it. It's obvious what's going to make him bust out the bear traps, but you can't wait to see it.

It's also a case where being the billionth sequel really adds to it as well. Had this been the first film, there's a possibility that it could have been another dad's revenge fantasy like Taken or something. It's knowing that your man is a big mad bastard that's fun. I thought it was a hoot, when my memory of the other films was that they were very self-serious, and it felt like the twist endings were usually some absolute bullshit that you could not have possibly anticipated. Might be remembering them wrong, though.

Noodle Lizard

Just saw it yesterday. It's morally all over the fucking place in a way you don't often get with horror now. Jigsaw is the undisputed hero of this film, but even forgetting all the other vaguely-justified tortures he's been responsible for over the years, this is a film which largely centers on him
Spoiler alert
torturing desperate, impoverished Mexicans - get 'em, Jiggy!
[close]

In all seriousness, I did have a good time watching it. Significantly better than Spiral, anyway. I might be softening in my old age, but I found the
Spoiler alert
pipe-bombs in the arms
[close]
bit properly wince-inducing, when I've never really been bothered by any of the other Saws.

Goldentony

Had a laugh with this stupid shit film but I feel physically fucked because I nearly fainted during one bit, like delirious to the point of thinking I could get away with lying down on the floor til I feel better and the noises stopped

paddy72

Is a decent theatrical version of this 'available' somewhere, or have posters here seen it at the cinema?

Noodle Lizard

Should be "available" by the end of the month.

El Unicornio, mang

Yeah, it's streaming digitally from Oct 20th

Goldentony

agree with Noodle Lizards review also, it's demented that they've basically made an Adventures Of Jigsaw type thing where he's the hero and

Spoiler alert
Amanda is Scrappy Doo
[close]

extremely weird experience with the opening too, the first 45 minutes felt like an episode of a very glib medical drama you' see on E4 or something that they had to add

Spoiler alert
the janitor being fucked up in a dream sequence to because they'd realsied they'd literally just made a very glib medical drama and had to add someone getting killed
[close]

I mean I suppose the idea itself is a fun way of executing it when you get to what anyones there for but I honestly thought at points id paid for just a sad look at the life of this cunt when he isnt building cast iron rube goldberg machines in four days

Egyptian Feast

Saw this and enjoyed it, though I had higher expectations due to the positive reviews, so was mildly disappointed it wasn't that much better than the panned earlier films. I think I enjoyed the first three films and VI more, but look forward to them figuring out how to squeeze a few more movies out of the last year of his life.

Spoiler alert
My favourite bit was the reveal that the eyeball sucking trap was a little daydream he was having watching the janitor rifle through the patient's possessions.

I thought they were a bit unfair to the decapitation machine and brain surgery victims, who really did their best considering. She'd almost sucked enough gloop out of her leg and his chunk of brain had nearly melted, they'd already done their bit, but still died horribly and were assessed as having failed the tests by John.

Compare them to the bunch of idiots in Saw V who had a much easier set of tasks, but mostly suffered avoidable deaths because they were too stupid and cunty to work with each other.
[close]

BritishHobo

Yeah, it's dead unfair sometimes. You can't build in a buffer of 15-to-30 seconds to allow for the very understandable AHH FUCK WHAT THE FUCKING HELL IS GOING ON panic?

Mister Six

Isn't the point that he's a cunt and wants people to suffer? It's not really supposed to be fair beyond a nominal nod to an escape route, is it?

Goldentony

he's the hero now, he's the unproblematic confirmed 'PROTAGONIST' of 'THE SAW OMNIVERSE' in which he's now ruled over by a millionaire child and a gobshite in a wig

madhair60

this film was unbelievably horrible even by Saw standards. naturally i loved it.

Mister Six

Does this kid survive? In the Wikipedia description he's last mentioned being waterboarded with blood (?) but then no mention of him after that.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Mister Six on October 20, 2023, 05:14:02 AMDoes this kid survive? In the Wikipedia description he's last mentioned being waterboarded with blood (?) but then no mention of him after that.

It's in the Wikipedia description. Carlos is the kid:

Spoiler alert
John, Amanda, and Carlos (to whom John gave the money) leave the facility while she is left imprisoned.
[close]

Mister Six

Ohh right cheers. I was a bit tired and thought Carlos was another accomplice or something.

Goldentony

he volleys the kid up the arse really hard and tells him to fuck off down the road a piece, credits, little help from my friends by joe cocker, post credits with thor

SteveDave

Good to see Guy Garvey follow his wife into acting with this film.