Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:48:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Middle of the Road 80s Films

Started by checkoutgirl, November 01, 2023, 08:18:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Blumf on November 02, 2023, 12:43:24 AMMate! For Brion James' British accent alone, it's a belter.

Tango and Cash is great. It's for 12 year old boys.

Extremely strong nostalgia from Vice Versa. Takes me back.

checkoutgirl

Any Which Way But Loose. The name along screams mediocrity.

beanheadmcginty

I was going to say Spaced Invaders, Bird on a Wire, Narrow Margin and Air America, but they are ALL from 1990. Very middling year that.

phantom_power

Baby Boom
Stakeout
Three Men and a Baby
Mannequin
Down and Out in Beverly Hills

Running Scared is always bigger in my mind than it actually was, the cover of Sweet Freedom (which I played to death) was basicaly a massive promo for the film, I can't even remeber if I ever saw it now I think about it.

Mid 80s was full of big tunes from middle of the road films.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Shaky on November 02, 2023, 02:53:08 AMSome of these films are far too well known to be totally MOR! Big?

I included 'Big' because it was another role reversal movie. Big was indeed, big.

monkfromhavana

Famous Mortimer

Baby Boom

The Pick-Up Artist

Another Stakeout

Suspect

The Fourth Protocol

Nadine

Maid To Order

It's an interesting exercise - can't be too big or too obscure, can't have anyone too famous in it (or if it does, it needs to have not been a hit), can't have too exciting a name...

monkfromhavana

I actually think this genre of films is probably my favourite.

Tequila Sunrise

Someone to Watch Over Me

Runaway

An Innocent Man

Class of 1999

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: monkfromhavana on November 02, 2023, 02:00:35 PMClass of 1999

If this is going in then I'd like to add another Pam Grier vehicle, Fort Apache, The Bronx.

Also Batteries not Included, maybe?

Side-note, it's 1991 so not really allowed here, but BNI reminds me, has anyone else seen the film And You Thought Your Parents Were Weird? Where some inventor lads have the spirit of their dead dad take over their robot?

superthunderstingcar

Quote from: phantom_power on November 02, 2023, 02:33:51 PMF/X 2
I'm surprised there's not more sequels being nominated. For my part, I'll add Short Circuit 2 and Police Academy 4.

QDRPHNC

Haven't seen this in years, but remember it being a cut above the usual Chevy Chase 80s stuff (aside from the original Vacation of course). Based on a novel, weirdly, by the same guy who wrote the books that the films Let it Ride (with Richard Dreyfuss) and Quick Change (Bill Murray) were based on (and fuck my hat, there was an earlier version of Quick Change in 1985 called Hold Up).

I would also have suggested The 'Burbs, but I am glad to see it's almost become the proper cult classic it deserves to be.

Sebastian Cobb

This was probably one of the first 'grown up' films I was allowed to stay up for when I was really young.

Watched it when it was repeated on tv as an adult in a houseshare and we all enjoyed it so I do have a bit of a soft spot.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 01, 2023, 07:24:19 PMRunaway Train

This is a legit classic.

Don't know what's going on with the border, but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq3oz7FVHVM

that mix of visuals and soundtrack ... chills.

Quote from: non capisco on November 01, 2023, 08:17:06 PMInteresting how Midnight Run could easily have been a prime example of one of these but it's entirely elevated into something special by De Niro and Grodin's chemistry.

Quite. I caught Gene Hackman's 1990 thriller Narrow Margin, and it's alright. But it's no Midnight Run.

phantom_power

Throw Momma From the Train is a bit too odd to be an MOR film I think

checkoutgirl

Quote from: phantom_power on November 02, 2023, 09:25:05 AMBaby Boom
Stakeout
Three Men and a Baby
Mannequin
Down and Out in Beverly Hills

Steak Out and Down and Out are way too good. They were fairly ubiquitous on telly though so that element fits. I watched Baby Boom a couple of years ago and that is perfectly middling. Diane Keaton decompresses from New York rat race with a baby, a mansion and an apple sauce business in upstate New York.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Better Midlands on November 02, 2023, 10:05:28 AMRunning Scared is always bigger in my mind than it actually was, the cover of Sweet Freedom (which I played to death) was basicaly a massive promo for the film, I can't even remeber if I ever saw it now I think about it.

Mid 80s was full of big tunes from middle of the road films.

What's that 80s tune that goes "shine a light on me" followed by a blast of saxophone? It was upbeat and pop like, not slow and jazzy.

monkfromhavana

Bat 21

Hackman & Glover together at last.

phantom_power

Quote from: checkoutgirl on November 02, 2023, 05:46:07 PMSteak Out and Down and Out are way too good. They were fairly ubiquitous on telly though so that element fits. I watched Baby Boom a couple of years ago and that is perfectly middling. Diane Keaton decompresses from New York rat race with a baby, a mansion and an apple sauce business in upstate New York.

Butchers Blind

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: checkoutgirl on November 02, 2023, 05:48:03 PMWhat's that 80s tune that goes "shine a light on me" followed by a blast of saxophone? It was upbeat and pop like, not slow and jazzy.
That's the song in question - 'Sweet Freedom' by Michael "King of Smooth" McDonald.

My own contributions to this thread are from that genre of sci-fi for kids: 'D.A.R.Y.L.' and 'Flight of the Navigator'. Actually, they may both be crap, but I thought they were alright when I was eight years old.

beanheadmcginty

tourism

checkoutgirl

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on November 02, 2023, 08:20:39 PMThat's the song in question - 'Sweet Freedom' by Michael "King of Smooth" McDonald.

Absolute banger.

Blumf

Quote from: checkoutgirl on November 02, 2023, 11:16:50 PM
QuoteThe Last Starfighter

Too good. Above average film for me.

Plus an early example of CGI in film, so too notable