Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:36:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

WONKA

Started by The Bumlord, December 04, 2023, 10:16:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Bumlord

Crikey. Everyone loves Hugh Grant in a jar.

The Guardian - 5/5
The Telegraph - 5/5
Evening Standard- 5/5
The Mirror - 5/5
RTE - 4.5/5
Empire - 4/5
The Independent - 4/5
iNews - 4/5
NME - 4/5
Total Film - 4/5
BBC - 3/5
Digital Spy - 3/5
IGN - 7/10
IndieWire - B+

madhair60

no credible critics there

The Bumlord

Red82

Most Roald Dahl adaptations are shit. I think The Witches is the only film I've ever liked.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Noodle Lizard

The fact that it's co-written by Simon Farnaby and seems to have enlisted half the supporting cast of Peep Show, I'm cautiously optimistic. Songs by Neil Hannon and score by yer man who did The League of Gentlemen too. If Simon Munnery pops up, it'll be as if they're targeting the elusive bald phimotic demographic.

Blumf

Quote from: Red82 on December 05, 2023, 12:21:08 AMMost Roald Dahl adaptations are shit. I think The Witches is the only film I've ever liked.

Mike Leigh's The Twits

phantom_power

It's the team behind the Paddington films, which are far better than they need to be or anyone expected them to be so I have vaguely high hopes for this

Old Nehamkin

Oh no this is going to be one of those "Actually Good" films isn't it.

non capisco

SteveDave

As much as I am baffled by the popularity of Timmy Mallet (the new name for Timotheee Chamolet) I do want to see this.

sevendaughters

a backstory for an enigmatic genius, even worse a twee Brexit soft humour one, sounds absolutely shit and visually looks completely sickening.

Bad Ambassador

Given the first Paddington film makes very explicit the subtext about immigrants finding their true homes in London, it seems unlikely.

sevendaughters

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on December 05, 2023, 11:28:50 AMGiven the first Paddington film makes very explicit the subtext about immigrants finding their true homes in London, it seems unlikely.

not really a subtext is it then

I meant more 'Brexit Britain' than 'about Brexit' but whatever

Blumf

What is the point of this film? Seems to be another stab at an origin story for Wonka, after the Burton/Depp one unsurprisingly failed. But does anyone care about Willy Wonka's back story? He's a chocolate making psychopath, that's fine, that's all we need. Don't care about his mum or dad.

Butchers Blind

Many a night I've been kept awake at night thinking, how did Willy Wonka get that chocolate factory and how did he get those orange dwarfs working for him. Thank god for this film I will now sleep easy.

sevendaughters

psychopathic chocolatier and slaver

Fambo Number Mive

Make a film of Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator instead.

Maybe next we're going to get the Netflix drama "Joe" about Grampa Joe's origin story and then "Beauregarde".

Coming to a cinema near you, February 2026: SLUGWORTH

Willy Wonka Inc is a huge multinational, unethical and horrible in the way that Nestlé is purported to be, but much more so, under the control of CEO and sole shareholder Sir Charles Bucket. Despite the business's reliance on slavery and causing endless environmental, social and ethical disasters, the multi billionaire Sir Charles is able to rely on his squeaky clean image and inspiring journey through life to maintain a place in the hearts of the public while living in untold luxury.

Despite being bankrupted and effectively put into exile, Arthur Slugworth writes his response to the piece of fascist propaganda that is Roald Dahl's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, a piece commissioned by Bucket to paint a positive picture of his rise to wealth and power, and gloss over the mysterious disappearances of children within the factory walls.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Blumf on December 05, 2023, 12:02:54 PMWhat is the point of this film? Seems to be another stab at an origin story for Wonka, after the Burton/Depp one unsurprisingly failed. But does anyone care about Willy Wonka's back story? He's a chocolate making psychopath, that's fine, that's all we need. Don't care about his mum or dad.
With almost no exceptions, prequels are rubbish.

phantom_power

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on December 05, 2023, 01:14:39 PMWith almost no exceptions, prequels are rubbish.

Godfather 2
Temple of Doom
Muppet Babies

SteveDave

They could do "Charlie Bucket And The Chocolate Factory" with the now old Charlie (played by Bill Nighy) doing the whole golden ticket thing again.

Think of all the different kind of kids they could have! Mike Yewt'yuub! It writes itself.

Fambo Number Mive

How about a film focusing on the three other grandparents and the time they had a bit more space in the bed due to Grandpa Joe being at the chocolate factory with Charlie.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Red82 on December 05, 2023, 12:21:08 AMI think The Witches is the only film I've ever liked.

Man that's some niche taste

Ignatius_S

Quote from: The Bumlord on December 04, 2023, 10:16:24 PMCrikey. Everyone loves Hugh Grant in a jar.

The Guardian - 5/5
The Telegraph - 5/5
Evening Standard- 5/5
The Mirror - 5/5
RTE - 4.5/5
Empire - 4/5
The Independent - 4/5
iNews - 4/5
NME - 4/5
Total Film - 4/5
BBC - 3/5
Digital Spy - 3/5
IGN - 7/10
IndieWire - B+

The Times gave it 2/5 - the reviewer did single out Grant for praise.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Blumf on December 05, 2023, 12:02:54 PMWhat is the point of this film? Seems to be another stab at an origin story for Wonka, after the Burton/Depp one unsurprisingly failed. But does anyone care about Willy Wonka's back story? He's a chocolate making psychopath, that's fine, that's all we need. Don't care about his mum or dad.

Netflix paid a lot of money for the Roald Dahl Story Company and owns the rights to all his works. The point will be similar to all the other stuff coming out - getting a return on investment.

Look out for a live experience coming to you soon!

Butchers Blind

How about a film centered around Grandpa Joe being a malingering, lying old cunt.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: phantom_power on December 05, 2023, 01:25:19 PMGodfather 2
Temple of Doom
Muppet Babies

First was part-sequel, part-prequel but is a really good example.

Though Pearl was the best one I've seen for a while.

Although it's open to interpretation - but I do lean towards it being so - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.